PDA

View Full Version : gas question!

muddzilla94
09-28-2010, 08:03 PM
im buying a 13:5:1 piston for my 04 450r i know everybody says only use race gas but what if i only wanted to drive down the road to my buddies house about a mile away would i be fine with 93 octane if it didnt have excessive pinging or anything lie that? also i am going to run run 104 every time i race but i dont want to burn all of it up because its hard to get were i live. any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

DnB_racing
09-29-2010, 12:26 AM
running a good octain pump gas will be ok on occasion, the damage is over time.. I wouldnt make a habit out of it though

Baileygunns
09-29-2010, 05:49 AM
13:1 is the iffy piston... Depending on where you are and what mods you have you might be able to run pump gas. You can also get fuel treatment to add to the pump fuel...

Do you have any small local airports near by? You can run 100LL (low lead) also known as AV fuel, with out issue... I think its about $4.50-$5.00 a gal here. Way cheaper then VP or any of the others.

DnB_racing
09-29-2010, 08:02 AM
One more thing to consider is the shelf life of your fuel...... if your not storing your race fuel properly or if your keeping it for months, then the race fuel will actually do more harm then a good pump gas!
store all fuel in as FULL as possible metal cans sealed tight in a controlled environment out of direct sun light. Never store gas in plastic or keep in your gas tank for more then a couple of weeks

Ruf Racing
09-29-2010, 10:44 AM
You're Kentucky elevation will help, but like mentioned, you are pushing the envelope. :macho

muddzilla94
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
thanks for all the replys, ill prolly try a little bit of straight 93 after i get it broke in. if it sounds ok ill prolly do it just every now and then and hope to not damage my engine

Baileygunns
09-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Remember... If you add that +3 stroker crank like your signature says, it will add .5 to your compression. Essentially you would be running 14:1 and would HAVE to run race fuel.

desratt
10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
I would not chance.. it depending on all the other factors,, cam(dynamic compression vs static compression) how well jetted.
you could blow a hole right through the piston..

and the stroker.. it would be a bit more then .5 added to the compression.. it is actually based off of a percentage of existing compression. since it is already 13.5:1

Baileygunns
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Can you elaborate on that? I thought it was a flat value... Or where can I find the info on that to read? That would be good info to know for other applications too...