PDA

View Full Version : good deal on a z28?

jesseweaver
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
found an 02 Z28 with 60,000 for 8g. ive been wanting to get another car and i always was a bigger mustang fan, i just dont really like the 260hp :ermm: i was thinking about looking at this to hold me over until i can get a termi :confused:

Tommy Warren
09-28-2010, 04:15 PM
there is no such thing as a good deal on a camaro unless your selling one...

stick with the stangs

jesseweaver
09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
there is no such thing as a good deal on a camaro unless your selling one...

stick with the stangs

haha i know but 100 more hp...

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
I would take a camaro over a stang anyday of the week. 8g sounds about right for my area. I would buy it if I had the dough.

250ex_dan
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
I would take a camaro over a stang anyday of the week. 8g sounds about right for my area. I would buy it if I had the dough.
i would too

CJM
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
If it was owned by a kid its always a bad thing imho. They tend not to appreciate them and beat the hell out of it before they sell them.

However if its clean and drives smooth, 8 g's isnt to bad. Offer 6500 cash and see what they say.

jesseweaver
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
i still dont know :ermm: ive never really watched the price of camaros and i thought it seemed like a good deal so i just wanted to see what you guys think. very tempting

mineralgrey01gt
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
are you paying cash for it or financing? If you have the 8g's buy a donor 03/04 thats totaled with a good drive train and interior and swap it over. its extremely easy to do when you have a full donor car

Hondamaster5505
09-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I would also take a 4th gen LS1 camaro/firebird over a mustang any day. Unless it's a cobra, but cobras are also big $$.

8k is a good price if it's in nice shape. I would also go with cash in hand and offer 6500-7.

LS1's are fun cars. It doesn't take much to make them handle good and they can make some nice power.

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 06:19 PM
that doesn't sound too bad to me.. im slightly biased though...:devil:

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
on a side note, there's a few things you should check out. drive it, and listen for the rear differential to whine, especially if its a six speed. that's the weakest part of these cars. check the t top seals, breaks, and don't be surprised if there's cracks on the doors, right about even with the backs of the front seats. other than things like breaking trans mounts and other stupid little things, there's not a whole lot that goes wrong. if you make the switch, welcome to the dark side. i'm a die hard ford guy, but besides the termi, their cars just don't thrill me.

Tommy Warren
09-28-2010, 07:01 PM
only queers wear bowties! lol :eek:

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
only queers wear bowties! lol :eek:

good thing i didn't get a camaro then! :p to the OP- you will not be disappointed in the power you will have compared to a 2v mustang. its especially nice when you can get 28 or 29 mpg with the M6 and 24-26 with the A4. ask if you have anymore questions.

muddy400EX
09-28-2010, 08:15 PM
go for it, i just sold my 94 LT1 for 4500, with 140000 miles. so 8k sounds pretty nice for an 02

LS1's killed the 4.6. and LT1's killed the 5.0

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 08:32 PM
also, 02's come with the LS6 intake, which is a common modification for 99-00 LS1s. not very noticeable without anything else, but a good supporter mod if you do other bolt ons.

trailrider894
09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Camaros eat mustangs anyday...... i know...

jesseweaver
09-28-2010, 09:29 PM
i still dont know, such a hard decision. i just want a nice looking and sounding and really clean car, i still have the r6 for when i feel like going fast :ermm i know if i get a stang ill be kicking myself and wanting more power and if i get an LS1 ill want every mustang that drives by haha

muddy400EX
09-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
and if i get an LS1 ill want every mustang that drives by haha

not after they try to race you, and you blow them away:devil:

trailrider894
09-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Get an LS1 and i promise that when you put the gas pedal to the floor you will never look back!!!!

at the mustangs behind you.... ;)

TCracin440ex
09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
go for it. its a fair price on that car. the ls1 flat out scream and respond to mods very well. my bro has a ls1 maro and all he did was put a set of long tube pacetter headers, with offroad y pipe, and a hurst short throw short stick shifter and it mops mustangs like it aint nothing. hes even raced a mustang bullit with a tune, long tubes, flowmasters, intake, and alot of other stuff and ate it alive

and my brothers car is bone stock except for those mods listed. his is a 99 SS. still with stock intake, stock throttle body, stock intake manifold everything. it runs damn good. hes got a set of 4.10s to go in it i suspect its going to pull that much harder once he puts the 4.10s in it

also the ls series motors can live off spray. you can spray the shyt out of them and ive seen it done and not hurt them

far as the rearend. the thing to getting the stock 7.5 10b to hold is get a rearend girdle that puts a load on the bearing maincaps

and here is a local guy racing a 1000 streetbike in his 02 maro ls1 and beating it.

on edit: the chase car is an 03 cobra and wouldnt run with that ls1

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WHVaA3ppcZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WHVaA3ppcZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FHKracingZ
09-28-2010, 10:17 PM
this looks like way more fun :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBDqITdC_3s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBDqITdC_3s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Here's goes another round of video wars.

muddy400EX
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
Here's goes another round of video wars.

i win

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMNry4PE93Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
far as the rearend. the thing to getting the stock 7.5 10b to hold is get a rearend girdle that puts a load on the bearing maincaps

trying to build up a 10 bolt is basically like trying to turn a cow pie into a cake. you can try really really hard and throw all kinds of money at it, but its still a crappy 10 bolt not designed for the amounts of torque it has to endure and it will break. drag radials (traction) and weight are the enemies. its best just to save for a 12 bolt or a 9 inch.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Making a 10-bolt bulletproof is easy! Weld the axle tubes to the Housing and get a forged pinion yolk. There's guys running 9's with them.

Pipeless416
09-28-2010, 11:50 PM
yea, then daily drive it

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-29-2010, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
yea, then daily drive it

I drive mine daily?

TCracin440ex
09-29-2010, 05:19 AM
that car in the vid i posted was running factory 10 bolt with slicks and 4.10 gears. all he had was a girdle

csr250r
09-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Camaro > Mustang

Apart from the 2011s most stangs need forced induction to keep up with a lt/ls1 :)

Pipeless416
09-29-2010, 10:48 AM
that car in the vid i posted was running factory 10 bolt with slicks and 4.10 gears. all he had was a girdle

SOME get very lucky.. most are ticking time bombs, especially with bolt ons. did he have any weight reduction?

I drive mine daily?

a welded rear is seriously only good for straight lines. that's like running a solid rear axle quad everywhere. if you fail to see the issue with this, then i give up.

Hondamaster5505
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
With a welded rear axle the rear tires will always fight each other. HORRIBLE for turning.

LS1 has even more potential then a 03/04 cobra. You will love the LS1. I've seen quite a few take down supercharged cobras.. running n/a.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-29-2010, 03:35 PM
You guys are retarded. I never said the gears. Why don't you guys learn to read before you comment. Weld the AXLE TUBE TO THE HOUSING. Where did I say to weld the spider gears? Mine is still a limited slip and I have no problem turning. You guys seriously lack reading comprehension.

For those that still don't understand, weld this seam that connects the axle tube to the housing. How this would affect turning is beyond me? :confused:
http://brian-callahan.com/Brians%20stuff/Camaro-pix/diff_welding/weld_prep_grinding1.jpg

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

LS1 has even more potential then a 03/04 cobra.

You fail

ridered11
09-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Let him go... he has a hard on for his POS car that he thinks is gods gift to earth.

Pipeless416
09-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I never said the gears. Why don't you guys learn to read before you comment. Weld the AXLE TUBE TO THE HOUSING. Where did I say to weld the spider gears? Mine is still a limited slip and I have no problem turning. You guys seriously lack reading comprehension.

read-

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/510589-when-will-my-10-bolt-break.html

maybe you'll learn something. its not just the carriers that break.

edit: usually when somebody refers to a welded rear, they are talking about welded spider gears. just an fyi, no need to cry.

eric- ive gotta disagree about the terminators.. it takes a lot to run with them, especially if they are simply pullied and tuned. their bottom ends will also hold more than an LS1.

Hondamaster5505
09-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ridered11
Let him go... he has a hard on for his POS car that he thinks is gods gift to earth.

Screw off:rolleyes:

If you actually knew me, I'm one of the first people that will call my car a pos. Any of my friends will tell you that. It needs a lot of work and is far from perfect. I love it anyway but I don't worship it.

And how does this refer to my car anyhow? We're talking LS1, I never said a thing about LT1's. So how you got my car out of this conversation is beyond me.

Oh, excuse me, I made a mistake by saying an LS1 has more potential. May I be struck by lightning. God forbid I don't spend my life reading about that stuff.

I would still rather have an LS1.. just my opinion. If you don't agree then I don't really care. Cobras are nice as hell, and I would love to own one, but im not crazy over them like all of you.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM

edit: usually when somebody refers to a welded rear, they are talking about welded spider gears. just an fyi, no need to cry.

Like I said, Reading Comprehension > You. I never said a welded rear. I specifically said, Weld the axle tubes to the housing.... I don't know how I could have dumbed it down anymore for you.

Pipeless416
09-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Like I said, Reading Comprehension > You. I never said a welded rear. I specifically said, Weld the axle tubes to the housing.... I don't know how I could have dumbed it down anymore for you.

my bad, i skimmed and saw welded and rear and assumed you're talking about what most people use as a temporary fix on a 10 bolt. and i guess i'm also an idiot for not understanding what that's going to help because THAT'S NOT WHAT BREAKS ON THEM. holy crap, i simply say to watch out for that and all the fbody experts come out of the woodwork.

trailrider894
09-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Okay guys... its plain and simple. The LS1 Will walk all over a stock or lightly modified Mustang. The Cobra will give an LS1 a run for its money, but the LS1 is still most likely going to win. Welding spyder gears is not a good idea. Its a hillbilly posi rear end. Welding the tube to the housing doesn't achieve the same idea as welding the spider gears. Lets give it up. But in the mean time check out this 1/4 mile run..... this car weighs 3900 pounds... its a friend of mines car.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RWjz37kCw6U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RWjz37kCw6U?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pipeless416
09-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Okay guys... its plain and simple. The LS1 Will walk all over a stock or lightly modified Mustang. The Cobra will give an LS1 a run for its money, but the LS1 is still most likely going to win. Welding spyder gears is not a good idea. Its a hillbilly posi rear end. Welding the tube to the housing doesn't achieve the same idea as welding the spider gears. Lets give it up. But in the mean time check out this 1/4 mile run..... this car weighs 3900 pounds... its a friend of mines car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjz37kCw6U

i'm still not sure why people think an LS1 will beat a cobra..? LS1's are low to mid 13 second cars stock.. cobras are high 12's. but yes, i agree.. back on topic. to the OP, if you look around a little more, you can get clean 50k mile bolt on z28s and T/A's for around $7-8k. look around in for sale sections of ls1 websites. they're fun cars, but expect it to be a money pit. the quality just isn't there.

remix92
09-29-2010, 10:58 PM
cobras are awsome cars just pullied and a tune ive seen them high tens on slicks.. you can get 500rwhp on the stock blower the cars are serious idk where people think ls1's can hang with them...obviously with a work into them they can but stock for stock the cobra is just hands down a better car

muddy400EX
09-30-2010, 12:12 AM
i'm still not sure why people think an LS1 will beat a cobra..?

it can, just needs mods...LOTS of mods,haha

i dont even think termi cobras should be compared to f-body's (stock ones anyways)

more of a lingenfelter vette level to me

Hondamaster5505
09-30-2010, 04:52 PM
I would rather have a 94 ZR1 corvette over a cobra.

The LT5 is one of my favorite motors. All aluminum, 5.7, with a lotus designed DOHC setup. 8500rpm redline, 404hp, and 385lb/ft torque stock. I never knew a thing about them until I heard someone one LS1LT1 mention it. After doing some research I fell in love.

A cobra will still take it, but throw some mods on the LT5 and they're ridiculous.

Ported heads and mild cams.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRIOMwaDYY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZlRIOMwaDYY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hondamaster5505
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
btw the 1991 only had 385 stock

CJM
09-30-2010, 06:04 PM
You never heard of the king of the hill LT5?

One of my all time favorite engines, totally handbuilt by mercury marine for chevy and amazing output imho for a smallblock 350.

Hondamaster5505
09-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by CJM
You never heard of the king of the hill LT5?

One of my all time favorite engines, totally handbuilt by mercury marine for chevy and amazing output imho for a smallblock 350.

Not until a couple months ago. Now that I do, it is seriously my dream car.
I love how it's a high RPM overhead cam 5.7. And like you said, damn impressive power for something that started as a 350.

Not to mention they sound amazing.

trailrider894
09-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I mean a low twelve is kinda slow........ :/

Hondamaster5505
09-30-2010, 06:52 PM

If you search around on youtube there's a bunch that have ran faster. That was just one of the first ones I found. It's all about the launch.

Plus that's one of the lesser-power models. And ported heads (which stock don't flow that bad at all)

Even if its slower I would still rather have it. Just one of those dream cars.

They can be had for about 15k

EDIT: Low 12's? It ran 11.1

trailrider894
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Well you never said what carÂ_youÂ_wereÂ_talkingÂ_about....Â_lolÂ_11.1Â_is _aÂ_decentÂ_timeÂ_though.Â_IÂ_grewÂ_upÂ_atÂ_theÂ_d ragÂ_stripÂ_andÂ_haveÂ_aÂ_carÂ_thatÂ_iÂ_takeÂ_upÂ_ onÂ_theÂ_weekendÂ_myself,Â_soÂ_theÂ_stripÂ_isÂ_my _thirdÂ_homeÂ_nextÂ_toÂ_theÂ_mxÂ_track.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
10-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Low twelves is a fast *** car. I don't care who you are, a 12 second street car is quick.

TCracin440ex
10-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by remix92
cobras are awsome cars just pullied and a tune ive seen them high tens on slicks.. you can get 500rwhp on the stock blower the cars are serious idk where people think ls1's can hang with them...obviously with a work into them they can but stock for stock the cobra is just hands down a better car

ive said it time and time again. you cant compare forced induction to naturally aspirated. now you put forced induction on the ls1 then the shoe is on the other foot

csr250r
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
ive said it time and time again. you cant compare forced induction to naturally aspirated. now you put forced induction on the ls1 then the shoe is on the other foot

Agreed. Stang guys brag about a couple special models being better than naturally aspirated ls1s.

I will admit that I am impressed by the 2011 stangs though.

But for the cash your gona drop on a stock termi, give me 2/3 that and you'll get to inspect the back of a fbody that costs less.

jesseweaver
10-01-2010, 09:41 AM

reliability... you know how it goes you can have 2 of the 3... reliability, power, and price. forced induction LS1 has power and price, cobra has power and reliability

TCracin440ex
10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
to say an ls1 is un reliable on forced induction is not true. ive seen them hold some boost. but if you really wanted to get into building a boosted motor the ideal ls series motor to have is the lq4 out of the 2500 gas trucks or lq9 out of the silverado ss and siera denalli. they are iron block and can hold boost better then an alu block like the ls1

TCracin440ex
10-01-2010, 10:06 AM
reliability... you know how it goes you can have 2 of the 3... reliability, power, and price. forced induction LS1 has power and price, cobra has power and reliability

and ill say it again lets not compare apples to oranges. you want to compare forced induction to forced induction compare the zr1 which comes factory with an S/C to a cobra that came factory with an S/C and you see for yourself which is a better car.

u cant compare a cobra to an ls1 camaro, transam, or even a ls1 vette.

im not trying to argue which is a better brand. im just saying you cant compare forced induction to naturally aspirated.

CJM
10-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Agreed, you cant compare forced induction to a N/A car..it just aint the same thing.

Like its been stated, throw a supercharger onto an LS1 or even LT1 and forget the cobra even was racing you..cause all they will see are tail lights.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
10-01-2010, 11:06 PM
The statement, "Throw a supercharger on the LS1 and it's gone." is over-used and false. The LS1 would need more than just boost. It would have to have a new bottom end along with that.

Where as, you throw a KB or Whipple on a Cobra, 1 bolt-on, and you have a 600+ RWHP car.

TCracin440ex
10-02-2010, 12:42 AM
you might be right with the forced induction and you read what i said the common swap for those who want to boost camaros is the lq9 and lq4 blocks out of the gm trucks.

but the ls1 will hold quite a hefty shot of spray. the car in the vid i posted was sprayin a 200 shot

mineralgrey01gt
10-02-2010, 01:16 AM
go for it. its a fair price on that car. the ls1 flat out scream and respond to mods very well. my bro has a ls1 maro and all he did was put a set of long tube pacetter headers, with offroad y pipe, and a hurst short throw short stick shifter and it mops mustangs like it aint nothing. hes even raced a mustang bullit with a tune, long tubes, flowmasters, intake, and alot of other stuff and ate it alive

and my brothers car is bone stock except for those mods listed. his is a 99 SS. still with stock intake, stock throttle body, stock intake manifold everything. it runs damn good. hes got a set of 4.10s to go in it i suspect its going to pull that much harder once he puts the 4.10s in it

also the ls series motors can live off spray. you can spray the shyt out of them and ive seen it done and not hurt them

and here is a local guy racing a 1000 streetbike in his 02 maro ls1 and beating it.

on edit: the chase car is an 03 cobra and wouldnt run with that ls1

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WHVaA3ppcZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WHVaA3ppcZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

sorry but i call bs on the mods on that ls1, how big is a small shot. To run with a 1000cc bike he has to be deep 10's and that car didnt look deep 10's thats for sure.

TCracin440ex
10-02-2010, 01:24 PM
the car is cammed with 115lsa, ls6 intake, 4.10 gears, built t56, 200shot of spray, stand alone fuel system with acohol injection, long tube headers, offroad y pipe. it had alottt done

Hondamaster5505
10-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Alright, first off, this discussion started out as an LS1 vs Mustang GT (NOT cobra) It's gotten way off track. (And yes, I will admit I am part of the reason it went off track, not the only person though)

He said he wants to get a cobra in the future, but wants a car now to hold him over.

Regular 2v 4.6 mustangs have nothing on LS1 F-bodies.. other then a little better structural build quality.

I would take an LS1 over the 2v 4.6. You won't be upset OP. Plus the LSx motors have so much potential.

jesseweaver
10-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505

Regular 2v 4.6 mustangs have nothing on LS1 F-bodies.. other then a little better structural build quality.

and looks!

yea i think i might try to find a camaro or trans am soon, i wanna sell my truck and my yzf :( i cant afford it anymore and racings just not the same anymore. i still have a pitbike though

TCracin440ex
10-04-2010, 06:26 AM
and looks!

yea i think i might try to find a camaro or trans am soon, i wanna sell my truck and my yzf :( i cant afford it anymore and racings just not the same anymore. i still have a pitbike though

i dont see how you figure they look better. imo mustang now a days is a chick car moreso then a mans muscle car. ive seen more grannies and chicks rockin them opposed to men. the only men i ever see driving them are the diehard stang fans.

i see more f bodies then anything. hell even see more of the foxbody mustangs then what i do the 90s and 2k models

jesseweaver
10-04-2010, 09:16 AM
i dont see how you figure they look better. imo mustang now a days is a chick car moreso then a mans muscle car. ive seen more grannies and chicks rockin them opposed to men. the only men i ever see driving them are the diehard stang fans.

i see more f bodies then anything. hell even see more of the foxbody mustangs then what i do the 90s and 2k models

i only like the 99-04 style and i think the f bodies look a lot more like chick cars

Pipeless416
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
i only like the 99-04 style and i think the f bodies look a lot more like chick cars

if you really like the looks of mustangs better, why are you even considering an f-body? sounds like you answered your own question to me.

TCracin440ex
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM

funny thing is i see more chicks driving mootangs then guys and thats no bs. no matter if its v6 or v8. 85% of the stangs here are driven by girls