PDA

View Full Version : Craziest thing from the stand

rcer450r
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok here is the deal, post up the craziest thing you have ever seen while in your stand hunting. Or even while you were on the ground. Lets see what crazy things people have seen ;)

CJM
09-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Crazy, not really-but once in a lifetime shot yea.

Was in my stand freezing my arse off and saw a decent buck, took the shot and thought I'd missed. Turns out I didnt miss-I hit it, but I couldnt see due to it falling over in some thick brusha nd some fir trees obscuring my view.

After a few mins of staring I noticed brown fur so I got out of the stand. As Im getting out to go take a look I see a doe approaching from about 200 yds away.

I hop out of the stand real quick and the doe sees me and takes off in a run. I take aim and lead a bit, and BLAM! Got the sucker in the spine, shoulda led my another foot. But at 200 yds in a dead run with a 30-06 I was happy.

rcer450r
09-27-2010, 08:34 PM
No doubt you were happy haha I would say the craziest experience I had was in Illinois, I just walked up in the woods with my bow and knew there were buck somewhere close, so I walked as quietly and slowly as I could. I was walking around a hillside. I looked up and there stood a 140 in. nine point about 18 yards away. He never saw me, he walked about 12 steps away from me. I pulled back and made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. The buck lived for 4 hours and when I found him he was still alive, took off running made to the top of the hill, fell over and died. Def. was relieved to see him fall over haha

rcer450r
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
here he is

rcer450r
09-27-2010, 08:38 PM
you can see where I hit him and he was still alive 4 hours later

CJM
09-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Nice buck!

slightlybent47
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Here is one for ya!
Me and a friend had just arrived at the camp at 11:00 pm and we only had a Honda 125 three wheeler, so I shove my 357 pistol in my waist and we head down to the creek about a mile away to look around. On the way back coming up a steep hill I had to zig zag through the trees so we wouldn’t turn over backwards because the hill was so steep, suddenly my headlight sweeps across a buck running across and away from us about 75 yards away. I stop and draw my gun and as we start rolling backward I fire off one round. Then we hit a tree rolling backward and flip over, after we get up and back on the bike we ride over and look I hit that sucker right in the sweet spot and he dropped right there. We looked at each other and started laughing and I said I’m glad you was with me cause no one will believe me. That was a Ruger security six 357 by the way.

madskrillz2
09-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by rcer450r
No doubt you were happy haha I would say the craziest experience I had was in Illinois, I just walked up in the woods with my bow and knew there were buck somewhere close, so I walked as quietly and slowly as I could. I was walking around a hillside. I looked up and there stood a 140 in. nine point about 18 yards away. He never saw me, he walked about 12 steps away from me. I pulled back and made a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. The buck lived for 4 hours and when I found him he was still alive, took off running made to the top of the hill, fell over and died. Def. was relieved to see him fall over haha

See that's why I don't use a bow. I hate seein an animal suffer. As for my craziest, it was one of my first times hunting when I was a kid. Me and my dad were just on the ground and we kept hearing what we thought were squirrels playing. Well we eventually turn around and there's a raccoon about 3 feet away from us. He had been sneaking up on us the whole time. Guess he smelled the beef jerky in my pocket lol

tayyo789
09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
This bow season I was 10 feet from a 350 class bull elk in the rut, bugling directly at me...When I drew back on him my bow squeaked and that was the end of it. Never saw him again

86 Quad R
09-28-2010, 07:16 AM
some years ago i was bow hunting in one of my favorite bottoms full of nice tall cotton woods about a couple hundred yards from the mighty missisipp! it was about 20 minutes from daylight and as i was approaching(with an arrow knocked) the spot where i had placed my "ole man" climber the afternoon before, i kept hearing something fairly close to my stand. as i walked it would walk. as i stopped it would stop. unsure as to what it coulda been i reached up and turned on my "cap bib" LED light. low and behold it was a gawd dang missippi bob cat and the fear of God rushed all through my body. i completely froze and calmly turned off the light and gently reached with my free hand and grabbed another arrow from the quiver. now with an arrow in each hand i prepared for the worst. as i stood there for what seemed "FOREVER", the i could hear the bob cat turn and slowly make his/her way in the opposite direction. totally ringing wet from the excitement i went back to camp and just drank koffie lol.

buck440
09-28-2010, 07:55 AM
it started raining turkeys once. i dont know if they were already in the tree tops or just landed there but seeing that was the biggest mind **** ever lol. i didn't even know turkeys could fly:D. my dad was chasing a deer on the run with his gun and shot and the slug went through a 6 in tree and killed bambie too:eek:. not from a stand but a few years ago my friend shot a hermaphidite deer ...he/she deer:chinese:...and gander mountain said they wanted to buy it for $20,000 but the problem was they didn't have the money to stuff it and gander mountain got back with them too late and it rotted.

rcer450r
09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by buck440
it started raining turkeys once. i dont know if they were already in the tree tops or just landed there but seeing that was the biggest mind **** ever lol. i didn't even know turkeys could fly:D. my dad was chasing a deer on the run with his gun and shot and the slug went through a 6 in tree and killed bambie too:eek:. not from a stand but a few years ago my friend shot a hermaphidite deer ...he/she deer:chinese:...and gander mountain said they wanted to buy it for $20,000 but the problem was they didn't have the money to stuff it and gander mountain got back with them too late and it rotted.

aw man that would suck so bad, I think I would have to cry haha

buck440
09-28-2010, 10:09 AM
yah it would:( i later told them they should of stored it in the freezers at the deer processing place near by...they were kinda angry i didn't mention that sooner lol. i think it was the second he/she deer shot that year in wabash county.

Tommy Warren
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I was climbing up my stand and its about 25 feet. I got about half way up and notice 2 porcupines were going up the other side of the tree. One started to come around towards my side so I freaked out and bailed...I fell 20 feet and dislocated my shoulder... One of the guys I was hunting with shot the porqupine and used it for coyote bait...it worked:)

jesseweaver
09-28-2010, 03:09 PM
for me was probably last year in missouri. nothing too crazy but i spotted a nice 8 point and a smaller buck bedding in a field a good 700 yards away completely out in the open except for some tall grass they were laying in. so i was pretty much screwed, i circled around behind and started crawling after watching them for about half an hour. i got maybe 50 yards and just like that something spooked them and they took of straight for me. haha i was never so happy in my life, seemed like forever till they got to me so i had buck fever hardcore. i got up on my knees when they were maybe 75 yards away and they turned and i dropped the 8 point at about 50-60 yards on a dead sprint. haha i never went through 5 rounds so fast in my life. but only 1 missed.

and one year a guy i know was going out to his stand early in the morning here in pa. it was still dark and when he got to his stand he checked his trail cam he had nearby and saw a couple pictures of a pretty big bear and looked at the time and it was about 2 minutes before he got there. it must have heard him walking in :eek2:

ikas
09-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Not me but someone I know was sitting in the woods and waited for his hunting colleagues would come to him, he used to always sit silent on his territory. After a while he heard something that creaked as he turned around and told the colleague's name but it was a bear that stood two feet from him and the bear was so scared that it fell backwards and brought down a large tree. His other colleague saw everything from the distance. And thought it was really fun. He who had frightened the bear was a little shocked.

3400ben
09-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Years ago we had a small buck running around with a six inch field tile around it's neck. The tile was about a foot long. It must of slipped it head in it when it was a yearly. We also have had a albino deer running around us for a few years now.

backwoodsracer
09-28-2010, 07:31 PM
I hate bow hunting with a passion, but im an addict, well day after opening day last year i was sweating my butt of and i had to goo....it was about 6:30 and i could hold no longer so {im in a large lockon very camoed] so i manage to get my asz hangin out of the tree stand and i hear something thinking it was anoother squirrel bombs away well turns out it wasnt a squirrel it was a small cow horn , and i dropped a large present on his back..... he takes off i plan to keep this too my self and chuckle well he took off and an hour latter i go back to the truck only a basket head came by let em walk dad sitting there saying letts go i shot a cow horn with some thing on his back......you can guess from there

CJM
09-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer
I hate bow hunting with a passion, but im an addict, well day after opening day last year i was sweating my butt of and i had to goo....it was about 6:30 and i could hold no longer so {im in a large lockon very camoed] so i manage to get my asz hangin out of the tree stand and i hear something thinking it was anoother squirrel bombs away well turns out it wasnt a squirrel it was a small cow horn , and i dropped a large present on his back..... he takes off i plan to keep this too my self and chuckle well he took off and an hour latter i go back to the truck only a basket head came by let em walk dad sitting there saying letts go i shot a cow horn with some thing on his back......you can guess from there

wait, wtf did you just say? You didnt make much sense.

rcer450r
09-28-2010, 07:51 PM
ya I am totally lost too haha

madskrillz2
09-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer

This is what I got out of it. You took a dump on a cows back and then someone you knew shot it. They made you help them pull it out of the woods.

mxduner
09-28-2010, 11:10 PM
:D lmfao guys, i thought it was just me but wtf. i dont deer hunt so i thought i just didn't know these 'terms':confused:

rcer450r
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
nope it aint just you lol I have hunted all my life and have no idea haha

86 Quad R
09-29-2010, 07:43 AM
lmao im a hik from the stix so my anglish aint all that great. whether its reading, speaking or writing but i'm thinking he said he took a sheet and it landed on a "spike" horned lil deer and ironically his dad ended up killing it afterwards? lol

3400ben
09-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Someone needs a rubber helmet!:devil:

VTredneckgames
09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
lol, I understood exactly what he was saying

I was bow hunting on the border of national forest and my grandpa's land about 10 years ago. I had been seeing a nice buck right at dark so I was hesitant on climbing down until it was pitch black.

Well it got dark enough where I could still see, but not enough to shoot so I started down from my tree. I had my bow on the ground and I started climbing down. When I got almost to the bottom I heard a twig break. About 10 yards from me is a big dark spot. I could tell it was black. There are plenty of bears around here and thats the first thing I thought it was. And this one was big! I didnt really panic but my heart started racing. Then it moo'd. It was a cow. Old heifer scared me to death. I got my bow and headed to the truck.

450rdr424
09-29-2010, 10:27 AM
One real dark morning i was trying to get the pins in the climber and had a coyote let out a loud howl about ten yards behind me i have never climbed a tree faster in my life

buck440
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
me and a friend were on one side of the woods and my dad was on the other with his guillie suit on and we were chasing a deer out towards him making noise and shooting our paintball guns we were at the end and all the sudden i hear someone say boo i looked around and nobody so i took a few more steps and he jumped towards me from a tree a few feet away and i unloaded on him:). the thing is i never seen him put the suit on so i had no idea wtf was coming after me.