PDA

View Full Version : What engine mods for the winter?

JhallettEX
11-30-2001, 02:42 PM
This winter I want to mod my engine a little. With all the talk about the 416.....440.....and now a 426. I am confused of what to do. I was planning on going with the 416 with a XR400 cam. What would be the best thing for me to do? I mainly race mx, but do a little trail rideing and also ride in the dunes. I am also wanting to run race gas so what piston will I need to go with. Also is there anything else I should plan on doing while I am in there? Thanks alot for all the help.

11-30-2001, 02:50 PM
Go with the 416 kit and cam,,,,get some viton valve seals too while your placing the order,,which I assume will be from marcums. And if ya want a hard hitting cam get a JE 13.1 piston,,,only runs on race gas,,,and adds a good bit of butt kicken torque. You could also put in a xr400 gasket instead of the 400ex gasket,,you'll get more compression this way.

JhallettEX
11-30-2001, 03:04 PM
Thanks Rico....I was hopeing you would be the one to respond. So I want have to do anything else other than drop this stuff in? I have never rebuilt a motor or anything (Kinda new to all this) Will I have to do anything to my valve springs or anything. I think I will be haveing a friend help me when I do this, He is in Motorcycle Mech. School now. He will be a big help.

11-30-2001, 03:10 PM
I'm in the same boat as you "Jhallettex".

The only difference is that I do trail riding and hare scrambles here on the East coast and I do not want to run race gas.

Ricco, do you still recommend the 416/ Viton valves engine mod over the 426 or the 440 for Hare scrambles?

Ricco, if I remember right, I just saw a picture of your modified 400ex on forum, awesome ride !!!!!!!!!

PS. Jhallettex, are you a big Cornhusker fan there in Nebraska?

JhallettEX
11-30-2001, 03:24 PM
Every Nebraskan is a HUSKER fan.

Dave400ex
11-30-2001, 05:29 PM
TC Racing has a 425 piston kit and a Cross Country cam made just for Cross Country racing. If you don`t have a pipe yet then I would buy TC`s. I`m going to get this kit. You don`t have to use race gas. The piston, cam, and pipe is around $650 for all of it.

11-30-2001, 09:11 PM
Warriorman,
425 kit huh? Sounds good so far. My friend and I were just about to buy the IMS 440 kit. Now that you brought this up, I got some more thinkn to do!! :confused: No, I do not have a pipe on it. I'm very resistant to adding a loud pipe on it right now. I still do alot of trail riding. I might be mistaking, but the TC pipe for the 300ex is extemely loud, and I would think the same for the 400ex. I guess it is always an option to swap pipes for riding areas, right?

Thank you WarriorMan. :)

JhallettEX, fyi, I'm a big Nebraska fan too. I got family in Lincoln too.

Warrioreater400ex
11-30-2001, 10:21 PM
HEH too bad nebraska got whooped by colorado :D , haha not flamin just jokin round, but i have a feelin my Vols are gonna drown in the swamp..... o well if they play to their full potential, they could win!

Dave400ex
12-01-2001, 03:16 PM
You couldn`t swap pipes. You have to cut the stock header like five inches for the pipe to fit. You would have to change the header too. The TC 400ex pipe comes with dics to make it quieter. I would go with the 425 kit and Cam. If you ride and race Cross Country you would love it. That kit has won the Four Stroke Open class the last three years. Call Tom Carlson, TC, at 1(814) 723-3514. Good Luck.