PDA

View Full Version : slip on's

finsteratv
09-27-2010, 12:51 PM
are there any slip on exhausts that you dont need to re jet for? ive heard of power tips for the stock systems but do they really do anything?
thanks austin

ridein'red7
09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
no the power tips are a load of crap, and just about everyslip on will need a rejet its not hard at all

slightlybent47
09-27-2010, 02:10 PM
If you’re just running a stock motor then save your money and forget the slip on. You will be spending $300.00 + for a slip on that will only give you 1-2 hp over stock. I think the sparks key will do better then that and it’s what $50.00 tops? I’d look into doing the suspension first before you do any engine mods, the ex has more motor then it has suspension to handle it.

Trust me if all you do is a slip on pipe you won't feel any deference in the way it runs.

finsteratv
09-27-2010, 02:24 PM
im thinking about 450r shocks up front. and i hear you on the slip on with not much power gain theres just an fmf in my area craigslist for like 65 but i dont wanna mess with jetting. the reason i was lookin at tip is because i dont like the stock sound that much. do you guys know if you need jetting for a tip?
thanks austin

rob_990
09-27-2010, 02:35 PM
if your looking for sound dont get a tip it will make your quad sound like garbageand you wont get any gains out of it.youll have to rejet with a slipon but its not hard at all.

smelly$cat
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Let's play a game called "Just the tip".... lol!

finsteratv
09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by smelly$cat

haha:p
but why would an aftermarket tip cause it to sound like crap? could it really be worse then stock?

tri5ron
09-27-2010, 05:14 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by smelly$cat
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by finsteratv
haha:p
but why would an aftermarket tip cause it to sound like crap? could it really be worse then stock?

Looks like it's "game-on".....
ok, I'll play,...

As was already said,
Yes, the aftermarket tips are crap, sound like crap, they Dont Do crap, and you would just be spending your money for,..... crap.

Yes, you wold need to re-jet with a slip-on, as you should also add a good air filter, and open the airbox WHEN you get the slip-on,.... BUT, you will not feel a huge difference.

$65 for a used local slip-on would be worth it,
even if you need to re-pack it.
$300 for a new one would NOT be worth it.

add a +6 key, and the 450r shocks, and you will be pleasantly surprized.

get the $65 slip-on, grind your headpipe welds, look for a '04-"05 450r carb, re-j)et, and you will be at around +30% improvement in hp, over your stock engine, (around 32hp over 24hp).

Ok,.. who's the next batter up ? ? ?

honda400ex2003
09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
ill take the tag to join the ring! I feel the same on the tips, waste of money...

the way i see an exhaust, if you plan to do anything in the future build up wise or plan to at least get a filter, 450 carb or at least the choke mod, and grind the header welds a slip on is worth the money. if you add a filter and a slip on it is ok but for the increase it really isnt worth it without doing the grinding at least. so it is all in the eye of the beholder. next question is which is best, ill throw that out too since i am already in knee deep... I like the q4 and t4 best. not overly loud for the t4 and gets the most 4000 rpm power which is most important imo. the q4 is quiet and works great for a bit of an addition also where sound must be limited.

my .02 though, steve

finsteratv
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks for the input guys for now im gonna try to run it as a stocker till i start breaking stuff.

rmcfadden68
09-27-2010, 06:13 PM
my turn you all right tips suck. ive been at this now for 5 yrs. tips are junk. put on hmf slip on and really liked the sound but not any feelin in the power side. jumped up to 165 main 38 pilot and k&n filter. that i noticed a little more power in second gear. but always wanted more torque. sold slip on to a buddy for $100 and got a brand new yellow hmf system for $200 at rumble on the ridge(local atv poker run adena ohio) from hmf booth. figured at that price i couldn`t go wrong. jumped to a 180main and 42 pilot. definately helped get to the top of many hills that it couldnt make before. but really not worth the 550 they want msrp for system. also open up air box with 6-1" filters and a outerware. caution not water friendly. so once again im sitting on a bike that i feel ive gotten used to. and wanna go bigger. how much work is involved in this degree key you all talk about? question for a buddy do you need to jet, open air box or tune f/a after you install a degree key. just trying to save him years of work and a bunch of money. will degree key have any benefit if keepin stock exhaust? i agree after 2 surgeries all should definately do suspension mods before motor mods. i put on 450r shocks and it made a world of difference!

slightlybent47
09-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I will add that the after market slip on are much lighter in weight then the stock one but only by a few pounds. Take a good dump before you ride and you accomplish the same thing.lol

Rkangel7
09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
If you can get a slip on for $65 it's a good deal. However, I agree about the advice on the suspension. The stock front shocks reach their limits in a hurry. I'm not an extreme rider by any means and even I have found that the 400 has more motor than suspension. I never fully appreciated how much the front shocks sucked until a buddy let me ride his KTM 450. Good suspension makes the ride much more enjoyable.

finsteratv
09-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I will add that the after market slip on are much lighter in weight then the stock one but only by a few pounds. Take a good dump before you ride and you accomplish the same thing.lol

sounds like a very very cheap weight reduction haha