PDA

View Full Version : Hand break for rear brakes REALLY stiff

coffing918
09-27-2010, 07:05 AM
I have a DRR 50 production, the hand brake that operates the back brakes is really stiff. my son can barley pull it, and he is not a small boy. its even hard for me to pull. what could be causing this or is there a better brake set up he can use besides a foot brake, he likes having hand brakes, I myself would like to get him a foot break,,,but he dosnt want one.

edwardsp&b
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Oil the cable or replace it if needed. That should do the trick.
Bryan

coffing918
09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
hi bryan,

how would I do that? i know stupid question. but i have no idea how to do it

it dosnt feel rusted or anything. just hard as hell to pull , I have to squeeze with all my mite,

fomospede
09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
how long have they been hydraulic ? are 08 isn't a cable its hydraulic check that its not rubbing the light switch ?
if not that check the caliper to see if piston is free!
also look for smashed and or pinched sections in your line

coffing918
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
its an 08 i beleive. the cables are really fat, i have no idea what the caliper is. or how to check to see if piston is free!. is there a differtent brake that anyone uses for the lil kids.
and the front brakes are perfect!

fomospede
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
take it to your local shop. brakes are the most important part of control and safety and if you truly dont know this service will be priceless!

EthansDad
09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
We have that issue too and it bugs me. My guess was air in the line, but ive blead the heck out of it with a vacuum pump and no better.

My guess now is the rubber brake line is no good. The fronts have a steal braded one, that is why I think they are better. Anyone know if there is a steal brake line available for the rear? I'd try it on our 50 cvt just to see if it helps.

coffing918
09-27-2010, 06:34 PM
if u figure something out please let me know, cause JJ has been letting off early on the holeshot because hes afraid that he will not be able to pull the break,,

doonanracing
09-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Replace the rear brake line. We use a single style front braided line off an adult atv and the problem was solved (what I mean by single style front braided line is where the line comes off directly from the master cylinder and goes directly to the caliper not to a junction box). The oem rear lines have a plastic outer tube around line and if leaking or kinked it is hard to see and the line is exposed if you run it along the lower frame rails. The only good thing about the oem line is my son has learned to only use the front brakes and throttle thru turns.

greenmachine70
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
follow the line from front to rear, make sure it is not pinched at all. When i first installed the xfr nerfs i pinched it and like you said, hard to pull and not actuating the brake hardly any at all

edwardsp&b
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM
Sorry, I read the post and was thinking throttle cable. With all that's going on I'm losing my mind.

I got a steel braided hose made at a hydraulic hose shop. Just give them the lines so they can use the fittings. Cost me about 40 bucks.
Bryan

Coley'sdad#8
09-28-2010, 05:19 AM
once the hose has been smashed / pinched it is done, there wont be any fixing it. take it off and see if you can blow air through it easily, if not go to local hose, gasket, rubber shop and have them make one up to your length with 10mm banjo fittings on the ends and your done end of problem. If you have a rock blocking the piston it will not actuate the pad to the rotor making you think it isnt doing its job so check that also.

coffing918
09-28-2010, 05:34 AM
thanks guys I will look as soon as it stops raining here<<

coffing918
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM
no smashes or pinches???????????

quadrider79
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by coffing918
no smashes or pinches???????????

Jodi, PM sent.
John