PDA

View Full Version : Quads Afraid of Water

cannondale27
09-27-2010, 06:48 AM
This weekend we ran 2 Harescrambles very pleased with my kids results.5th sat,4th sunday.What ticks me off is she has really been getting good starts.right in with top 3 and holding position right up until something dumb happens.Last week was her fault since she hit a tree but this week both days it was 6"deep creek crossing.

Her quad hits water and instantly dies.I cannot get it to do this with garden hose.So far I have found muddy water is getting in choke since that stuck in closed position both days even after removal and packing the rubber cap with grease.Once quad is removed from water if it can be choked it starts immediately.Without choke to use(since it was stuck) it is very hard to start and I thought for sure battery wouldnt take it.Fixing choke should be easy(replace it all) Stock airbox,No water in covers or clutch.I feel it costed her 2nd place since she had a huge lead over next place and one of other 2 in front of her didnt finish race.Do you all have any suggestions on anything else I can do?

LT80
09-27-2010, 07:02 PM
How about the spark plug cap? The stock ones sorta suck.
BTW, thanks for the pic :)

cannondale27
09-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Could be.Will a rubber one fit the grommet?

I think Kdeal took that pic.Thought you might like it.

airmobile101
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Not familar of the spark plug location on those, but I can tell you first hand, if water hits that spark plug, your screwed !!!!! You need to find a way to protect it. I usually run a bead of high temp silicon around the spark plug boot or cake on a asre load of dielectric grease.

LT80
09-28-2010, 07:44 AM
In the past, I've bought a NGK cap for a arctic cat snowmobile.
It fits tight and won't fall off like the stocker.

cannondale27
09-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Will do.I went through all the connectors and took apart switches and cleaned/dielectric all.Will get a new cap today and try some water.Thanks guys

hawaiianbasshed
09-30-2010, 08:43 PM
pull starter strikes again LOL eventually that $80 looks cheaper and cheaper... I said it before I'll say it again. when the battery gets tired from trying constantly like when flooded with gas or water (I just have a pod filter on my sons bike and he's gotten into 14" of water) the battery ends up almost useless and the pull starter is our only savior :eek2: dunno how many times I'd of had to hit the charger without it LOL. pita on my ltr450 yesterday when my batt died :mad: wish all bikes had a kicker backup

cannondale27
10-06-2010, 09:36 PM
True that!