PDA

View Full Version : Removing light switch/on off switch.

bigmike1500
09-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Im looking to remove the handlebar light switch/kill switch and wire the headlights to always run. I also plan on adding a battery so if I stall the bike, the lights will not shut off. I figured I could use the key to turn the bike off or just hold the brake and stall it out when I need to shut it down.

Who here has removed the switches/hotstart from the bars to clean it up? do I need to do anything or will it run if I just unplug it from the harness?

Baileygunns
09-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Just unplug it...

Have you thought about a dirt bike kill switch? Just a small button... might be a good option for you.

bigmike1500
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Yea, That was a consideration. I was thinking about mounting it near the key, or somewhere else. Im just trying to keep the bars clean as possible.

I might mount it later with a light switch somewhere on the frame.

Baileygunns
09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
If you're keeping the key, toss the switch all togeather. I have an MSR clutch perch with a hot start lever on it and no kill switch at all. I use the key to kill the bike. I have a tether kill switch wired in but still use the key for everything.

bigmike1500
09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Yea, I think I am going to get rid of the hot start as well and see how it works.

I figured I could just use the key or just stall the bike to shut it down.

When cleaning up the harness, can I just cut the wires, or do I need to put a cap on the wires?

Baileygunns
09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
What are you cutting out? Are you making a "race" harness or just cutting stuff out?

bigmike1500
09-27-2010, 03:17 PM
No race harness, just trying to remove things like Temp light, brake switches, etc.

Need to know if I can remove that stuff, and still have the rear light work. I guess I could hook up the tail light to the relay for the lights.

Baileygunns
09-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Follow the wires from what ever it is you want to take off and just un plug it from the main harness... You will have to pop the hood off to get to the temp lights and the kill switch...

Word of advice... leave the temp light. If it starts to over heat for what ever reason and you don't catch it, BIG issues are to follow.

Check this out... I just whipped it up in the garage the night before last for my wife's 250EX... It's MUCH nicer than the stock dash but still holds the lights. She has a neutral and reverse light with a key on hers...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/Baileygunns/250EX%20build/003-1.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/Baileygunns/250EX%20build/002-1.jpg

I just put a set of fat bars with anti vibe on my 450 and I made this... I actually cut up her plastic dash to make it, lol

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/Baileygunns/stearing%20stem/023.jpg

bigmike1500
09-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Yea, Im not sure if I am going to take the temp light out or not. When I got the bike, it was not in, But if I keep it I am going to drill a hole in the plastics and mount the light up top near the bars, and the key I will most likely mount on the right side down by the fender.

NESC104
01-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Any luck with this....Did you add the battery. I am also looking to add a battery to my 450r so that I don't lose the taillight when the engine is off.