PDA

View Full Version : steering geometry/ alignment issues

paul_700
09-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I've got an 86r with lonestar baja frame, lonestar +2+1 LT arms, stock spindles, stock steering stem, float evol shocks. My issue is when turning the bars the wheel to the outside of the turn turns maybe half as tight as the inside wheel causing a pushing action. Also bump steer seems to be horrible with this setup as the alignment changes drasticly through the suspension travel. I have also tried some american star +2+1 LT arms with same problems. I don't remember having this problem with some of the other Rs i've used in the past. Any ideas as to what is causing this? Is it my combination of front end parts not working well together or is it a setup problem? Any ideas?

Honda 250r 001
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
I was just about to post something about this and this popped up!!!
Im having the same trouble with mine, +3 long travel a arms, 400ex spindles, pep shocks, stock steering stem and the alignment changes like non other though the suspension travel! Mainly when its nearing topping out it changes drasticly, then from there on down though the travel is barely changes at all...

slamdak8782
09-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Are the arms designed for the stock spindle. Did you cange out to a longer tie rod to accommodate the longer a arm travel.

fearlessfred
09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
the wheel on the inside of turn wheel will turn more than the outside .this is by design, its called ackerman. the inside wheel has a sharper turning radius. if its doing the opposite somethings wrong

slamdak8782
09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you have the wheels flipped backwards?

Honda 250r 001
09-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok first of all we need to clear up what bump steer is. there are two definitions that i have heard of. Which one are you speaking of paul_700?

Bump steer could be the toe in changing as the suspension is compressed, as when going over a bump the suspension compresses causing it to "steer" into another direction.

bump steer could also be your bars jerking to one side when you hit a pot hole and causing you to turn uncontrollably.

paul_700
09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
We are on the same page with the bump steer term. I am referring to the toe changing as the suspension compresses causing unpredictable handling when slamming off whoop faces or on high G takeoffs etc. Not referring to feedback through the bars. I am used to some amount of ackerman (just learned that was the technical term for it though) but this seems a little extreme. I will try to get a pic up, and you guys can tell me if i am worrying over nothing or if something is really out of sync here.

wilkin250r
09-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
bump steer could also be your bars jerking to one side when you hit a pot hole and causing you to turn uncontrollably.

That's not really "bump steer" as it is traditionally defined. Bump steer is exactly what you described earlier, it's the change in toe-in as the suspension travels.

The action of the bars jerking in your hands when you hit a rock or bump is called steering feedback.

Honda 250r 001
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
That's not really "bump steer" as it is traditionally defined. Bump steer is exactly what you described earlier, it's the change in toe-in as the suspension travels.

The action of the bars jerking in your hands when you hit a rock or bump is called steering feedback.

Yes, i never said either was truely the definition of bump steer, but i see bump steer used as the other way many times in the forums. I just wanted to clear it up.