PDA

View Full Version : Runs rough after valve adjustment

bostthehause
09-25-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a 1984 Honda TRX 200. It was running fine until I decided to adjust the valves on it because it hadn't been done in forever. I consulted the owner's manual and followed the valve adjustment procedures step for step. I aligned the two timing marks to make sure that the engine was at the top of the compression stroke. Once I had the marks aligned, I then wiggled the rocker arms by hand and they were loose, which would mean that the engine was indeed at the top of the compression stroke. I then adjusted both the intake and exhaust valves to the specs recommended by the manual, which was .05mm(.002in). After I put the quad back together, it was difficult to crank. I did eventually get it cranked and it idled fine. It also runs fine at lower rpms, but at upper rpms it loses power and runs extremely rough! It spits a lot of white smoke out of the tailpipe when it is running. Also, the quad has a compression release lever, which is supposed to make it easier to pull crank. After the valve adjustment the compression release lever no longer works. The lever won't stick at the top like it is supposed to. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it? I am out of ideas. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Tyler01
10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
I have the same problem. I went out there one day to adjust mine and after that i can't get it to start worth a dang. and when im riding it . . it smokes out of the pipe like your does.

Im gonna re adjust mine tomorrow and im gonna see how it does.

sixer3
10-25-2010, 06:18 PM
make sure you guys are adjusting your valves on a completely cold engine and also make sure you haven't mixed up the clearances, intake side should have a smaller valve lash than the exhaust side.

fmftrx300ex
10-25-2010, 06:49 PM
also ur timing marks will line up 2 times so if u ajusted them not on the compression stroke they could be way off causing the hard starting and poor running. take ur valve covers off and ur spark plug out and ur timing hole covers get it to tdcon the timing marks and check tht piston/valves areas they would beon the compression stroke if there not turn it 180 degrees nd try agian

Tyler01
10-28-2010, 05:12 PM
I just adjusted mine today and after i got it all back together she ran like a charm. She started up fine and everything.

I let it ideal for about 5/10 minutes and then i took off.
She sounded better but still has a tick but that normal for my type of four wheeler.

btw

Last night i tried to adjust them and come to find . . . when i was adjusting them somehow the motor rolled over and i didn't know it till today . . .cuz i couldn't get the feeler gauge in there for the love of GOD . .

Just make sure your timing marks are in lined . . . just a tip