PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Clutch

mydirtkids
09-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Anyone using the slipper clutches? Pro's n Con's?

Thinking of trying one for next year. I am using the Stage6 clutch with the CNC bell and Wiley 21 tooth slipper sprocket right now. Also use the Malossi 90 and complete overrange kit. Seems to do the job just fine, but willing to experiment a little.

Logan #34's Dad
09-25-2010, 01:40 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pros: It WILL stop transmission failures
Cons: TO Damn expensive.

zach R 7x
09-27-2010, 06:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
[B]If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This is funny as hell coming from you Rocky!! LOL:D

I am with Rocky on this, stay with the slipper sprocket if it is working for you.

Coley'sdad#8
09-27-2010, 06:18 AM
We burned slipper clutch down last weekend, rebuilt and ran this weekend with no problem but it only had 3 short motos, 2 of which were babied because Coley had a good crashola in practice and was real sore and not even getting off the seat much. I will tear it down and inspect this week. What kind of life expectancy are you others getting with yours , maintenance intervals and which motor setup you got???

mydirtkids
09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
The Wiley seemed to work great. We had a tranny break the other day due to the darn needle bearing failing. The sprocket was kinda moving around a little (couple chain scars on the side of the sprocket teeth due to alignment with the gears moving around). Well the disks are not glued to the sprocket anymore. One of the disks was cracked. The disk did not make contact with the chain, and not sure how long the disk was cracked. Followed the sprocket break-in procedure to the T and never torqued above the 80lbs recommended.

I do have another sprocket I can use, just wonder if the discs should be glued or not? If I have to invest another $280 for another wiley, now might be the time to try the slipper clutch.. Making big power fully modded bike and motor. Just not sure how well the slipper clutch will work. Also want to keep the stage 6 clutch..

Who sells the slipper clutch anyway? Thanks

jerkyboy
09-27-2010, 02:22 PM
If you need new discs for the wiley mods slipper sprocket you should call Paul and he can put new pads on the one you have.
The new ones hes been making have better discs on them.

djdfairchild
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
i believe the slipper clutch is just the clutch bell. you can still run what ever clutch you want. and i've heard the people running them are putting out good h.p. with no problems. anyone can correct me if i'm wrong about the clutch. and i believe D.C. is the one most are using.

#404's Dad
09-27-2010, 07:18 PM
Been running our own slipper clutches for two full seasons on my son's quads and several customers quads with zero issues. You can run pretty much what ever clutch you want but not the small ones although I am considering trying to make a smaller setup to allow the smaller clutch to be used.

The slipper sprockets are a good choice as well but seem to require more babysitting as their failure is usually the owner not torquing correctly and/or routinely.

mydirtkids
09-28-2010, 06:46 AM
If you need new discs for the wiley mods slipper sprocket you should call Paul and he can put new pads on the one you have.

Anyone got Pauls #? My pads were fine, torqued and broke in according to the instructions. One cracked, and neither are glued on anymore. Not sure if they need to be glued or not? Thanks

CatHR
10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
The slipper clutches are the way to go if you can swing the cost. I hate "baby-sitting" the slipper sprockets. Lord forbid the one time you don't check the torque on it, it starts over slipping and you're lucky if you make it across the finish line.
As for the people having issues with the slipper clutches, which manufacture did you use? DC's is a little under engineered. Mostly creating issues like stated above. Hetrick's has been working better. I think they put more time into engineering theirs. Just because it worked the first time you tested it, doesn't mean that its ready to be sold to the public. Hetricks took longer to come out but it has way fewer issues. Long term testing really does help engineer a better product.
Also, if you are using the slipper clutch, you can buy regular sprockets and change at will. You are not stuck with only being able to change rear sprockets to correct your sprocket ratio. Its nice changing the front sprocket instead of the rear. Much easier and quicker to change the front.
Imagine; to have a 20T and 21T front slipper sprockets would cost more than buying a quality slipper clutch and regular 20T and 21T front sprockets. Not to mention the baby-sitting time.

jerkyboy
10-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by mydirtkids

Anyone got Pauls #? My pads were fine, torqued and broke in according to the instructions. One cracked, and neither are glued on anymore. Not sure if they need to be glued or not? Thanks

609 387 3060

racekids
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
We broke our first tranny this weekend in a race. I am now looking to do slipper sprocket. I noticed in this thread people dicussing Slipper sprockets and slipper clutches. Can someone educate me on the difference pros/cons etc.?

I have seen the sprockets but not the clutches. Do I have to do away with the S6 clutch I am running now to do a slipper clutch? Thx for any help

jerkyboy
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
You can still run that clutch. But what you will have to do is run
2 clutch cover gaskets. Maybee someone on here has a pic of one
they can post for you.

qcitytile
10-03-2010, 05:53 PM
we could not run our stage 6 clutch with the slipper clutch because the stage 6 is 107mm clutch and the slipper uses a 109 clutch but maybe someone else makes a slipper bell for a 107 clutch we had a dc slipper

Coley'sdad#8
10-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Raven asketh and Raven recieveth, there is a special adjustable clutch available, I just went through this:rolleyes: