View Full Version : Oil Change

RedSonya
09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a REALLY dumb question -

Is there a thread on here that will show me how to change my oil and oil filter? I just got a quad this year, and I'd really like to learn how to do these things myself! The thread showing how to put the 450R shocks on was fantastic!

ctdiesel99
09-24-2010, 12:36 PM
i just changed my oil last night, so i'll try to help you out as much as possible. you have to drain it from two spots: 1). oil drain plug on the shifter side of the bike, below the chain area, it's a bolt close by the frame. 2). the oil tank. Once those two are drained, go to the other side of the bike ( by the rear brake lever), and take out the 2 bolts that hold the filter cover on. Remove the filter cover and old filter, and replace filter. After you've put the bottom drain plug back in, put 1 and 1/2 quart of oil in the oil tank. Turn the quad on and let it idle for about 5 minutes to get the oil re-circulated. Then top off the oil tank with the remaining 1/2 quart of oil. Let the quad run for another 5 minutes, then check the level of oil in the tank with the dipstick. IIRC the 99-04 ex's take 1.95 quarts total, and the 05 and up ex's take just a tad over 2 quarts. hope this helps you out.

slightlybent47
09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
If you ride it much you will be an old pro at it in no time, keep fresh oil in it at all times and it will last for years. I change mine every 4 hours of ride time or if I ride the whole weekend I’ll change it when the ride is done. The filter will last for about two oil changes and then it gets a new filter. The brand of oil is not the important thing, keeping fresh oil in it is.

RedSonya
09-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks so much to everyone for your advice! Happy riding! :)

hocman123
09-24-2010, 02:48 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/oilchange400ex.html

this is a good link with pics and everything help me on my first oil change

mjc400ex
09-24-2010, 03:23 PM
If you have a chassis skid plate you will have to take it off for the oil change.
I used a ~2" hole saw and cut a hole in the skid plate so now I don't have to take it off to change oil.
Best mod ever!!!!! Hahaha

hocman123
09-24-2010, 10:43 PM
my skid came with 2 holes in it one under the tank and one by the case

RedSonya
09-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I think we met with success today!