PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing electrical connections

WoodTRD
09-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Long story short, the previous owner of my 400ex cut the wires going into the engine while swapping the stator and spliced them back together with butt connectors. I bought the bike not running and after a few weeks ALMOST have it trail worthy, I just want to be sure these wires aren't going to short out if they get wet. I'm planning on doing away with the butt connectors, soldering the wires, covering them with heat shrink tubing, and maybe wrapping with electrical tape. Any advice?

Just recently signed up and first post, but I've been reading here off and on for many years and finally ran across a deal on a 2004 400ex I couldn't pass up. Wasn't running and the guy that had it before me couldn't figure out why and sold it to me cheap with a spare head (exhaust studs broken), and bottom end. Eventually after a bit of frustration and confusion figured out it was missing the tiny spring and plunger that goes under the stock cam. Replaced it and it fired right up.

Scro
09-24-2010, 10:33 AM
You should be fine with soldering and heat shrink wrap. You can also apply some dielectric grease to the soldering before heat shrinking, but I'd say that may be a little overkill.

camaromitch
09-24-2010, 02:06 PM
^^

I agree with scrapping the electrical tape. That crap just dries up and falls off eventually anyways. If you did want something over the heat shrink I would recommend some liquid electrical tape. I don't even own a roll of electrical tape any more after finding that stuff. Just my .02

mlabarca240
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
If you really wanna be 100% sure there will not be any water intrusion there is a type of heat shrink that has a glue on the inside and when you heat it the glue melts and creates a water tight seal. Its a little hard to find but its really great stuff!

slightlybent47
09-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Do not solder the connectors, use the crimp type only. There is a reason the factory dose not solder them, they will corrode if you solder them. If you notice there is not one single connection that has solder on it, on the entire bike. water will get in and if it cant get out it will corrode, (guaranteed). If you want to keep water out spray all the connections with silicone before you ride, that’s about all you can do.

440ex. ehhh!!
09-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Agreed about the heat shrink stuff.
my dad gets it all from work, (Ford dealership) and i have done a lot of wiring on my 440 and my new to me 05 450r. the package comes with small silver crimps and i think 4 or 5 heat shrink raps. thats all you need, as you heat the rap just work your way out from the middle and a glue type substance will come out and dry within minutes creating a water tight seal.

From what i can remember, i wired in a Pro Armor kill switch, head lights, the regulator, and a few other wires around the battery because the previous owner had cut them.
And in the 2 weeks i have had my 450r i've put headlights, tail lights, and rad fan switch, and soon a Pro Armor kill switch.

That stuff works great! Not sure where else you would be able to get it though. i guess maybe if you went in to the dealer and just asked to buy a few packs off em, idk.

and i find this section of the forum much better then the 450 section. Not as many of em on there, not many people asking unique questions or doing and projects, and the people who answer don't seem to be too in to it.
Just my $0.02

Josh

CJM
09-24-2010, 06:26 PM
dielectric grease, but vaseline also works.

I like crimp on connections, I also do electrical tape but its all in the good tape-3m brand only not the cheap junk you get for a dollar.

WoodTRD
09-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Since the consensus was not to solder, I picked up a pack of 3m butt connectors with heat shrink over them and some sort of sealant inside...Just for extra insurance I may pick up a can of liquid electrical tape to coat them with as well, thanks for the replies.

Next project is replacing the left side case gasket, it was sealed with gasket maker by the previous owner and leaks pretty good while running...hopefully it won't be too rough of a job, I'm wanting to get it finished tomorrow early enough to ride some in the evening. Not really too fond of having to check the oil every so often during a ride and would rather go ahead and do it right.

f4iracer
09-26-2010, 06:35 AM
just get some silocone spray, i keep it around for all my electrical connections also helps to loosen the key in the winter if it freezes.