PDA

View Full Version : swingarm bolt

400exshop
09-23-2010, 06:50 PM
how are you all geting you pivot bolt or swingarm bolt out ? mine is stuck.

416racer
09-23-2010, 06:57 PM
hammers,torches,sawzalls,air hammers,bigger hammers more heat,cussing......good luck;)

Btw now that I got mine out it comes out every 3-6 months to clean and lube

and watch your thumbs!!!

400exshop
09-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 416racer
hammers,torches,sawzalls,air hammers,bigger hammers more heat,cussing......good luck;)

Btw now that I got mine out it comes out every 3-6 months to clean and lube

and watch your thumbs!!!

man its a sum bbbbbbbbbbbbb to get out. hammer and bigger hammer check. air hammer check . cussing lots of the checks.
good luck is out the window with my foot . heat is next. then throwing things will be the last thing i hope. lol with less cussing.
thanks for the info.

IMSROLL450R
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I've found in the past a can of Bud Light never hurt either.....

JTrider
09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
I recently removed mine and it was stuck at first too. Here is how I removed mine. I turned the quad on its side with the clutch cover side down. You want the nut on top. Then I sprayed pb blaster penetrating oil all over the bolt and bushings and let it sit for 24 hours. Then I resprayed and let let sit for another 24 hours. Then I reversed the nut and and threaded it back on until the flat part of the nut was equal with the bolt. I tried using a piece of wood and a hammer but it wouldn't break loose. I ended up taking a small sledge hammer and with a direct hit and lots of force it finally came loose. Then I removed the nut and finished pushing it through. Hope this helps.

99RED4X4
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Oh I remember about a year ago when I was flipping out trying to figure out how to get it out!

I was searching all over the internet for different tips and tricks.

Well I think mine turned out to be the WORST case of "frozen swingarm bolt" known to man.

I did everything. And I mean everything. Then took it to a buddy who is a desiel mechainc and he thought I was stupid at first, then once we heated it with a cutting torch and beat it with a 12lb. sledge for an hour he believed me that it was impossible to get out.

Well I ended up cracking my swingarm, and we had to torch the bolt off, and the swingarm off. It sucked.

I tell everyone now to remove their swingarm bolt and grease it, even if their bike is brand new. Noone ever listens...............

400exshop
09-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 99RED4X4
Oh I remember about a year ago when I was flipping out trying to figure out how to get it out!

Well I think mine turned out to be the WORST case of "frozen swingarm bolt" known to man.

I did everything. And I mean everything. Then took it to a buddy who is a desiel mechainc and he thought I was stupid at first, then once we heated it with a cutting torch and beat it with a 12lb. sledge for an hour he believed me that it was impossible to get out.

Well I ended up cracking my swingarm, and we had to torch the bolt off, and the swingarm off. It sucked.

I tell everyone now to remove their swingarm bolt and grease it, even if their bike is brand new. Noone ever listens...............
I had to do the same to mine. I had to cut it out. but i was able to save the swinger.

jasonwayne222
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
I just tore my bike down for a frame swop\rebuild and the swingarm bolt was broke flush in the motor on both sides and the rest frozen in the swingarm and frame, well luckily i have a 6extended swingarm and was able to get the motor out since the bolt was broke off on both sides

killer400ex
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 99RED4X4

idk about yours being the worst case, i had it in a shop with a 20 lb sledge hammer, an air hammer, torches, big rig impact wrenches, the works and i couldnt get it out after a week of trying, my shop teacher almost had a heart attack trying to help me get it out, we had to cut it out with an acetylene torch and it wound up accidently melting pert of the swing arm which made my day that much better, it turned out that the bolt had slightly bent in the motor casing part causing the bolt to be impossibly stuck