PDA

View Full Version : Help me again- Rear end woes!!!

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Put the carrier in, brake stay, clip that holds brake stay on the carrier, rotor, axle nut/threads, clip to hold that in place, and this is where i'm at. I set the chain up with about 1 1/2 inches of play. when i turn the axle by hand, sitting at the back of the quad looking at the axle, turning it toward the front of the bike (forward), i can turn it by hand but it's a little tight. and if i try to spin the axle it doesn't spin at all. i fired up the quad and went through 1-3 gears without the tires/hubs on just to see what was going on, and everything seems good, but when you're in gear, give it throttle and then clutch it, the axle stops itself, doesn't keep spinning freely. what the heck am i doing wrong here? also the brake stay has a little bit of up and down play, rotating off of that nub that the front of the brake stay fits onto. I'm baffled, and this ride is in 36 hours.

Scro
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm confused. At first you say you can spin it by hand, and then you say you can't. When you pull in the clutch with no wheels and tires on, there's not enough rotational mass to keep it spinning. Even with the wheels and tires on, they wouldn't spin very long without any power going to them.

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I CAN spin the axle by hand, it just feels really tight, like it should spin easier. Idk, maybe i'm just worried/inexperienced, i just feel like something's not right.

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 05:23 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T1yf06fVV4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T1yf06fVV4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Pappy
09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Looks fine, button it up and test ride it.

The play in the brake stay is normal

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 05:38 PM
omg that makes me feel so much better. i'm also having a little problem with getting the caliper back on the rotor and bolted to the brake stay. i get the pads to clear the rotor, but when i go to bolt up the caliper to the stay, the top bolt hit's the swing arm and i can't get it in there straight. and with the caliper sitting on the rotor, turning the axle it drags and stops on a certain part of the rotor, but everything looks straight. I feel like i'm so close to being ready for this ride saturday, i just don't want to throw everything back together too quick and do more damage than good.

PaRedneckRiders
09-23-2010, 05:49 PM
sorta sounds like something is rubbing like metal on metal

Either the bearings are starting to go or the chain is to tight, making it hard to spin and would also prematurely wear the rear bearings

CJM
09-23-2010, 06:04 PM
your chain looks to tight. Right now as it sits, grab the upper part near the center of the chain-it should move a good inch or better.

PaRedneckRiders
09-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by CJM
your chain looks to tight. Right now as it sits, grab the upper part near the center of the chain-it should move a good inch or better.
I always went with while your sittin on the bike it should move between 1/4"-1/2" and ive never had any problems

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 06:59 PM
i'll take a look at the chain in the morning. just found out my rotor is bent, that's why my back brakes kept grabbing when i was turning the axle. Guess i get to go through the hassle of finding a back rotor tomorrow. sure am cuttin it close

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by PaRedneckRiders
sorta sounds like something is rubbing like metal on metal

Either the bearings are starting to go or the chain is to tight, making it hard to spin and would also prematurely wear the rear bearings
this is a brand new carrier and bearings

Scro
09-23-2010, 07:01 PM
If you are in a pinch, you can bend the rotor back with a hammer or crescent wrench. You may not have the best rear brakes in the world, but it will get you by for a weekend.

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
i kind of used it haha. No, i honestly was kind of in a hurry and just got it to where it was kind of tight but had some play. i'm guessing it needs to have a good deal of play then huh?

honda400ex2003
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
measure it like done in the manual this will be the correct method to measure it. this is even in the owners manual so if you have that you can look. dont even need the shop one for it. i feel bad for you all you wanna do is get it ready to ride and find this stuff. didnt you just get this thing? steve

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Scro
If you are in a pinch, you can bend the rotor back with a hammer or crescent wrench. You may not have the best rear brakes in the world, but it will get you by for a weekend.
i don't know if i should call it a "bend". it's more like a "bump" spot in the rotor. i'll try tomorrow to beat it with a hammer and see if i can get it straight enough to ride this weekend

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
measure it like done in the manual this will be the correct method to measure it. this is even in the owners manual so if you have that you can look. dont even need the shop one for it. i feel bad for you all you wanna do is get it ready to ride and find this stuff. didnt you just get this thing? steve
yeah i just bought it 3 weeks ago knowing it needed new tires and bearings in the back. so far i've changed the oil and filter, replaced the bearing carrier, one rear hub, brand new tires, brand new moose odi locking grips, brand new rear brake pads, and some other odds and ends. the last owner probably took care of his *** hole better than he did this bike, seriously. i just keep finding stuff i want to fix, but it'll get there over time. so far i've got $900 in the quad itself, and about $350-$400 in parts doing all the labor myself. this winter i'd like to strip everything down, powdercoat the frame, redo some wiring and put new plastics on. but i've got to get it in riding condition and enjoy it for a little bit before i do all that.

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
will a rotor/hub work off of another quad or just ones off of a 400ex?