PDA

View Full Version : need help figuring out what i have

eotrx400ex
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
i traded for this yfz with the understanding it needed a head gasket.. i went into this deal knowing it would plobably need more, it does. cylinder has a crack in the bore by a water jacket .. while removing the topend i found that it has a VENOM piston (are these forged? or junk) that looks to have very few hours. a head thats had some port work done. and a HOT ROD connecting rod that im wondering if its possibly a stroker crank. HD 621 is stamped onthe conecting rod. plus the cam have writing the Ext.cam has WW-HCGD NO:44 the Int.cam has WW-HCFE NO:23 can any one tell me if they are stock. plus the cylinder bore measures around 97.80mm. markings on itQ1264 is stamped on the side oposit of the timing chain. 5TA01 casted into the front (facing forward) thanks

mxpimp2000
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Im gonna say that is a 98mm big bore cylinder made by cylinder works. YES those are crappy *** cylinders and NO one has good luck with them that i know. They ALWAYS crack and blow head gaskets. The venom pistons YES are good pistons. That rod prb isnt a stroker unless u have some sort of spacer to add height to the cylinder for the piston to clear the head at TDC. Those cams sound like hotcams. HC would be ur give away. HD on the rod means heavy duty. Sounds like u have a built motor and My opinion i would put stock cylinder back on it with a CP 13.5:1 or 14:1 piston. The cylinder works kits are not worth the money and a big bore dosent add as much HP as some ppl think. Ive seen stock bore stock stroke bikes pushn 60hp. with the right stuff u can really make it run. Since u have the head and cylinder off see if the oil mod has been done. look for a squirter stickin out where the rod moves up and down on the right case side.

eotrx400ex
10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
thanks for the advice! i am in process of putting it back to stock bore (oem cylinder) with forged piston. alot of ppl i've talk with have the same opinion as you do on that. as for the crank, i talked with hot rods an they said it is a stroker BUT for the 04-05 it's the one to make it a "true" 450. cams are stage 1's. the oil mod has not been done which i am going to have done along with 07+ oil pump. the clutch "mod" has also been done (if thats what its referred to i think) by replacing the 2 thin spacer in back for extra clutch fiber. i split the case to make sure EVERTHING is good.