PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma: Need help asap!!!

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 03:33 PM
So i just got all my parts in for my 400ex. I have a big ride this saturday and trying to get it ready to ride. I have an awful oil leak that over the course of 2 weeks has ruined my garage floor. I ordered a missing bolt for the case thinking that is where the problem was. got that bolt in there no problem, i started tightening up the other bolts close by and all were fine except for one. I tried to tighten it but it just wouldnt not tighten, so i though must be stripped. took it out and sure enough half of the threads were covered in material from the hole it was in. Now the tricky part, the bolt hole that is stripped is the one that runs from the oil cooler into the side of the motor, kind of close to the rear brake pedal. So now i'm stuck at a stand still. What are my options? Can i just re tap that hole or will that push metal shavings inside my motor? I really need to get this fixed SOON and i can't have it still leaking this much oil on this ride coming up. Thanks in advance guys

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
somebody please tell me this is going to be an easy fix

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 05:01 PM
i guess your best bet would be to drill and retap VERY carefully. you will have to do both of the parts with the bigger hole just the block with the tap. get a shop vac, and put it right next to the hole to suck the parts out, go really slow with cutting fluid, and come completely out often. ok... that sounds a bit weird doesnt it. lol anyway, make sure you only go as deep as the bolt depth now. measure it out first with a small bit then transfer the measurement with tape onto the one you are going to use. this will take it only to the end of the hole since it does not go all the way into the block. this also means that you will bottom out the tap at some point. the other option would be a helicoil. find only the next biggest size required to do it. i guess that would be an ok resolution to the problem at hand lol. ill see what i can think of while i am sitting here tonight. you still have time to get it done before saturday. steve

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 05:12 PM
thank you steve, i was hoping you would check this thread out. my question is, if i were to try and retap it would i need to remove the case cover or do it with it on? second, if i decided to just try the next biggest bolt, would that suffice? i don't have a drill and tap set, so i would have to buy one, which would be pretty expensive i would think. I really just don't know what to do at this point, and don't know if i trust myself to try and do it right.

wolfe 21
09-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Putting some grease on the bit/tap will help trap shavings and keep them out of the motor, just fyi.

James.

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
so should i take the case cover off to retap it or leave it on? and also should i put the retap tool on the end of a power drill or try and do it by hand? sorry for so many dumb questions, but i've never done this before, and i really don't want to mess it up anymore than it already is.

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 05:23 PM
i would take it off if you have a new gasket. if it is the stocker still it will be tore getting it off. dont use a drill, use the correct tool to mount the tap in and turn it in by hand. grease is a good idea also! steve

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
whoops, the other post must not have loaded all the way when i saw the grease one. if you dont have a tap set, i would see if you can find some auto place or machine shop to tap it for you. they should def be able to do that. too bad im not closer. i would use my set to do it. the next bolt should be plenty fine, as long as the hole is drilled the right size using the correct chart for tapping and use the correct diameter bolt. it isnt tough but i am not sure i would risk it if you havent done it before. a machine shop may even be able to fill it with weld and retap it that way. it would be a possibility though. steve

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 05:51 PM
so would it be stupid of me to just go a find the next biggest bolt and screw it in there without tapping it or anything???

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
yup, dont do that. steve

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 05:53 PM
yup, dont do that. steve

ctdiesel99
09-22-2010, 06:11 PM
how much $$ and how long would you expect a machine shop to take doing something like this? i still have to get my tires mounted and the rest of the rear end back together tomorrow before i can take it somewhere, and like i said the ride is on saturday.

P.S. the bolt is in there right now, and although it's not as tight as it should be, it's fairly snug. Do you think this is something i should go ahead and try to get fixed before the big ride saturday, or just deal with it next week?

honda400ex2003
09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
tough call on both. half hour at a machine shop maybe? i am not sure at all. lol not sure on the bolt either, if it would at least get pretty tight it would probably be ok but i dont know without being there to make a call. that is up to you. http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/confused0082.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

sorry, someone else will chime in though im sure. maybe with a bit better solution. i know i couldnt ride a machine i know is possibly not ready to go so i would try my best to get it fixed before riding it. steve

NMills
09-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Have a Lowes near by??? i've gotten Tap and Die sets for like 20 bucks or so... not the best set.. but has a couple sizes... i think they have American and Metric sizes... and always tap by hand.... drill it right... and get the proper tap... a 1/2 to 3/4 turn in if possible... adn back it off... and just keep cutting a little at a time.... i had to do that tonite with my front bumper mounts... drill... tap.... tap ... tap.... and after a bit of time had a brand new hole to stick a bolt into...

if the screw is now snug... can you use teflon tape? just to seal the threads up??

CJM
09-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Take the case cover off and make sure you get the gasket. Be careful removing it as the little spring detent in the clutch cable assy is in there. Be gentle.

Scraping off the old gasket sucks, but it needs to be done. Make sure you have a good razor scraper, I like the kind with the screwdriver style handle you can put a razor blade in.

To tap the hole, try this first:

-Find the appropriate size you need, probably can use the other bolt as a guide-take it with you to home depot or lowes.

-Buy the tap, its probably M6x1.0 or maybe m6x1.25 or m6x.75, pretty sure its 1.0 tho. Thats means the thread size is 6mm, the head of those bolts is 8mm iirc. You will also need a tap handle. If lowes/HD doesnt have the tap, a harbor freight store has decent sets for 10 bucks or you could try a sears or similar. I know home depot sells an entire kit with tap and drill together, not sure if they have metric sizes tho.

-Buy an M6 and M7 bolt at lowes/HD (more on why you need the 7mm later)

-Once you got the case off, see if perhaps you can just tap the hole and clean up the threads in there. Perhaps someone just did a pee poor job of putting it back on.

-If the tap goes in there with barely any resistance you have a small issue now. The hole is to large for your 6mm bolt-therefore you need the next size up-thats 7mm. You need a drill bit thats that size too, to drill out the hole properly. A 17/64 bit is somewhat to small but the case material is soft and it will work, but preferable is a letter H or I sized drillbit as they are much close to 7mm.

-Take time your drilling out the the hole in the case and be extra carefull drilling out the oil line end and or pin (only drill those if truly needed, might not need to be since its bigger than the 6mm bolt!!!!), use wheel bearing or similar heavy grease as a lubricant, it will catch most of the shavings. make sure to cover the work area with a rag to prevent shavings from going everywhere. Once your done drilling it, use brakecleen to clean out the hole.

-Tap your hole, go a few turns with the tap and turn a few turns back to clean it out-dont force it, once done clean out again with brakecleen.

-Thread bolt in and bingo your done.

Just take your time, its doable.

tri5ron
09-22-2010, 10:36 PM
ctdiesel,
Get someone to help you.

If you get impatient, and try a mickey mouse fix, it is going to cost you alot of pain, heartache, and cash.
(and possibly even a Blown engine)

one ride is not worth chancing your engine.

Steve has given you some solid advise, but that is also assuming that you have some experience with basic machining skills.

By the nature of some of your questions,...
I HIGHLY recommend that you seek out the assistance of someone who has those skills and experience.

watch them do it, and learn what they are doing, and WHY they are doing it.
this will be a valuable skill for you to learn for future use.

OR,...
do the dumb thing,... get in a rush,... try some half-witted attempt at a substandard repair,...

and start planning on buying a new engine soon.

Do it Right,... or don't do it at all.

CJM
09-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I do agree with Ron, but I will also say that taking it slowly, looking over it and asking questions you can accomplish this yourself.

Then again, it helps to have experience doing things like this.

togup
09-23-2010, 01:23 AM
stick a piece of wire into the hole when it stops use your thumb nail as a reference for the depth ,compare the bolt to the length of wire you may just need a longer bolt, highly doubt it but worth a shot .

honda400ex2003
09-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
ctdiesel,
Get someone to help you.

If you get impatient, and try a mickey mouse fix, it is going to cost you alot of pain, heartache, and cash.
(and possibly even a Blown engine)

one ride is not worth chancing your engine.

Steve has given you some solid advise, but that is also assuming that you have some experience with basic machining skills.

By the nature of some of your questions,...
I HIGHLY recommend that you seek out the assistance of someone who has those skills and experience.

watch them do it, and learn what they are doing, and WHY they are doing it.
this will be a valuable skill for you to learn for future use.

OR,...
do the dumb thing,... get in a rush,... try some half-witted attempt at a substandard repair,...

and start planning on buying a new engine soon.

Do it Right,... or don't do it at all.

:D x2 steve

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by togup
stick a piece of wire into the hole when it stops use your thumb nail as a reference for the depth ,compare the bolt to the length of wire you may just need a longer bolt, highly doubt it but worth a shot .

see i actually took another bolt out of the case cover that was the same thread size, just longer and it seemed to be able to tighten down, it was just a bit too long. I think that will be my quickest/cheapest/easiest route for this one. I've called several machine shops and every single one of them wants me to take it completely apart and just bring them the part that needs to be rethreaded, and i dont have time nor the patience for the to be completely honest. After this weekend, if the longer bolt doesn't work to my standards then i will get a buddy to come help me drill the hole and retap it.

CJM
09-23-2010, 10:49 AM
bolt with washers man..make sure its tight or it will leak. but tbh try a tap, might just need clean up the threads.

ctdiesel99
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
little update: went to the hardware store today and got a bolt that was about 1/4 inch longer than the one that was in there, and she's tight as can be now. thanks for the help guys. If this one comes loose, i'll be re-threading the hole!!!

NMills
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Make sure you keep an eye on it... if it starts leaking/seeping... then it's probably time to do it the right way... sucks being short on time... i know.. it happens to all of us..

togup
09-24-2010, 12:28 AM
glad to help , speaking of bolts I bought a stainless bolt kit for an xr 400 because I have an xr400 left side cover and I am impressed with it . The heads are allen and they have been smoothed and polished makes the motor look professionaly built ,I dont hear much chatter on the forum about them wonder why?