PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Scope

Dirtjunkie85
09-22-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm buyin the new Leupold scope and i wondered which power you guys reccomend? 3-9 or 4-12? I think those are the ones it might be off a litttle. It's for my Rem .270

Pappy
09-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Eastern deer etc, 3x9 is fine, if your heading out west the 4x12 would be nice. The 4x12 would be good if you intend to hunt Yotes or have open ground.

ZeroLogic
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Depends on what you plan on doing with the rifle. I have a 3x9 on my Rem .223, Its fine up to 200 yards anything beyond that the hairs cover up the target. (1 inch circle)

I know right now Leupold is having a scope sale and when you buy a scope from them you get free target turrets that just screw right on where the caps go. You might want to check into that.

A 100 dollar value.:rolleyes:

Pappy
09-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Pretty sure you can get most of the 3x9's with different reticles. I shoot ground hogs with my deer rifles to stay squared away with them and 200 yards plus is a starting yardage LOL!

To fine of a reticle in a hunting rifle can cause problems at dawn and dusk....they tend to disappear.

ZeroLogic
09-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Pretty sure you can get most of the 3x9's with different reticles. I shoot ground hogs with my deer rifles to stay squared away with them and 200 yards plus is a starting yardage LOL!

To fine of a reticle in a hunting rifle can cause problems at dawn and dusk....they tend to disappear.

I believe you can, but what you said it was I was hinting at.
I've been dying to go ground hog hunting. That would be a blast, I might have to stop by Pappy.:p

Pappy
09-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Tons of them here but its so hard to get permission....so many houses have been built here and there the farmers are worried. They shut our public gun range down due to bullets striking houses in the bottomland and that news scared alot of folks.

I use a 22 mag or just a 22 LR most of the time so people dont get worked up. Sucks to because I have a sweet Remington 700 in 223 that gets a hard on for ground hogs LMAO! It gets a workout from time to time during teh week when everyone is at work:devil:

ZeroLogic
09-23-2010, 05:56 AM
:blah:
I guess we are lucky up here. I got around six ranges within hour and a half of me.:p

What model 700 do you have? I had the SPS in .223, replaced the stock glassed and pillared it. Shoots like a charm now. :macho

Pappy
09-23-2010, 11:49 AM
I have a heavy fluted barrel 700 Sendero. I worked teh trigger and it will place 5 rounds in a ragged hole at 200 yards if I do my part with my handloads. I have verified kills at 600 yards on groundhogs...if you cant hit them with this set up then you need help haha!

I had a matching 300 Ultra mag, should have never sold it. It is on my list to purchase again. At 500 yards it laid the deer down:p

If you cant tell, I love long range stuff but since moving here I havent had the chances I did in MD which doesnt make much sense. Farmland versus mountains. They set me up on a ridge last year to cover it for bear...shots easily to 1000 yards (I would never try a shot like that on a game anaimal) but if a coyote would have come out I was gonna see if i still had it:D

Dirtjunkie85
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I ended up buying the new VX-3 CDS it's the 3.5-10X40. I was told i would be fine with the 3.5-10 so hopefully thats the case. It should see farther than my 270 can shoot accurately and i'm anxious to try the CDS out. I guess you just range it and set the dial to the correct range and shoot and the scope supposedly adjusts to the drop of the bullet over that range.