PDA

View Full Version : new axle and carrier bearing Q's

brian76708
09-21-2010, 07:39 PM
do i need to get a new axle nut and lock nut? I am not seeing how they will come off. Got them loose but it seems they wont be able to slip off to the right of the axle because its hung up where the threads end. axle is not out just was thinking about this because was planning on finishing it tomorrow.

ctdiesel99
09-21-2010, 09:40 PM
you need to turn the big nut on the right in toward the rotor onto the threaded sleeve. you will then see a c clip on the axle that holds the nut operation in place. pry that clip out of the groove and slide it to the right. then you will be able to slide the nut and threaded sleeve off of the axle.

brian76708
09-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ctdiesel99
you need to turn the big nut on the right in toward the rotor onto the threaded sleeve. you will then see a c clip on the axle that holds the nut operation in place. pry that clip out of the groove and slide it to the right. then you will be able to slide the nut and threaded sleeve off of the axle.

i got the clip off already guess i just need to use some force. Thanks

Zeb400EX
09-22-2010, 02:06 AM
When you put it all back together put some grease on the spines where the nut and brake rotor hub contact the axle. They will come off a lot easier next time. Also if your going to reuse the stock axle nut put some blue lock tight on the threads and tighten the heck out of the nut. I usually have someone sit on the quad and hold the back brake so I can tighten up the nut real good.

trailrider894
09-22-2010, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Zeb400EX
When you put it all back together put some grease on the spines where the nut and brake rotor hub contact the axle. They will come off a lot easier next time. Also if your going to reuse the stock axle nut put some blue lock tight on the threads and tighten the heck out of the nut. I usually have someone sit on the quad and hold the back brake so I can tighten up the nut real good.

Please do not tighten the heck out of it, this could potentially destroy your new bearings. When it is tightened down to much, it is going to cause un-wanted wear and tear on your carrier and bearing components. There is a torque spec for everything. Look it up if you have a service manual and tighten to the specified torque spec.

brian76708
09-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Please do not tighten the heck out of it, this could potentially destroy your new bearings. When it is tightened down to much, it is going to cause un-wanted wear and tear on your carrier and bearing components. There is a torque spec for everything. Look it up if you have a service manual and tighten to the specified torque spec.

yea i seen that the carrier had a warning about this, in the package. but there is not really a way to torque them to spec with a pipe wrench but ill make a guess.

CJM
09-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Gotta buy the axle wrenches at a place like rocky mtn, then you use a torque wrench on them as they have slots for a ratchet to go into.

Personally it never failed me to make them tight by hand. Never had an issue.

Zeb400EX
09-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Torque spec. are from a honda service manual.
Inner nut 94ft-lbs (128 Nm)
Outer nut 65ft-lbs (88 Nm)

You can try and torque them to spec. But last time I try it the axle nuts came lose in less than 10min.

tbrackman84
09-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I use the axle wrenches fro rocky mountain atv made by g force with a breaker bar and just tighten the hell out of them lol, mine always come loose, i pput duct tape on them too to keep them from breaking loose.

Zeb400EX
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by tbrackman84
I use the axle wrenches fro rocky mountain atv made by g force with a breaker bar and just tighten the hell out of them lol, mine always come loose, i pput duct tape on them too to keep them from breaking loose.

Yeah those wrenches are well worth the money. I use some black electrical tape on them once. It seem to help keep the tight for longer. Have to try the duck tape next.