PDA

View Full Version : Chains

J.B.
09-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Can anyone recommend a pretty good chain for my R? Sprockets appear ok. I dont need top of the line, but i am willing to pay a little more for quality.

I let someone ride my bike that i should not have and now my chain is wedged between my front sproket and swingarm bolt. I plan on surgically extracting it.

Riding is primarily woods, dirt roads and sand pits...

Thanks.

86 Quad R
09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
for the money i like the DID non o-ring chain. i typically get at least three years out of one with good maintanance. :cool:

J.B.
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Interesting. Why the non-oring?

86 Quad R
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by J.B.
Interesting. Why the non-oring?

as a frequent creek rider the sand/water combo churning back there tends to chew up the o-rings and tosses 'em. besides the o-ringed chains are twice the cost w/as strong a tensil strength and with good maintanance the orings arent really needed.:cool:

atvmxr
09-21-2010, 01:15 PM
pretty much any RK, DID, etc. chain will be good. I always use O or Xring chains, but I do zero creek riding.

heard both sides of the o-ring vs. non o-ring for creek riding. 3 years of use sounds good to me!

muddymess
09-21-2010, 02:12 PM
i had an DID x-ring chain and the rings where gone the first mud race. It still lasted a long time though.

Primary drive is junk. I got one of there sprocket and chain kits and it it broke after one race.

J.B.
09-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I was just looking at the DID XRing... Never really hit any water or mud. Got any recommendations Muddy for a brand to look at?

muddymess
09-21-2010, 02:53 PM
i like DID. its held up under a lot of abuse from me. Iv snapped my skid plate off twice. One race i had it banging up against the chain for 2 hours and it tour the heck out of the guard but the chain still held up for 9 more races. This is even after i tour all the orings out.

Dirtjunkie85
09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah i run a DID and it was only 100 bucks which isn't bad. It's an o-ring and i only had to adjust it once after it stretches the first time right after you put it on but after that it stays put and i would highly recomend the o or x ring chains especially if you dont hit the mud much. They hold up very good and will last you forever. I have only heard good of D.I.D and i've never personally had a problem with them. The non O- ring chains stretch and keep stretching to the point where it has to be rerplaced. I would never buy one again.
My .02

09-22-2010, 02:45 PM
Some will say o-ring chains rob HP, some will tell you non o-ring chains are faster…possibly on very small displacement engines, below 15 HP you may notice a difference, however; on larger engines of 250CC on up, ½ HP loss is hardly noticeable.

O-ring chains are slightly heavier mostly due to the longer pins…

D Bergstrom
09-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by muddymess
Primary drive is junk. I got one of there sprocket and chain kits and it it broke after one race.

I am running the Primary Drive x-ring chain on one of my 450R's and my 250R. They have held up just as good as the DID x-ring on my race 450R. Years ago, I did try a Primary Drive non o-ring chain, now that thing was junk, would stretch after every ride. No problem with the x-ring chains though. Of course, I am out in the desert, no mud to speak of, and if it is going to be muddy, I stay home!

Doug

muddymess
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
mine was o-ring also. it split at one of the pivots and i just happen to see it when i was tightening up my shifter. Had to bust it apart with a pipe and chisel 10 min before race. That one didn't last long enough to get muddy.

Probably a hit and miss kind of thing but im not taking the chance. With my luck it would snap 4 miles into the woods.

hartwill
09-23-2010, 11:54 AM
d.I.d x ring quad chain I got mine from hmf for $70 thats hard to beat. you should replace your sprockets every time you replace your chain or everything will wear out much faster. but you can't beat that chain for the money.

twopump78
09-23-2010, 05:41 PM
i have a sidewinder and love it never had any problems nor do i have to adjust it. I do have matching sprockets also... It's a non Oring

89trx250r
09-23-2010, 05:46 PM
ive read sidewinder sprockets and chains are quite good and they have some sort of warranty against breakage i think lifetime warranty against sprockets breaking

CODY_M11
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I thought I read I'm DW it was a life time warranty for sprocket wear. LIke the company guaranteed they wouldn't wear.

89trx250r
09-23-2010, 11:26 PM
well hell if they dont wear how the hell would it ever break haha go check there site out they use some sort of titanium and there having a sale atm on a self lubing oring chain that doesnt stretch and the ti 2 sprockets