PDA

View Full Version : Web 208

mikeasmith_75
09-21-2010, 06:26 AM
My bike is an 08 er. Right now I am running a HC2 with a rage ported head,Dasa pipe and intake, and a 42.5 fcr. I am thinking of switching to a web 208 for more top end because I mostly ride in the dunes, but I occasionally do some trail riding also. Will the 208 totally kill the bottom for trail riding or will it be ok?

DnB_racing
09-21-2010, 07:15 AM
the steep ramp rates surely make power.... but at a BIG cost to reliability and longevity....
when running web cams..... you will become very familiar with your clearance settings...since the steep ramp rates will be pounding your valvetrain clearances out of adjustment regularly....

you should also, clay check your valve to piston clearances before even deciding to run one.....

and... use recommended springs that can handle the ramp loadings the webs produce...and check spring pressure regularly and replace springs as needed....

WEB even states a disclaimer on the use of their cams in Honda 450 engines....blaming Honda for the valvetrain problems when using their cams....

there are PLENTY of places to get power out of your engine.... and harsh valvetrain velocities are the LAST place i would resort to....

Ruf Racing
09-21-2010, 07:45 AM
I agree! Rider beware!

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/450R%20Pics%20Parts/c8d4832a.jpg

mikeasmith_75
09-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there's not too many web fans around here. I knew they were rough on the valvetrain, but dang! What caused the failure in the pics? How many hours did you run the cam before the destruction? Thanks

Ruf Racing
09-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I was running a 493/729 grind. All new head components, not even 10hrs. ride time. :( The valves kissed the piston. :devious:

desratt
09-21-2010, 04:10 PM
web cams has a million different grinds... they have a lot of drop in cams that are totally reliable.. the more radical cams you need to know what you are doing..

I run a web cam on a stock engine and have got 8 out of 14 worcs holeshots this season