PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun selection

dns1764
09-21-2010, 05:54 AM
I am looking to buy my first shotgun on Friday, but I need some help. As of right now I am looking at the Stoeger P-350 Pump for $430, the Remington Model 870 Express Super Mag Turkey/Waterfowl for $430, and the Mossberg 500 Field for $422.

I like the 26" barrel. I will use it mostly for skeet and duck hunting. Any input/suggestions will be greatly apprecited.

Pappy
09-21-2010, 08:20 AM
I prefer the Remington, but either will work well. 28 or 30" barrell will throw a better pattern for them birds....

fastredrider44
09-21-2010, 09:41 AM
The 870 is proven gun.

slightlybent47
09-21-2010, 09:55 AM
I’m with you pappy. I like my 1100 20ga. And my 1100 12ga. Both shoot well and never jam. My 1100 12ga. is has an extended mag, but a short barrel for defense. But my 1100 20ga. Has a adjustable choke that you can dial in on the fly witch is nice.
There a little more money but well worth it.

ben300
09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I’m with you pappy. I like my 1100 20ga. And my 1100 12ga. Both shoot well and never jam. My 1100 12ga. is has an extended mag, but a short barrel for defense. But my 1100 20ga. Has a adjustable choke that you can dial in on the fly witch is nice.
There a little more money but well worth it.

however, unless you buy and 1100 G3, you cannot buy an 1100 in anything over 2 3/4" chamber... that will do you no good for unting unless your doing some field hunting. 1100's also, if you buy them brand new, are super expensive. one of my skeet guns ( personal favorite), my 1100 premier sporting retails for over $1500..and i have seen them as almost as high as $2000 at places like cabelas or bass pro.

personally, if your dead set on spending $400 and buying a pump, i would buy teh 870 super mag. its a super dependable work horse, will shoot anything from 2.75" up to 3.5" i would also buy the guy with a longer barrel, for say the 28" barrel. It'll swing better, and will be better for hunting ducks and geese. also depending on the choke tube, there is no real paterning difference in the length of the barrels. I just prefer a longer barrel.

mossbergs are super cheap have a history of being cheap. stoeger pumps are also cheaper versions of the bennelli nova's and have been known to have a world of problems wiht them.

honestly...if your not dead set on just spending around $400, i would spring for a remington 11-87 sportsman supermag. you can usually find these on sale at places like cabelas for $599. its a really nice gun, and trust me, you'll be way more happy with a semi auto in the long run.

Pappy
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by ben300
It'll swing better, and will be better for hunting ducks and geese. also depending on the choke tube, there is no real paterning difference in the length of the barrels.

mossbergs are super cheap have a history of being cheap.

When you start throwing 3 and 3.5 inch steel or tungsten, barrel length does impact the pattern. Same thing with Turkey loads. Ive got a 870 with a 26 inch barrel that shoots most 3inch steel just fine, but wont Tungsten....but my 30 inch barrel will hammer the Tungsten and Bismuth shot..yes, same choke tubes and ive tried others. My 11-87 is a dismal performer with a 26 inch barrel and steel shot. Thats just MY observations. Alot will be determined by how and what he hunts. On some farms i cant even break feathers on far birds unless im using 3.5 and a 30 inch barrel...could be the sight picture LOL

And the Marine Corps has quite a few Mossberg 500's in service:p Infact, a standard Mossberg has a better and longer lasting finish (barrel and action) then does the Remingtons.

ben300
09-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
When you start throwing 3 and 3.5 inch steel or tungsten, barrel length does impact the pattern. Same thing with Turkey loads. Ive got a 870 with a 26 inch barrel that shoots most 3inch steel just fine, but wont Tungsten....but my 30 inch barrel will hammer the Tungsten and Bismuth shot..yes, same choke tubes and ive tried others. My 11-87 is a dismal performer with a 26 inch barrel and steel shot. Thats just MY observations. Alot will be determined by how and what he hunts. On some farms i cant even break feathers on far birds unless im using 3.5 and a 30 inch barrel...could be the sight picture LOL

And the Marine Corps has quite a few Mossberg 500's in service:p Infact, a standard Mossberg has a better and longer lasting finish (barrel and action) then does the Remingtons.

well im speaking in experience from selling firearms through my families business...

i did not say that mossberg was a bad gun, i have an 835 with a thumbhole for turkey hunting...kicks like a mule on crack....but htey are a low grade, poorly finished gun. they serve their purpose, and do it it well, but it is a cheaply made gun...and so is the 870 express for that matter.... what just helps with them is there has only been 11 million plus sold so there is a wealth of knowledge and parts and knowledge to be had of them.

how ever, i truly disagree about the barrell length making a difference...i have killed just as many geese with a 25 year old 3" 1100 with a 24" barrel as i have with a newer 3.5" 28" barrel 1187...sure the longer barrel does keep a denser pattern longer but is not always so...

there are guys out there that are shooting up to 80 yrds at turkeys with short barrels. they are just using special choke tubes and loads...

and im not here to argue what you have and havent dont and what i have and havent done..i merely just trying to help a fellow fire arms and hunting enthusiast in making a wise, reasonable choice that he will be happy with for a long time to come...

im still saying i would spend a little more and get the semi auto...you'll enjoy it more in the long run

dns, if you lived near PA i would make ya a deal a good deal on a gun but im to far for you to bother with your time.

dns1764
09-21-2010, 06:57 PM
thanks ben. i think its going to come down to what they have in stock when i go to buy it.

Thumpin440ex
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I have had a few diff makes.. From remi -benelli.. I must say I prefer a remi 870 mag or super mag over them all, but it felt the best to me. IMO it is the best bang for the buk. Parts are cheap, so are acc to hop them up.. I think its funny that people spend 1100+ on a shot gun, when a 300 remi can do the same thing. But to each there own.. My vote goes to the remi..

John

ben300
09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by dns1764
thanks ben. i think its going to come down to what they have in stock when i go to buy it.

ya...i think anohter thing too i would look at if i was you is how each gun felt as you should it....

pick up the gun, shoulder it...heck if a buddy has one...ask him to shoot it a bit...

trust me, we can sit here and tell you all day long what you should buy, but honestly, the better a gun fits you personally, the easier it will be to shoot than gun. regardless whether or not your sitting in a corn field in a final approach good blind or your standing on station six at a skeet range..

ben300
09-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
I have had a few diff makes.. From remi -benelli.. I must say I prefer a remi 870 mag or super mag over them all. IMO it is the best bang for the buk. Parts are cheap, so are acc to hop them up.. I think its funny that people spend 1100+ on a shot gun, when a 300 remi can do the same thing. But to each there own.. My vote goes to the remi..

John

agreed, water fowl guns are outrageously priced. you can hit just as good with the 870 as you can an SBE2 or a berretta xplor....

heck ive shot $10k kraighoffs before at the range, and honeslty i hit no better than i do with my citorri or my 1100 premier....its just a different fit and finish

06 Honda 450R
09-21-2010, 07:22 PM
870, so much stuff you can do to them, and its been out there forever with a foolproof design

Pappy
09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
well im speaking in experience from selling firearms through my families business...

I just speak from what ive found in the field. Sounds to me like the guy doesnt want to spend $100 on a specialty choke tube or $60 a box ammo

He wont go wrong with either firearm, but you need to stop contradicting yourself....you might sell a few more firearms for the family LMAO:blah: We agree, just vaary on the way we get to the same conclusion:p

slightlybent47
09-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Ben300 really hit it on the head, everyone is deferent so pick them up and handle them a bit if you can. Since it’s your first shotgun then go with how it feels and stay in your price range. Try the local shooting range and see if they have a club you can join, it’s a lot of fun and you meat great people and learn lots of good tips. I’ve seen guys shoot in clubs with an entry level gun and start to like it and begin shooting well so they go out and buy an expensive gun and then can’t hit the side of a barn with it.lol So price dosn't have anything to do with how well it shoots.

Pappy
09-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Pitch in and buy me this.....you can have my 11-87 haha

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_super_black_eagle_2.php

ben300
09-22-2010, 05:48 AM
Pitch in and buy me this.....you can have my 11-87 haha

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_super_black_eagle_2.php

why buy that, when you can have these...

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=017C&mid=511074

http://www.berettausa.com/products/a391-xtrema2/
http://www.berettausa.com/products/a400-xplor-unico-ko/

http://www.browning.com/products/interactive/firearms/maxus/#onscreen

http://www.remington.com/Pages/Versa-Max.aspx

Pappy
09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
Just personal preference:p

hypersnyper6947
09-22-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
The 870 is proven gun.

x2

I love mine :D

ben300
09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Just personal preference:p

you probably shoot a mathews too dont ya:devil: :blah:

Pappy
09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Yup, kill my limit with it every year:D

ben300
09-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Yup, kill my limit with it every year:D

you gotta watch that koolaid, it goes sour eventually...hahaha

ben300
09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
by the way...what model you got?

im looking at getting somethign new here for hunting. ive traditonally shot hoyts, for well, about forever....i used to tournament shoot, so i have had tons of different hoyts in the past 10 years...

im currently shooting with a trykon xl, but i have developed tendinitis in my elbow of my bow arm and the cams on the bow are way too aggressive on my arm...

so ive been kicking around the idea of getting something that has more speed and a smoother draw cycle...

ive been looking at the bowtec destroyer 340, but word has it that they're coming out with a destroyer 360 now and that pse is coming our wiht a bow cpable of 400fps

Pappy
09-22-2010, 09:34 AM
The specs are more for a salesman then a hunter...I dont worry about the speed, as long as I have a bloody arrow and a good blood trail im happy...the brand never helped me kill a buck or fill the freezer. The DXT I use is set to 53 pounds, and pulls easily when its 5 degrees outside and ive been in a stand for 6 hours. The Matthews replaced a Hoyt that I used for 8 years, it was cheaper to replace it then rebuild it....but it still killed deer.

cletusEX
09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Uh oh, taking advice from a salesman:eek2: Haha jk, I shoot a beat up 870 super mag and a Matthews (it's an oldie MQ1, but still cost a pretty penny). Go with what fits ya the best, whatever is on the other end won't care how much it cost.

And I'm with ya Pap on the SBEII, I've shot a few and there nice, fit me well, but don't know if they can handle what I dish out!:D

Pappy
09-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah thats whats holding me back from buying one and hiding it from the wife.

My $350 870 covered in muck, half submerged in the bottom of my layout boat doesnt bother me, not sure if I could feel the same way with $2400 worth of gun:p

cletusEX
09-22-2010, 07:19 PM

My $350 870 covered in muck, half submerged in the bottom of my layout boat doesnt bother me, not sure if I could feel the same way with $2400 worth of gun:p

$350 you overpaid. haha, I got mine on sale and remington had a rebate, $266! lol! I shoulda bought 3! It's taken a beating in 5 years, mud, saltwater, even had Cory's dog piss on it in the blind (he shoots a Benelli, go figure:p)

When the topic of shotguns comes up and the 870 is in the mix, I'd pick the 870 all day long, as long as it fits and you can work a pump.

Pappy
09-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I was hunting a big cornfield...and wasnt breaking feathers...got pissed and headed to the gun shack. Picked up the super mag and some T shot and an extended choke tube. Took my limit that afternoon:p

Ive killed foxes with it, ducks, deer you name it. I use the 11-87 when the birds are in close and I need a fast swing.

btw..I killed more ducks last year with my O/U LOL

cletusEX
09-22-2010, 07:32 PM
btw..I killed more ducks last year with my O/U LOL

I can't leave the 870 home, afraid I'll hurt her feelings.:p Gotta shoot some snow geese last year in the Conservation season, extended magazine and all. Nothing like pumping through 9 rds at decoying chickens!

Pappy
09-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Its been so long since ive seen a true flock landing on my head I might paddle away LMAO!

ben300
09-22-2010, 07:51 PM

$2400:huh

i didnt know they made platinum plated SBEII...........

but, on the topic of taking it out in the mud...that is one nice thing about the benelli's and there inertia driven systems....they will fire almost all the time, in any condition....

unless you use a heavy coating of rem oil and the temps get below 35...:grr:

cletusEX
09-22-2010, 08:02 PM
unless you use a heavy coating of rem oil and the temps get below 35...:grr:

Yeah my buddies have had some problems in the past with them freezing up when it gets below freezing, when the duck hunting gets good here in MD. Mainly the return spring that runs back into the stock (guess that's the name for it). Basically turns them into a single shot. Started shooting them almost dry of oil but with wet dogs and hunting out of a boat, moisture finds a way in there.

Pappy
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Havent had the main spring issue, but I had a firing pin freeze on me last year. I couldnt resist hunting in freezing rain LOL..I was nice and dry but everything else sure was soaked! Snapped the bolt handle off my 06 last season as well....it wasnt a good year for remingtons here.

$2400 was sugg. retail, I think I can get one for $1450

Still way to much for this hick hunter to beat on!

Nick, did cory ever finish his boat?

tbrackman84
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
can't go wrong with the 870, great guns i have a 20 ga youth from years ago now i use a 12 ga express mag, and i have a mossberg turkey tactical :D

Pappy
09-22-2010, 08:19 PM
That 20 Ga youth is what i have in my hands more often then not...especially rabbit huntin:bandit: Killed a fair amount of doves this year with it as well!

cletusEX
09-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Yeah the boats been done for a few years he was just modifying it when you were down last, so in reality it won't ever be done. lol He just turned his backyard into a 2 acre pond with the ability to flood 2.5 acres of crops, so the boat might not get a lot of use. Talked to him today and a good set of wadders is all he's worried about now!

Pappy
09-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I was hoping the logging here would be done and I could get the dozer to work on a pond.....its time for teh woodies to start showing up...sure would be nice to walk out back and bust a few!

The farm in Carroll is mainly in corn so no early season there for me, but it should be good during the late season. If the rivers stay low here, I should do good on them as long as they dont freeze over or run high. We hunted them last year when it was too dangerous for a dog and you literally had to chase the birds down with the boat to retrieve them! Last 2 years has been like cheating death hunting them. Its times like these that i miss the eastern shore:p

ben300
09-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Havent had the main spring issue, but I had a firing pin freeze on me last year. I couldnt resist hunting in freezing rain LOL..I was nice and dry but everything else sure was soaked! Snapped the bolt handle off my 06 last season as well....it wasnt a good year for remingtons here.

$2400 was sugg. retail, I think I can get one for $1450

Still way to much for this hick hunter to beat on!

ive never heard of one costing $2400...who ever is asking that is asinine....most places retail between $1400-1600..

and having the bolt break off of you rem is crazy too..i can honestly say in all my experience and people i have talked to, that that has never happend.....you must have had a metallurgical problem....