PDA

View Full Version : 05' 440 not putting power to ground! hElP!!!!

Cfred
09-20-2010, 10:10 PM
mods listed below

*not sure on the jetting

The other day i took it on its 2nd long ride since having it rebuilt. Raced an 07' 400ex w/ jet kit, slip-on, k&N thats it and he beat me by 2 lengths!!! ALSO, i looked down and my head gasket is leaking!!! should this be happening only about 7 hours after re build????

ALSO, i think my clutch is bad and it soulds like it grinds when in neutral. could a bad clutch be effecting my power to ground output???

could i maybe re-torque the head bolts???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Whit11b
09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Is it pulling smooth? If it's not jetted properly it will bog or stumble under load.

With the 440 kits head studs is definitely the way to go. I've helped my friend with the head gasket on his a couple times. He never got more that 5 hours before it started leaking. GT Thunder is probably the best bet. Never heard anything bad on them anyways.HERE (http://www.gtthunder.com/TRX400EX.htm)

Yes a worn/damaged/out of adjustment clutch can slip. If that's the case check the cable and make sure it has a bit of play in the clutch lever. If the cable is ok pull the clutch out and check it for damage. If it is making noise the plates might be coming apart or could be badly worn.

Pick up a service manual if you don't have one. They can be handy to have around sometimes. Personally I always liked having a hard copy around the garage.

Cfred
09-21-2010, 09:00 AM
awesome ya im gonna go ahead and get those head studs and a new clutch hope it works..

ya it pulls smooth its like after half throttle it feels and sounds really fast but it doesnt pick up speed like it feeels it should be....

Whit11b
09-21-2010, 09:06 AM
Sounds like the clutch is shot. I can't really offer much suggestion on which way to go. I used OEM parts on a couple I've done and haven't had any problems. Maybe some of the guys here can give you some suggestions on aftermarket clutches.

Cfred
09-21-2010, 10:59 AM
does anyone have any info on the tusk clutch w/ HD springs????

good for my kind of power?

hellshot00
09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I havnt heard one bad thing about tusks clutch kits at all but thats about all i can tell you

JOHNDOE83
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
My HD tusk kit has lasted over 5 years, with regular car motor oil, and is drag raced on a regular basis and still doesnt slip.

I like the tusk clutch, try jetting it a lil bigger after the clutch kit and see if it helps at all. My 440 uses a 220 or 215 main jet depending on weather conditions.

Cfred
09-21-2010, 02:57 PM
sweet, Tusk clutch it is....

ya im takin it to the shop this weekend see if i can just re torque the head bolts.... i have 11:1 compression idk if its pulling the threads on the bolts just seems kinda odd...

just wondering is anyone interested in buying this or trading???