PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a truck

HPI_Savage25
09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok so I am 17, I have been driving between a 88 s10 blazer and a 95 tahoe, then my dad's 97 F150...

I do lawn care a lot and between always needing to pull our trailer (7x16ft enclosed, double axle) and then using the truck for the quad I am always wishing I had a truck and not have to use my dad's or he has it and I can't...

Must Haves:
* Chevrolet
* 4wd
* Ext Cab

I would love to get a Duramax but that just depends....

Anyways also trying to stay around $8000.....think that's doable?

Anything I need to know about these trucks or what to look for?

Scro
09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
You will be hard pressed to find a Duramax for just $8000. But, you could probably get a nice 2000-2003 gas burner for that price. The 5.3 motors have plenty of power.

HPI_Savage25
09-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Yeah I can settle for gas burner but having a D-Max would just put the icing on the cake...Or i might just save up a bit longer and get the D-max anyways.

I do know I will end up lifting it and getting some 35's or maybe even bigger depending on funds.

Just trying to find one, look at a few, and see what I need to look at for what could need replacing.

Tommy Warren
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by HPI_Savage25

Must Haves:
* Chevrolet
* 4wd
* Ext Cab

I think you pretty much narrowed it down....looks like your getting and extended cab 4X4 chev...

CJM
09-20-2010, 07:59 PM
6.0 2500HD fits bill. Could do 1500, but I always believe in getting a heavier duty truck than needed just incase.

99+ has the nicer 2500 models.

Dont expect much for 8k, most I see are 10k and have 100k miles.

Rearend tends to go on them, im not sure what whines (besides the rear), but they all tend to-some louder than others. Engines sometimes tap like crazy,

Personally although the 5.4L V8 isnt all that great, the F series imho is a better built truck. SFA, heavier truck overall, better 4wd system. But just my opinion.

FWIW Im a mechanic btw and I specialize in rwd cars and 4wd trucks/suspensions.

HPI_Savage25
09-20-2010, 08:17 PM
What kind of miles are people getting before it needs to be rebuilt?

Most trucks around here are having 180-200k miles on them....

CJM
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I often dont see rebuilt ones anymore, usually go off to the yard or people keep them. if they must do a new motor either they buy a slightly used one or a rebuilt one from jasper, chevy, etc. Less miles on the vehicle the better0rubber bushings tend to wear out, fuel pumps die, wiring corrodes, etc with more miles.

HOWEVER I will say I have worked on plenty of trucks run for a long time. Generally its fords lasting the longest, I know a guy who has 3 of the work vans and one has close to 300k and runs pretty dang good, I drove a 92 f250 and sold it with 180k.

I just feel ford holds it value better, there some kinda work biz tend to use a ford.

if your a diehard for a chevy, try to find one with 100k or so and enjoy it. Its your first real car and like I tell everyone-your gonna bash and crash it sooner or later. Ive also done towing for years and it NEVER fails-you kid with vehicle will almost always crash it, like 90% chance.

Sorry for preaching..

Find a clean 2500 HD model, they are built better imho and the parts are more heavy duty and last longer. Check the engine over, listen for it to make loud tapping noises, smell the trans dipstick-it smells burnt fluids not been changed ever or in some time and dont change it now, check for play in the front wheels, etc, etc.

Im sure you will be fine.

HPI_Savage25
09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
Well I will say that I have been lucky so far. Accident free and have had my license for over a year....

I guess I expect a lot from a Chevy because my Blazer is an 88 and we have had it since new. Trans was rebuilt around 120k and it's been running awesome since....original engine...

Tahoe is a 95 and it has 135k with original trans....

Kickstarts-suck
09-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
I think you pretty much narrowed it down....looks like your getting and extended cab 4X4 chev...

Exactly :huh

HPI_Savage25
09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Yes but I was mainly asking if I needed to stay away from certain years, ones with certain motors or transmissions and such..

sexysilverado45
09-20-2010, 10:14 PM
you cant go wrong with the 99-02 body style chevy pickup. but i would say ford chevy dodge keep the lift kit at a minimum, also keep the tires at a reasonable size. iv had a 99 with a 5.3l that had a 6inch lift and 35's it had 180k when i sold it with original motor and trans, and i mudded that thing almost weekley. sure it was nice(lift kit, and tires) but just in general harder on everything(mpg,front ends,balljoints,rearends,transmissions,ect goes for any truck)

currently i own a 2002 with the 5.3, but it only has a leveling kit with overload spring in the back, 285's, and 3:11's in the rear. i get way more complements on it then i did on my other pickup.(what im saying is it doesn't have to be jacked up to be cool, clean and simple is also good looking)over all it gets way better gas mileage i drive 1hr and 15min to school everyother day and get almost 20 miles to the gallon, pulling at 12ft enclosed trailer i get almost 17 on the highway.

also the ls interior is nice but my 2002 is the lt and it is like a cadillac. leater heated seats, heated mirrors, sweet center console, ect.

just my experience with them.

o and the 6.0 is nice especially with the 4l80e tranny but the gas mileage isn't the greatest.

TCracin440ex
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
i have been on the duramax hunt forever, the best price ive found on a dmax is about 10k with 200k plus miles. and me personally even tho its a diesel i cant see spending 10 grand on a vehicle with that many miles.

i do however have experience with the 5.3 and the 5.7l vortec. trust me stay away from the 96-98 model 350 vortec. i had nothing but problems out of my 350 vortech. the intake manifolds are famous for shifting causing a coolant leak. i also had problems with water pumps in that truck too

my 2000 5.3 i had i absoultely loved. i just recently sold my truck with 147k on the ticker and she still had plenty of life left on her, the only reason i sold it is because my girlfriend is pregnant with my first child and it was lifted 9 inches with a 6 suspension, 3 body and i had 36x13.50 on 20 inch wheels on it. the 5.3 motor is rather tough and will take tons of abuse. altho the rearends are complete junk. the best way to fix the weak rearends in them are to get rid of the pos G80 locker and get a detroit tru trac or a good LSD. i did have my transmission rebuilt but the more lift, tire etc you add to the truck the more strain you put on the trans. the only really minor things i replaced on my 2000 model was the starter and alternator and fuel pump which was to be expected for a 10 year old truck. i did do balljoints and wheelbearings more often because yet again the lift and such

now on that same token i am currently driving a 2002 reg cab silverado with the 5.3 motor in it and it has 207k on the truck. it doesnt smoke or knock the truck is as stock as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. we have put 1 fuel pump in the truck and this truck still runs like a champ with stock balljoints, stock u joints, stock cv joints everything factory from gm. i imagine the tranny will be due up an overhaul before to long, but what more can you expect with 207k on the ticker.

both 5.3s ive had my experience with they are great motors, run good, the easy fix to the rearend problems is to ditch the g80 factory locker and get an aftermarket unit, and well when the trans goes it goes. rebuilt it and keep going the 5.3 motor is capable of well over 200k miles

here is a pic of my truck i sold, and boy do i miss it.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/007-15.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/009-14.jpg

TCracin440ex
09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
id also like to add that my stepdad does have an 03 duramax, my mother bought it for him a few years back when diesel was like 4.79/gallon and the market for diesels was way down. the truck had 113k on it when she bought it a fully loaded 03 duramax lb7 with an edge power programmer, and thats it. it has everything on the truck except for the sunroof. it has the bose system, onstar, steering wheel controls and that truck is a hoss. and back when diesel was that high she bought the truck for 14,000 otd, now 2 years later the same truck with 145k miles on it would easily sell for anywhere between 17 and 20 grand due to the current market for diesels are insane.

so kiddo if your looking to buy a duramax you better start saving every penny you make because even a high mileage duramax is going to cost a pretty penny.

mineralgrey01gt
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
friendly reminder that the tranny's 4l60e i think is what they are and those like it besides the 4l80e are like paper. They break very very easily. Just remember that if your hauling something and then plan on lifting it etc. Ill be honest with you. I have a 2006 sierra crew cab with the 5.3 and the thing is an absolute turd with the torque management. I dont feel like spending money to get it retuned so it will be taken off but definitely get a tune on it to wake it up. Ive rode in a stock one (mine) and my friends with just a tune and intake (which intake didnt really do anything) and it woke it up pretty decent

TCracin440ex
09-20-2010, 11:33 PM
the trans in the nbs 99-up are not a 4l60e they are a 4l65e which differs slighly from the obs 96-98 4l60e

i never had any problems with torque management. mineral sounds like you need a tuner. go with a blackbear tune.

my truck was stock tune with 4.10 gears, intake, and straight piped and it pulled very hard even when i had 37s on my rig

your truck also might be undergeared too. what gear ratio you got in the truck?

mineralgrey01gt
09-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
the trans in the nbs 99-up are not a 4l60e they are a 4l65e which differs slighly from the obs 96-98 4l60e

i never had any problems with torque management. mineral sounds like you need a tuner. go with a blackbear tune.

my truck was stock tune with 4.10 gears, intake, and straight piped and it pulled very hard even when i had 37s on my rig

your truck also might be undergeared too. what gear ratio you got in the truck?

i know i need a tune. I dont have one and dont plan on wasting money on it right now when id like to cam it. I have friends with the same tranny I have in my truck that busted theirs easily just daily driving it. I have no clue what gears I have, never looked. I just bought the truck on impulse and now am regretting it. I wanted to get another mustang but thought my insurance was gonna go up after my $25K in damage wreck i caused so i got this

sexysilverado45
09-21-2010, 03:54 PM
No I'm pretty sure its a 4l60e when I last checked it out on alldata

Best way to keep the tyranny good is to keep it from shifting. And when pulling a trailer make sure you keep it in third.

TCracin440ex
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
No I'm pretty sure its a 4l60e when I last checked it out on alldata

Best way to keep the tyranny good is to keep it from shifting. And when pulling a trailer make sure you keep it in third.

its a 4l65e and you can tow with these trucks in tow haul mode and put it in od because tow haul actually changes the shift points of the trans so it aint constant jumping from od back into 3rd

mineral a good cam aint going to do you any good unless you get a stall converter for the tranny unless you are going to do a small cam then it really aint worth it.

you can also find out what gears you have by looking in your glovebox GT4 is 3.73 and GT5 is 4.10. GU6 is 3.42s

idk how your friends busted a tranny out daily driving like i said i have an 02 rcsb at the moment and it has 207k on the stock trans. and this truck has towed a 19ft boat for 2 summers, and half a summer with a 26ft boat. truck has also towed several trailers and fairly heavy loads. and ill be the first to admit im not the easiest person on equipment. ill feed a little speed to my ride every now and then.

HPI_Savage25
09-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Wow that was a nice truck...

Anyways as I said a Diesel isn't a must have...but if I can find one in my price range without too many miles I would love to get one.

For towing I mainly just tow a 16ft enclosed, double axle (with brakes on both)...Lawn equipment and then the fourwheelers when we go racing/riding.

KBB for a 2000 is right at 8k so if I can do close to that then I think I will do alright....will be much better than my blazer, which isn't bad but it isn't a truck either. I just love the 18mpg and the 4.3 :D

TCracin440ex
09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
yea the kbb value of a nbs 99-02 is right arround the 8k range but ive been searching for another 99-02 not lifted and they are selling for high *** prices. ive seen a 2000 model with 150k miles sellin for 9 and 10k. the demand for these trucks are high as hell. i was talking to a lil car sales guy and he said the market for the 99 and up with the 5.3 motor is insane. they are sellin for 2000 dollars or more over the bb value.

and to prove thats true i sold my 2k model with everything on it for 12k and the bb value of the truck was only 8500 in exc. condition

mineralgrey01gt
09-21-2010, 06:52 PM
if i cam it itll have a stall, long tubes, mid pipe, different muffler, heads, etc. I seriously doubt it would happen thats why im not putting any money into this thing in that department.

FYI I paid $13,000 out the door my crew cab with 103,000 miles on it. Its a SLE packaged sierra

TCracin440ex
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
i want the lt package with all the goodies

but if you put all that stuff on the truck it will run like a raped ape.

mineralgrey01gt
09-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i want the lt package with all the goodies

but if you put all that stuff on the truck it will run like a raped ape.

if it was a single cab swb, it would have been done by now. As soon as the work force picks up around here im getting another mustang (03/04 cobra) so thats another reason why im putting off doing it

muddy400EX
09-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CJM

I just feel ford holds it value better, there some kinda work biz tend to use a ford.

thats wierd you say that, when i was searching for trucks (always chevy/gmc) i decided to look at fords, and they were goin for so much cheaper it was insane. fords would be newer, less miles and still be cheaper than the chevys i was lookin at

it almost made me think of gettin a ford (almost):eek:

CJM
09-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
thats wierd you say that, when i was searching for trucks (always chevy/gmc) i decided to look at fords, and they were goin for so much cheaper it was insane. fords would be newer, less miles and still be cheaper than the chevys i was lookin at

it almost made me think of gettin a ford (almost):eek:

I have not a clue why they would be cheaper, here fords are more money. I cant find a decent used F150 for under 10k unless its a 2wd work truck, hell I was even looking for 10 year old trucks too and still nada. I can however find numerous-newer chevys with every option for 8-12k with ease.

having worked on both for many years I just prefer the fords, chevy STILL uses a weak frontend on a supposedly HD truck. Yea sure it rides nicer...but the bushings inthose wishbone arms fail eventually..a SFA not much can fail and its much stronger.

Both have thier merits, I will say that I have no clue where chevy gets some of its ratings (towing/capacity) from, the 6.0 is much more powerfull than the last gen v8 triton 5.4L, but I loaded a chevy up to the hilt and MAN it felt it, Ford...drove like usual.

Like I keep saying over and over and over: anyone who has a biz I see uses a ford, very few chevys..why is that ya think?

But really, it aint a bad truck for the money so long as it isnt dodge.

sexysilverado45
09-22-2010, 10:26 PM
heres an interesting tid bit i think iv picked up on just kinda goofing off looking for a diesel pick up and back before i bought my 2002 chevy.

i first started looking for a chevy because they were reasonable after a month they were sky high, fords were way cheaper, then about a month later they went back down and fords were right at or just a hair higher for the same year and close to the same miles

now get on ebay and check out ebay look at both the duramaxes and the powerstrokes they are both the same price or the fords are a little higher, wait about a week or 2 and the fords will be about 5k less.

just a little something iv noticed. I think people are just looking for a truck in general and people start buying fords because chevys are more then after a month the demand for fords go up and chevy goes down and they equal out

fastredrider44
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Back to the original question, I believe the 2001 and 2002 model Chevy's don't have as bad of a rust problem as the 99 and 00 models. They have a little better insulation in the rockers that doesn't hold moisture as bad. The 5.3 is a good motor, and gets much much much better mileage than the 6.0. The 5.3 is also capable of pretty good mpg if you keep your foot out of it. A GMC is an added bonus so don't overlook them.