PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Bearing carrier came in the mail, and had this metal rod with it in the box. What is it, and what do i use it for?

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:06 PM
this.....

honda400ex2003
09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
possibly to adjust the chain tension once it is in. you would put it in the carrier to spin it in the axle. looks like it would fit in the stock one, why not an aftermarket one lol. that is my guess. are there holes in the adjuster area on the left side of it? lol, steve

dalejiw25
09-20-2010, 03:08 PM
That's your chain tightener.

416racer
09-20-2010, 03:09 PM
do you have a pic of the carrier? that might be what you use to tighten the chain. there is slots on one side that the rod probably fits in.

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:25 PM
pics of the carrier. I honestly have NO CLUE as to how to tighten/adjust the chain. so if you all could explain to me how to do so, i'd GREATLY appreciate it.

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:26 PM

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:26 PM

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:27 PM

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
sorry i'm a picture whore

honda400ex2003
09-20-2010, 03:38 PM
that thing is sweet thats for sure! i wouldnt even want to put that in my machine it looks too good. lol but the tool goes in the holes on the left side. that is a pretty neat way to do the adjuster. once you get it all together the carrier rotates in the axle to adjust the slack in the chain. that tool will be very handy, it would be nice if there was a decent tool to turn the stock setup. 2 flat head screwdrivers jammed in there works ok but there has to be a honda tool to do it. I guess i have never really looked to see if there is one around. lol steve

honda400ex2003
09-20-2010, 03:41 PM
1. Loosen the 4 Allen bolts on the back of the swingarm

2. Figure out is the chain is too tight or too loose, The suspension must be compressed till the measurement from the axle nut to the top of the sub-frame is 14 inches and then adjust the chain snug at this point.

3. Locate the adjusting holes on the left side of the carrier in between the sprocket and the swingarm.

3. Use a suitable tool (in your case the bar) to rotate the carrier forwards to loosen the chain or to the rear to tighten the chain

4. Adjust the chain to have 1 to 1 1/2 inches of total play

5. Tighten Allen bolts to 16 ft/lbs of torque in following order 1,4,2,3. Bolts are counted left to right (drive chain to brake hub)

steps to adjust chain. steve

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
okay, sorry for being completely ignorant when it comes to this, but: so when i get the carrier in the swing arm, and once the axle is in and i get the chain on, how would rotationg the carrier benefit/help with chain tension? i just keep spinning it around until the chain is tight? How tight does the chain need to be? and i do all of this before i put the brake stay, rotor, and axle nut on, correct?

Btw, i picked up that bearing carrier from a place in bardstown, ky called t and t atv for $119.99 shipped to my door.

ctdiesel99
09-20-2010, 03:43 PM
awesome steve, you were reading my mind. thank you SOOOO much!!!!!

honda400ex2003
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
LOL steve:blah:

416racer
09-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
that thing is sweet thats for sure! i wouldnt even want to put that in my machine it looks too good. lol but the tool goes in the holes on the left side. that is a pretty neat way to do the adjuster. once you get it all together the carrier rotates in the axle to adjust the slack in the chain. that tool will be very handy, it would be nice if there was a decent tool to turn the stock setup. 2 flat head screwdrivers jammed in there works ok but there has to be a honda tool to do it. I guess i have never really looked to see if there is one around. lol steve
The allen wrench that comes with the tool kit fits in the stock carrier just right.

honda400ex2003
09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
good to know, thanks! I dont have my kit anymore but I will see what i can find in the way of the allen in my box anyway. lol thanks, steve

400exbullet
09-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I know this is off topic but I have alway's read reviews in the atv mags appraising the chain adjustment design honda has but when I got my 400ex the chain needed a little adjustment and when I got to looking at the design all I could think was, how is this the best design ever? On my KFX all I had to do was loosen 4 17mm bolts and adjust one 17mm nutt at the back to loosen or tighten the chain. Then retighten the four locking bolts and be done. Only had to use a ratchet. The hondas design requires you to use an allen wrench to loosen four screws and then use your imagination to turn the adjuster on the carrier. Which in my case I use a punch and a malet to tighten or loosen the chain. I don't see how that design is so stellar.

honda400ex2003
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
you have to use a mallet to turn the carrier. :eek2: i have never had it turn that tight before. i think it is a very good design, you with screws when you loosen it up it can get play in it resulting in having it actually loose against the adjuster imo. your kfx was based off of this design. this was the first design, yours may be a bit better, innovation at its finest. steve

ctdiesel99
09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
just a little update, i got the new carrier in at man is it a breeze to adjust the chain. I mean literally takes 2 seconds. pop that tool in the hole and move it however you need to. couldn't be any easier in my mind.

400exbullet
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
you have to use a mallet to turn the carrier. :eek2: i have never had it turn that tight before. i think it is a very good design, you with screws when you loosen it up it can get play in it resulting in having it actually loose against the adjuster imo. your kfx was based off of this design. this was the first design, yours may be a bit better, innovation at its finest. steve

Hmm. That's weird. I've tinkered with the adjuster a couple times since i've tried different sprocket sizes and such on my quad. Neither time has the adjuster been as easy to turn as you described. I know i'm loosening the locking screws enough. Maybe I need to lube the carrier a little or something. It never fails that I have to beat on the adjuster with a punch and malet to make it turn and when it does turn it's not easy.

CJM
09-21-2010, 09:09 PM
Reminds me, I had a quick Q about adjusting.

The manual shows moving about the center of the chain up/down-but it never says if the suspension should be compressed, sitting on the ground (still compressed), up on something so no loads there.

I figured with totally no load so I put it on a jackstand. A guy I know who works on atvs said he adjusts them so when your on it, its pretty tight-any truth to that?

Also, top of chain is where ya measure it, right?

bherriman
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by ctdiesel99
sorry i'm a picture whore

I see one problem with this bearing carrier. The grease fitting is in a terrible place. You would have to take the carrier completely out just to pump in some grease. I've got a RAD twin row carrier and the grease fitting is on the left face of the carrier, makes greasing a breeze just stick the gun through the sprocket and pump away.

bherriman
09-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Also dont forget to re-tighten the big nut for the carrier after a little ride time. All new bearings will loose some preload when they are new.

justen08
09-22-2010, 10:29 AM
That thing is sweet looking. That is a whole lot better adjustment than the stock one. Hey Steve what i done is went to auto zone and got a 6 inch hardened chisel and ground the one end down flat and it works perfect. If ya want ill take a pic and put it on another post.

CJM
09-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I just use a punch or a fat allen key. But the metal is of course soft and does tend to marr.