PDA

View Full Version : 2010 yfz450r fuel pump?

Vampire2800
09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Google is worthless when it comes to trying to buy a fuel pump for my 2010 yfz450r. Does anyone know how much it would cost.

I was riding about a month ago (casual) & it just died. I've tried the tip-over relay deal (take it off, jiggle it, tap on it, lean the bike over from both sides) & still no starty-starty. The little black relay on the back of the battery housing between the battery housing & the tail light clicks when I turn the key on, but the fuel pump doesn't kick on. I tried resetting the tip-over switch by turning the ignition on & off several times real fast with no success. So, it can't be the little black relay aformentioned or the tip-over switch. It must be the fuel pump. Electrical seems good, fuel is good (not that it would matter, it should still kick on), no blown fuses, etc. IT'S PISSING ME OFF!

rcms
09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
what trouble code is flashing? the relay can click and not make internal contact if bad.Try changing the fuel pump relay with the headlight relay up front they are the same part. The fuel pump is not a common problem but we have replaced two relays on our 09 race unit. The check engine light will flash a code to tell you your problem.

greazee_G
09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Is the fuel pump priming when you turn on the key?

If not, take the pump out of the tank and inspect the wires going to it. They uses some pretty loose connectors for them. We had one come in to the shop and thought the pump was bad, ended up being an unhooked wire to the pump ( in the tank )

BakerRacing40
09-21-2010, 01:47 PM
part #18P-13907-00-00
price $305.44

Vampire2800
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
rcms - No trouble code has flashed. All the lights come on, then all but the light on the right go off (Nuetral light). I tried swapping the relay fuse with the light relay fuse & I can tell you that the relay is not the problem. The relay works just fine.

greazee_G - The fuel pump does not prime. I did take the pump out of the tank & reconnected it to the power supply cable. The relay in the back of the bike clicks & the fuel pump clicks only once when the key is turned on.

BakerRacing40 - thanks, where did you find it?

With regards to the pump just clicking once the ignition is turned on, It almost sounds like the pump is froze or locked up or something (to me anyway).

Any other ideas???????

Vampire2800
10-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Ok, found out that it's not a fuel pump issue. It's not a fuse or relay issue. It's an electrical issue. Don't know where the problem is, but it's dedinatley electrical. Anyone else having this problem. The shop said it's weird because once it starts, it will run for as long as you want it to. If it dies, it won't start again & the fuel pump doesn't kick on. Now you know. Any other ideas?

a2000ws6
07-20-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm having the same problem.. ever find out what was wrong?

Vampire2800
07-20-2011, 10:31 PM
It was the fuel pump. I got tired of messing with it so I took it to the dealer. They searched for 4 days & finally narrowed it down to the brushes inside the fuel pump. Mine was barely out of warranty, however, on ALL race bikes (R models) there is a 30-month emissions warranty. Somehow, the fuel pump is part of the emissions system, so it was covered free of charge. I tipped the service guy for his help, too. They really earned ALL of my business from that experience, too. Good luck to you!

a2000ws6
07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks alot for the reply, i was beginning to lose my patience with this thing. everything you wrote up in this thread is EXACTLY what I've experienced with my 450x. My dealer said he couldn't even look at it for 3 weeks so I won't waste my time with them. Looks like I'm on my own but at least I have something else to check. I was out of ideas so Thanks again

Vampire2800
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
3 weeks? Is that where you bought it? Wow, that's a long time. Anyway, see if someone near you has a 2010 450, doesn't matter if it's an R or X. Ask them to temporarily use their fuel pump to verify that's the problem. Stick it in your bike & fire it up. I guarantee that it's the problem. If your symptoms are EXACTLY like mine, that's it. The pump is $305. Very simple to put in. It's one big, white unit that hangs in the fuel tank. I'm sure you know that. Anything else, let me know.....

a2000ws6
07-21-2011, 11:32 AM
No I didn't buy it at my local dealer, they never have any yfz's on the floor just raptors and 350's. I got mine from a guy who worked at the dealership in Lubbock for 4900 with less than an hour of ride time. But my symptoms are just like you described, it just quit one day. And I've messed with everything youve messed with lol. I've already pulled the pump to see if there was a lose wire or something obvious. Ive heard of wires coming off the crappy little connectors in the tank. I wonder if I could rebuild the pump? cuz $305 is rediculous. First I'll call the guy I bought it from since he works at the dealership and maybe he can hook me up.

BakerRacing40
07-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Vampire2800
rcms - No trouble code has flashed. All the lights come on, then all but the light on the right go off (Nuetral light). I tried swapping the relay fuse with the light relay fuse & I can tell you that the relay is not the problem. The relay works just fine.

greazee_G - The fuel pump does not prime. I did take the pump out of the tank & reconnected it to the power supply cable. The relay in the back of the bike clicks & the fuel pump clicks only once when the key is turned on.

BakerRacing40 - thanks, where did you find it?

With regards to the pump just clicking once the ignition is turned on, It almost sounds like the pump is froze or locked up or something (to me anyway).

Any other ideas???????
well i guess i forgot to answer you, sorry about that. lol for oem part look up i just use : http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport