View Full Version : Oil everywhere

A-Town
09-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Bought a new (used 450er) and have a problem. my previous (04-05) 450r after riding I would shut the gas off and stand the bike up to clean or just access the bottom of the quad. My new 06 450er spews oil from the crank case vent hose and covers my air filter and spills all over the floor. Whats wrong? Am I missing a Check valve of some sort or is this normal. I believe it is originating from the vent hose on the engine side (left side of case).

400exfirebrethr
09-20-2010, 06:40 PM
thats normal for it to drain oil like that because almost everything that i 've stood on end like that drips oil from the crank case vent hose including my 08 450r

A-Town
09-20-2010, 06:48 PM
My 04 never did that. Just seems like some sort of check valve would be there to stop all that oil from leaking everywhere.

scrappy3
09-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I stand my 05 and my son's 06 on the grab bar to wash them and they never leak any oil. If we forget to cut the gas off they will leak gas into the air filter, but never oil.

A-Town
09-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Nobody knows why it leaks oil?

rollie
09-21-2010, 09:51 PM
the oil return line that comes off the valve cover and goes into the crankcase, and also into the air box via a T, isn't routed in the way it was from the factory, i always stood mine up on the grab bar to wash it but the oil return line burned on my exhaust and i sucked some sand it, instead of chancing it again i ran it differently so its not near the exhaust, now if i put it on the grab bar it leaks, but no big deal for me, grab a milk crate and put it up in its side and rest the end of the handlebars on the milk crate! problem solved!!

A-Town
09-22-2010, 06:19 PM
I do know what your talking about and mine does show where it has gotten hot but the oil is actually going through the hose and into my air box soaking my filter and spilling out of the air box. Maybe my local Honda dealer would know.

NeverLiftRacing
09-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Just put it on its side to wash it. It wont leak that way and it takes much less effort to do so also.