PDA

View Full Version : Spacer for variator - length????

ToddL
09-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Hi Guys,
I need to replace the aluminum spacer on the inside part of the variator shaft for our 90. Problem is, having a tough time getting the aluminum one off and it is a little worn. So I wonder if anyone has the length that spacer should be so we can get a steel one made that will last. Will probably just cut one of the steel collars that is in the middle of the variator, but need to know how long to make it.
Thanks a bunch,
Todd

cik orange
09-20-2010, 07:03 AM
you can only go in as far as the splines of the crank will let you (oncs it starts to taper your done unless you do some mods) go to your local hard ware store and get some washers thats what we did

ToddL
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
got a couple shims in it now to line it up, but want to
make a better solution. thanks for the idea - it works for the moment.

Logan #34's Dad
09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Todd. Your answer is in your question Daniel-Son. If what you have in it now works (which after the start you had - it is) then measure the length of the spacer parts you are using. That is the length you'll need for it to be one piece.
signed; Mr. Meogi. :p

ToddL
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
you're killin' me Rocky - I know, I know.....
BUT - I'm not sure I can get the aluminum one off,
as the shaft has a few burs we need to get out.
might have to cut it off, which might mess up a good
measurement. be nice to have the length in hand before
we start cuttin'. Maybe somebody has theirs apart and would
measure it to make me feel better.
:)
Thanks for the props on the start - gotta love them
new tires (thanks Gary!).

Team-Ty
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Well his spacer was worn I had to put a vario steel spacer in it to space it out some. The aluminum one is junk, you can take the aluminum one off and measure that one and add the thickness of the steel spacer to get your number. 3.5 gram rollers seemed to work then ? ;)

BTW: The area where the back plate locates on the crank is pretty shot so a new crank or some real redneck engineering will be needed. Also stay with the brand name belts!

Thanks
Shawn

ToddL
09-20-2010, 10:01 AM
we're gonna work on it, but hopefully will be OK for now.
Just hope to get the aluminum one off to measure.
Thanks again for the help !!!!
the 3.5 seemed ok based on belt travel and Rocky :).