PDA

View Full Version : Should I Slime my rubbers?!

Ridiculous
09-19-2010, 06:00 PM
first off, sorry if i am beating a dead horse here, but i did a search and didn't find what i really was looking for...

anyway, i'm going on a quad trip this weekend, so i was looking over my quad tonight to get it ready. i had a few flat tires when i got it outta the shed (only 3 of the 4 were:rolleyes: ) so i proceeded to get the soapy water and plug kit and prepare to plug some more holes (already have numerous plugs). but most of the holes i found were pin holes, probably from thorns or stickers or something...

any who, i don't wanna plug such small holes, so how do you feel about sliming my tires?

my buddy did his and he said it shakes now at high speed, is this a common problem?

anything else i should know, please throw it in!!

slightlybent47
09-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes the slime will make it shake but that is because most put too much in. even in small amounts it can shake some at high speed. If you have that many holes then you probably need it and because of where your riding. Try just a small amount and see if it seals up, you will need to ride it some with the slime in the tire. It may be with that many holes, the tires may be on there last leg anyway so you may not have any choice. If you ride in places where there are lots of thorns then a heaver tire may be needed.
Good luck and have fun on the ride.

wilkin250r
09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know about you, but I always felt, riding offroad, that slow leaks are just a fact of life.

To me, it's almost as common as filling my gas tank and cleaning my goggles. You fill your tires with air and check the pressure after they've been sitting for a while.

Now, I can't stand it if the tires won't hold air for one outing. If I take my quads to the dunes for a couple days, and I have to fill the tires two or three times a day, THEN I'll fix it. But if they'll hold air for two days, I'm good with it.

If I fixed every pinhole leak, everything that took a week to air down, I'd spend more time plugging and patching than actually riding!

honda400ex2003
09-19-2010, 07:18 PM
im the opposite lol i wont let my tires leak and wont use slime. lol although i dont ride in anything that has real potential to pop tires so i am good. slime would only be a temporary fix imo but it will work to seal them most likely. I have heard to drive it on a road or something if legal to get it spread evenly around the tire and get it heated up enough to warm the slime and make it more viscous for sealing. i am not sure about that though since i have never had experience with it. i say give it a shot and report back. steve

Scro
09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Don't use slime. It will cause the tires to be out of balance, and creates huge mess when you go to replace the tires. They make a tool that comes in most plug kits, that will make the hole big enough to accept a plug. This is your best bet.

slightlybent47
09-19-2010, 07:49 PM
The green slime that I used washed out with just plain water and was easy to clean up. Here is a stick that I picked up on the track one day and I had a set of tires on that had the slime in it. It didn’t go flat.
http://i54.tinypic.com/11v1oau.jpg

CJM
09-19-2010, 08:37 PM
6 ply tires, I have NEVER had a flat. Keeping them inflated very low also helps. Instead of puncturing the tire it wont since the tire has little resistance it rides over it in most cases.

Slime is ok, just dont use to much.

honda400ex2003
09-19-2010, 08:41 PM
tire balls could be an option too if you decide to keep the tires and slime doesnt work. you would not have any more flats with those. just an idea... steve

slightlybent47
09-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I saved the stock tires and wheels and put slime in them and I use them for trails only. For mx I don’t use the slime. Though that stick came from riding mx, so go figure.

Sjorge450R
09-19-2010, 09:41 PM
slime sucks and when you go to change the tires, its gonna be the biggest mess ever. My tires leak air. Every a month when I go to start my quad (I dont ride anymore, just start it up and ride it around the neighborhood) I have to put air in 3 of 4 tires. But you know something. They last with air for the days riding and they dont deflate. Just deal with, or. Get new tires.

10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
SLIME B THE BOMB BAY USE IT IN BICYCLES ME QUA AND MY STREET BIKE CAN STAB A TIRE FULL HOLE TAINT GA FLATT OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

tbrackman84
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
sounds dirty...... lol

Dirtjunkie85
10-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I would not put slime in them mainly because what a huge mess it will cause for you if you mount or whoever does do it. I've done it and it sucks so bad to try and clean up that mess. But i guess if your low on money that might be the way to go. I just hate slime but yeah either way i guess.

trailrider894
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
SLIME B THE BOMB BAY USE IT IN BICYCLES ME QUA AND MY STREET BIKE CAN STAB A TIRE FULL HOLE TAINT GA FLATT OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:huh

Did he just say That The bomb bay uses slime in there bicycles in the quad and that there street bike can stab a tire sized hole in it and taint it so it won't go flatt (with two t's?)

CJM
10-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by trailrider894
:huh

Did he just say That The bomb bay uses slime in there bicycles in the quad and that there street bike can stab a tire sized hole in it and taint it so it won't go flatt (with two t's?)

yes he did, and theres more wonderful posts by him like that. I think they banned him after he basically kept spamming.

honda400ex2003
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
without a moment to spare he looks to be gone :D he made for some tough reading... steve

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
10-07-2010, 03:47 PM
It's not nice to steal people's avatar.

ZSK
10-09-2010, 06:58 AM
I like to use the tubes that have slime in them already. It adds a couple more layers to prevent a flat. I've never noticed a difference in a tubed vs non tubed tire even on an MX track.

slightlybent47
10-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I still say it was an easy clean up when I changed the tires with slime in them. It washed out with plain water and was easy to wash away. just don't use too much and you should be fine.

honda400ex2003
10-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
It's not nice to steal people's avatar.

i would hope that this is not directed at me in hopes that your brain is bigger than i suspect... :rolleyes: just show me who else has the same ava as i do except honda#4.

i have also heard that it is a pretty easy clean up to get it out of the tires. as slightly said just soap and water. I would def try it in a pinch. I was not real impressed with the honda stuff that is like slime. after using the recommended amount for the tire it did not work well until it was ran down blacktop for quite some time to heat up and spread around the whole tire. the slime is supposed to be less viscous than that stuff though so it would probably be better anyway. it will spread much easier which is a good thing. steve

slightlybent47
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
The tires I had the stuff in had a nice 1/8” layer all the way around the inside of the tire.
And I didn’t even need soap for clean up, just plain water. The brand I used was Slime and it is green.