PDA

View Full Version : Red Gas Tank

nwi45
09-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Will a new red gas tank off the stock R's fit on an 05? Wasn't sure what would retrofit.

eastside 400
09-19-2010, 03:44 PM
yes, the tank is still black but it has the red cover.

nwi45
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Right on haha I did not know that. So can you just put the red cover over the 04/05 tank?

desratt
09-19-2010, 04:35 PM
no the 04-07 tanks are 3.2 gal and the new ones are 2.6 gallons..

curryd
09-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by desratt
no the 04-07 tanks are 3.2 gal and the new ones are 2.6 gallons..

Really...I thought the newer colored tanks were different plactic and thats it. Not a cover. I am almost positive they are the same. Have your dealer look up the part number on a black tank on the 05 and then on the 06 or later. If they are the same, then it will work.

Scro
09-19-2010, 07:48 PM
2008 and newer tanks are smaller than 04-07, in order to accommodate the colored plastic cover. The actual tank is still black. The colored plastic can be made to fit on the 04-07 tanks, but it's not a perfect fit. Refer to the FAQ thread, stickied at the top of the section.

curryd
09-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Thats good to know. Not sure why Honda would lower the capacity. 3.2 gallons is great for trail riders or gncc type racing. It would have been real easy to make the tank out of a different color. It blow molded plastic. All they have to do is use a different color plasti pellet. No brainer. What do they think the aftermarket does for the tanks?

Scro
09-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't think the color was the main concern. I'm guessing it had something to do with people complaining about graphics not sticking to the tank. Tank graphics will stay put if applied properly. But most people won't take that extra time to do it right.

DnB_racing
09-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I don't think the color was the main concern. I'm guessing it had something to do with people complaining about graphics not sticking to the tank. Tank graphics will stay put if applied properly. But most people won't take that extra time to do it right. I agree. and along with applying properly, it has to be graphics designed for use on gas tanks, if the graphics dont have the vented slots to allow the gasses that escape through the plastic tank, the sticker will bubble. the slotted ones are needed. all plastic tanks do allow fumes to escape that's why its not recommended to store gas for long in plastic tanks

DEVINF450R
09-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
I agree. and along with applying properly, it has to be graphics designed for use on gas tanks, if the graphics dont have the vented slots to allow the gasses that escape through the plastic tank, the sticker will bubble. the slotted ones are needed. all plastic tanks do allow fumes to escape that's why its not recommended to store gas for long in plastic tanks

it will still discolor the graphic on the older style tanks. the new tanks are like a 2 piece molded tank like the tanks on kfx's yfz's ltr's etc.... and it has threaded insets under where the seat covers for the cover to bolt to. I like the smaller gas tank... keeps the CG lower lol