PDA

View Full Version : slipper sprocket ?s

dethwishwayne
09-18-2010, 11:24 PM
ok i have a 2007 70 and i want to run a slipper sprocket from what i can tell my output shaft isn't threaded, do i need to
install gears from a newer year model or am i missing somthing, also i was wondering what brand you guys suggest i use? my little one is starting to get a little wild i don't want her so start breaking gears if i can prevent it

tntauto1127
09-19-2010, 01:34 PM
We use the Apex slipper. You just take the old sprocket off and put the new slipper sprocket on. When you get one it comes with a new special bolt.

Definitely a good investment if your kids starting to ride hard
We broke 3 sets of gears before I got smart and bought one.

mydirtkids
09-19-2010, 02:36 PM
The initial investment is a little steep, but I think the Wiley slipper from Paul is the way to go. The stock slippers use junk discs that fail. In the long run I would have saved money with the Wiley. A huge difference in quality!

People also swear by the slipper clutch, but I have never tried one (I think they are way overpriced when the wiley does the trick).

Either way, follow the manufacturer guidance in setup and torque settings, and always check the torque setting!

Good luck, it is a wise choice to use the sprocket!

dethwishwayne
09-19-2010, 05:15 PM
thanks for the help guys, now im just trying to figure the carb situation i have a pe20 keihin and i have heard that the 24 is what i should be rinning on the 70 any opinions or thoughts on the subject? what pipe should i run with the 70 the 50 pipe or the 90?

selbygirl
09-19-2010, 06:30 PM
call a dealer on one of our 70s i had a 90 stock pipe and put a power pro pipe on and it made a big diferance with a 24 carb but call a dealer they can help you with a good set up with enny tipe of budget and we use the apex sprockets and never had a problem every time my boy comes off the track i tork the slipper at 105 lbs and i use a silocone spray like sc1 for a chain lube dont want to get oil on the slipper disc s good luck tommy

Hetrick Racing
09-23-2010, 11:16 AM
We have in the past ran the 20, the 22, and the 24, on the 70 if your running a full blown polini or something close you will see some benifit.20 is a very hard carb to beat(it is just easy to work with)
Although on our newest built polini motors we run the 28 so I would recommend like the other gentleman said, call and get some input prior to spending your hard earned.
The 90 pipe is the better between the stock 50 and stock 90 pipe.
I am rather partial to my pipe though

EthansDad
09-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Jesse,

is your cylinder stock or some after market brand? the 20mm is a good carb, we run the 21mm on our mostly stocker 70 and its just happy. if you increase the flow with high end cyclinder, pipe, etc, you will need to match that flow rate with a bigger carb, but the stock stuff just won't run that much better with a bigger carb.

also, on the slipper, I think the torque you set it to matters based on the power of your motor. first, make sure you get a good torque wrench to measure, don't just sock it on tight as you can. on 50s/ low end 70s I like 95ft/lbs and on higher end motors I do 105. the reason being the lower end motors can't make it slip at 105 and break gears (been there, with slipper too tight!)

-EA

nastynotchback1
09-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
Hey Jesse,

is your cylinder stock or some after market brand? the 20mm is a good carb, we run the 21mm on our mostly stocker 70 and its just happy. if you increase the flow with high end cyclinder, pipe, etc, you will need to match that flow rate with a bigger carb, but the stock stuff just won't run that much better with a bigger carb.

also, on the slipper, I think the torque you set it to matters based on the power of your motor. first, make sure you get a good torque wrench to measure, don't just sock it on tight as you can. on 50s/ low end 70s I like 95ft/lbs and on higher end motors I do 105. the reason being the lower end motors can't make it slip at 105 and break gears (been there, with slipper too tight!)

-EA

How do yall hold everything still to put that much torque on it?

EthansDad
09-23-2010, 01:02 PM
hold the rear brake with a death grip and have a torque wrench long enough to be like a breaker bar.

one day, I swear I will hear a chain pop, but not yet! also, if you ever have to do a tranny job, make sure you take that slipper off BEFORE you take the chain off. been there, damn near impossible.

-EA

nastynotchback1
09-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by EthansDad
hold the rear brake with a death grip and have a torque wrench long enough to be like a breaker bar.

one day, I swear I will hear a chain pop, but not yet! also, if you ever have to do a tranny job, make sure you take that slipper off BEFORE you take the chain off. been there, damn near impossible.

-EA

Remove it with a 1/2 air impact?

dethwishwayne
09-23-2010, 02:11 PM
thanks for all the help, i have a good torque wrench, i have a pretty good tool set i was an auto tech before i got bored and joined the army. the cylinder is stock, i was wondering on the stock drr cylinders to they still come with the exhaust port still closed off almost halfway or do they clear that up from the factory now?