PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks on 400ex

yamaha_racer88
09-18-2010, 10:31 AM
will the honda 450r shocks fit on the front of a 2000 400ex??
is the width of the eyes the same..
top and bottom

raykspradlin
09-19-2010, 08:07 AM
the 450r shocks are a great upgrade for the 400ex...you will have to grind on the top of the shocks a little bit for them to slide into the shock mount...the rear shock on a 400ex and a 450r are pretty much the same...not much of an upgrade there...the only thing is that if you run the factory a arms, it's a little stiff riding. But if you have something like +2 a arms, the 450r shocks feel great...either way, they are a big step above the 400 shocks....good luck!!!!

yamaha_racer88
09-20-2010, 04:00 PM
thankss for the info..
the stock shocks just arent what is needed when ur trying to ride hard

BluBeaSSt
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Yes the Stock 400 Shocks suck if you get any kind of air

dirtbagtyler
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
i ran same set up on my 400ex it worked great but the ball joints started to bind and i ened up grenading my left ball joint and the a arm stuck in the ground and i went flippin down a wash in 3rd gear ended up in the hospital for about a week. After that i talked to the guys at iShock and they have +2 arms for really cheap and replacement balls joints. i scored my arms from the stracth and dent list and got a great deal. so if you have to compress your shock to get the mount bolt through the eye its a bad idea. but if so i highly recomend checking out the iShock website.

dustin_j
09-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Good post Tyler. Most people don't realize 450r shocks are too long for 400ex a-arms, but the length can be modified to work correctly. I'm sorry to hear you learned this the hard way.

dirtbagtyler
09-23-2010, 02:59 PM
dustin. i noticed its says your runnin elkas and ive been thinking about purchasing them with my next quad. how do you like them? is their customer service good and how about the adjustments are they all good and easy to set up? thanks

dustin_j
09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
I haven't really asked Elka for any help, other than original build info (which didn't tell me anything). I think there are better shocks available, but the Elkas work better than stock. If you're purchasing a quad with them they can be made to work well, but it takes some time and money (depending on how they were previously setup). Talk to M@ul Tech atv or GT Thunder to make them work well.

dirtbagtyler
09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
yeah i was just looking for after market shocks and didnt really know who i wanted just yet i know ishock is starting to sell like ohlins and elkas and just really didnt know who to go with just yet a buddy of mine has ishocks and he says their customer service is fantastic. he said he purchased them and didnt like them all to much but he talk to the guys at ishock and they got them dialed in perfect and he wont go back to anything else now so i was just curious on how elka is and what they have to offer