PDA

View Full Version : Project Retro Bark Buster

snacob14
09-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, this is the beginning of my xc build. Just bought a bucket of parts of a girl who tore it down to rebuild it. Welp she lost some momentum and here's where we are today. I picked it up pretty right, as long as the rest of the parts show up, so this is the beginning of my step backwards as most 4st guys would say, into building an xc ready 250r. You can see my old xc bike in the background. its for sale $2400 bucks w/o Hipers.

Got a puma gusset kit bent stem, Summit front bumper and some new plastics and tank. Plans are as follows, 295 Big Bore is being built as we speak. I will be running 400ex stock front A-arms, w/aftermarket standard travels, ultracross rear with stock swingarm and linkage. The hipers are going on this one.

The goal is to build a reliable/competitive 2st race bike for next season, and maybe some offseason racing this fall. Just picked up some powdercoating equipment so I'll be doing my own coating.
Plans are black frame w/some Trans Blue accents throughout the frame. Have my Boy at 413 signs and designs hook me up with a sick graphics kit and this thing will be racing.

Here are some beginning picks. I plan on gussetting and painting the frame next week. The stock frame is a one piece, so my usual guy for coating can't do the frame. I'm going to use some heavy duty implement paint for the frame if I can't find someone to coat it locally. I"ll do the smaller stuff/bumpers etc at my home.

The main goal here was to downsize the racing effort financially as much as possible (lol). My main goal is to buidl this bike on a budget of 2500 bucks. I picked up the bike for a grand, Motor build included. We'll see where we end up. I'm keeping a tally of parts and prices. In the current economy I'm hoping to build something that most people could afford. Mostly just to show it can be done and still stay competitive.

snacob14
09-17-2010, 08:55 PM
another view
also, one of my sponsors Guts Racing will be providing the seat cover that is not on their right now. if you guys have never tried their covers, you should. Some of the highest quality shtuff out there. I"ll post a pic when I get the cover. Gutsracing.com

89trx250r
09-17-2010, 09:08 PM
seems like itll be a cool build to look over but my question is why dont you use those elkas on the shelf for your fronts?

snacob14
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
not setup for my weight. wrong length as well.

mxduner
09-17-2010, 10:07 PM
nice find. I can't wait to see the color scheme with the grey plastic. I think you will do good price wise. keep us posted. an xc build is next on my list... after i finish my mx build:D

89trx250r
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
oh yeah i missed the std travel front setup part haha :)

snacob14
09-17-2010, 10:15 PM
yeah, I wasn't to hip on the grey plastic, but hopefully we can come up with a cool design. The frame is looking worse and worse each time I look at it. bottom motor mounts were cut off for some reason. welded at the bottom of the sub frrame. I don't know. I'm looking for some parts though. Mostly misc mounting stuff. tank, grommets, motor mounts radiator, overflow for radiator. if anyone has any of this stuff hit me up I've got paypal ready.

mxduner
09-17-2010, 10:52 PM
someone had some nice mounts they sold. I think puma shine has them or tlr online maybe? it was someone on 1 of these r sites. Overflow tank should be easy, as many remove theirs. There is some custom ways to that as well, i've seen too. I do not have any of those things for sale thou.

about the motor mounts cut off, perhaps that was for swingarm upgrade.

snacob14
09-17-2010, 10:56 PM
it was the mounts that are on teh bottom frame rails. what kind of overflow mounts have you seen. this guy had some bottle hose tied to the frame by the radiator.

mxduner
09-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
it was the mounts that are on teh bottom frame rails. what kind of overflow mounts have you seen. this guy had some bottle hose tied to the frame by the radiator. oops nevermind then. that sucks. Look up pdx bigfoots build. he did something custom for his resi, well he did everything custom lol

89trx250r
09-18-2010, 12:03 AM
yeah he mounted it up behind the shroud right under the rad cap like on the Walsh radiator its a prime spot for it and also gives the rear a cleaner look to it less clutter

mxduner
09-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
yeah he mounted it up behind the shroud right under the rad cap like on the Walsh radiator its a prime spot for it and also gives the rear a cleaner look to it less clutter i believe too that it was off of a polaris or something. heck it's just a bottle right? also i read somewhere that a guy was converting a empty bottle of nos energy drink to his, also by the rad. wtf was that:confused:

oldschoolr
09-18-2010, 07:32 AM
good luck on the build.. another r back together and back on the track :cool:

troybilt
09-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I bought a Polaris Preddy Resi for mine, 23 bucks and found the rest of the parts at True Value. Mounts right to the shrouds. The Walsh kit uses the same Popo Preddy resi tank. I'll post a pic.

troybilt
09-18-2010, 08:24 AM
pic:

disregard how full the tank is... LOL!...

89trx250r
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
that looks real nice troy good work! and also mxduner i havent seen the guy using the nos bottle yet but i have seen a guy use a mini beer keg as his airfilter shroud if you will it was awesome sorry to get off topic :)

Pumashine
09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
The frame is looking worse and worse each time I look at it. bottom motor mounts were cut off for some reason. I'm looking for some parts though. Mostly misc mounting, motor mounts

The lower motor mounts came with your gusset kit. The 86 style, which you have are the bent mounts. These weld directly to the lower frame rail

http://i52.tinypic.com/ofc5md.jpg

If you need a set of front motor mounts I will hook you up. You will want to have the motor mounted with all the bolt on motor mounts before welding the lower motor mounts to the lower frame rail. Otherwise you may have problems getting everything to line up correctly. The upper headstay mount is crucial at this time if you are running one.

Radiator mounts have been discontinued. If you can't find a used set I have some I made for 86250R on the other site

http://i56.tinypic.com/25z44ls.jpg

snacob14
09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
thanks puma. the fronts are in good shape. its just missing the middle bottom mounts. couldn't tell you why they were cut off. I will just use those mounts that came in the kit you sold me. Amazing kit by the way. I'll post some pics when its welded in.