PDA

View Full Version : Clutch ?

RideRed400EX
11-30-2001, 10:00 AM
What do people use for clutch perches and levers? Hydraulic is getting a lot of attention but it's tough to justify the cost. The stock just isn't cutting it anymore so it's getting the boot.

redrider ex
11-30-2001, 10:15 AM
:huh Where i work we make parts out of alumminum and we just started making harly davison clutch levers they are very nice and polished with a great feel to them im thinking about machining one to fit my perch.:D
redrider ex

11-30-2001, 10:38 AM
ridered400ex,,,,I use speedracingproducts.com perch/lever and ya might as well loose the emergency brakeline too,,there for get ya an e-block off plate from them too. the clutch pull will be easier and you won't have that big POS clutch mechanism anymore. And one more bit of advise,,,james lucky sells a cable luber device and lube,,get it....you'll keep that clutch pull smooth as a babies butt.

RideRed400EX
11-30-2001, 10:52 AM
Rico... I already have a block off for the e-brake and the cable has been removed so the piece which acts as a lock is rattling all around. The speedracing stuff looked pretty good so I'm going to place an order. I'll also try the cable luber, it's near impossible to get fluid inside the housing w/o making a mess.

crday98
11-30-2001, 11:01 AM
i have an RTC lever and perch.i could hold it in all day long with my pinkey.

crday98
11-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by redrider ex
:huh Where i work we make parts out of alumminum and we just started making harly davison clutch levers they are very nice and polished with a great feel to them im thinking about machining one to fit my perch.:D
redrider ex

i'm curious,who supplies your aluminum?i work at ALCOA,we are a supplier but we also have a fabrication dept. where we fabricate parts for the cannondales+many other things.

redrider ex
11-30-2001, 11:09 AM
Northwest Alumminum out of Oregon

11-30-2001, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by RideRed400EX
Rico... I already have a block off for the e-brake and the cable has been removed so the piece which acts as a lock is rattling all around. The speedracing stuff looked pretty good so I'm going to place an order. I'll also try the cable luber, it's near impossible to get fluid inside the housing w/o making a mess.

Them cable lubers are awesome and don't cause any mess,,it's actually a pretty ingenious idea. But before lubing the clutch cable,,rap a rag around the other end by the clutch itself or you'll spray lube out the other end all over your motor and plastic,,,I found out the hard way..;)

11-30-2001, 01:10 PM
I use both the Magura hydrolic and the PEP easy pull lever.. i would reccomend both.. but if you are running a 440 and an aftermarket pipe, you may be producing too much heat for the hydrolic.. so the PEP is best..

and block off the e-brake wire too.. that will help!

Holty
11-30-2001, 01:38 PM
I'm using a MSR Raptor Clutch lever & perch, with stock cable. It has 3 adjustments for the cable to go into, and an adjustment for cable slack. It works really well and costs around $32.50 and comes in different colors. I forget, either Rocky Mountain, or Dennis Kirk has them in their catalog. Also, I have Lonestar block off plate and e-brake removed. hope this helps.

TRFOXX
11-30-2001, 05:50 PM
Holty thats what i got also and am very satisfied with it!

400MXer
11-30-2001, 10:33 PM
I have the MSR too, but i want an RTC clutch lever.

12-01-2001, 03:02 PM
i am currently running an RTC lever and love it..it has 2 setting regular and easy pull and lil crooves cut so your fingers don't slip only down fall is the price kinda spendy....ialso have a pep easy pull that i've only run 1ce and it was nice and smooth.....both great levers and i also like the stock cr250 lever too....if you hav4e any more ?'s just ask

Dave400ex
12-01-2001, 03:38 PM
Who sells the RTC levers?

Lil90man!!
12-01-2001, 06:02 PM
i got a cr perch on my 300(not sure what size we just told the guy what we wanted to do and he ordered it) but it is pretty hard to pull, but it is also a shorter lever compared to the old one, it is harder to pull but i like it so far(we did it to get rid of the reverse buttons and the parking brake)

Stunz
12-03-2001, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Holty
I'm using a MSR Raptor Clutch lever & perch, with stock cable. It has 3 adjustments for the cable to go into, and an adjustment for cable slack. It works really well and costs around $32.50...Rocky Mountain

Rocky Mountain's add reads: "for motorcycles only". Any idea why they are not recommending them for dirt rides?

Has anyone used the "shorty" version?

What is RTC??

Lil90man!!
12-03-2001, 05:42 PM
i have a cr perch and lever and it is like a shorty compared to stock and i love mine easier to pull, shorter and not all that crap on it like stock!!

Scott
12-04-2001, 06:31 AM
About everyone I know runs CR perches and levers. $20 and you're done. Nice and simple and you can get a replacement at any shop if you break one.

oynot400
12-04-2001, 08:15 AM
I had a MSR Raptor shorty. It was ok but I could not get the cable to pull straight. It ruined one cable and the adjustment bolt. While I was at the Little Sahara the shop had a Fly clutch perch. I like the feel of it alot better, plus it is a better quailty lever than the Raptor.

Stunz
12-04-2001, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Scott
About everyone I know runs CR perches and levers. $20 and you're done. Nice and simple and you can get a replacement at any shop if you break one.

I just checked prices for a CR250 perch, lever and all the extra hardware and I came up with a price around $50+.

Where can I find this complete assembly for $20?

Scott
12-04-2001, 08:34 AM
I know I only paid like $6 for the CR bend lever, now I may not remember the exact price of the perch, but I know that it wasn't $40! I just walked into the local shop and got what I needed. Since I'm a cheap *****, I know it was $20 or less, otherwise I would not have spent the money.

Let me check around again...

Scott
12-04-2001, 10:13 AM
OK, I was off just a little. You can get the CR e-z-pull lever and perch from Magic racing for about $30 for everything.