PDA

View Full Version : Haggerty Problem

Coley'sdad#8
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
2-fast, haggerty intake with the kx-65 reed cage and the kx65 intake. Trying to use my pwk28 with the throttle cable Marc Smith and I designed with the 90deg. bend in the top but I can't get the carb to seat good and I am afraid when engine torques it will pop carb off of intake. This is on a DRR and I dont know if the frame is different up there than from an Apex for clearance. Will the PWK work or am I going to have to go to the PE28 which should be shorter in height??????
Didn't have much time to mess with it, had a calf hung in the fence and had to go be veterinarian:(
send pic if you have made it work out
Thanks

don bassani
09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Get a straight throttle cable and feed cable between tank and frame .I also use a zip tie from air filter clamp to frame to act as a limiter to support carb . Marine GOOP adhesive on intake boot also helps but just use a little goop around carb flange.Justin from max rpm has a real nice throttle cable for haggerty intake.

Coley'sdad#8
09-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah Don,
thought about it after I got out of shower, went out and got the ole 200x cable out with the straight top and looked at the little space between tank and frame but carb will still sit at about 20deg angle but I can set float accordingly to work i guess, tomorrow's another day in the land of the mini's;)

zach R 7x
09-16-2010, 04:47 AM
I had this same problem , talked to Wayne and he suggested that I change the rubber boot. I think it was a boot from a 80 something kx60 or 65 not positive on the cc size but have it at home. It works very good , did not have to cut plastic ,change throttle cable or air filter.
I also use bailing wire, and wrap it around frame and carb to ensure the carb does not bounce off. Don't think it would but have heard to many horror stories to take a chance.

Tim

Reimer Racing
09-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Use the KX60 boot. That should resolve your problems. The KX 60 boot sticks stright out and not angled.

Coley'sdad#8
09-16-2010, 07:17 AM
Reimer,
So this also keeps the carb level also correct????????

Logan #34's Dad
09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Mine is tilted back and everything is okay. Keep in mind, we lost a race at Steel City while leading because he hit the carb with his knee and knocked it off. Secure it! Zip ties work for me.

thequadfather+2
09-16-2010, 10:20 AM
we use the KX60 boot with the Hag intake and the the new style carb from Marc and it sits level with no problems.

The zip-tie to secure the carb is a good idea although we have never used anything and havent had any problems yet.

Our Hag is over a year old and we used the old style with the boot not the adapter.

mydirtkids
09-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I just raised the engine (Mach 1 engine mounts) on my sons DRR 90. We use the haggerty intake with aluminum snout, v-force cage, PWK 28 carb and 90' cable. Thought raising the motor might be an issue, but works just fine. Had to trim the fender just a little is all.

I was quoted $50 for the silly boot to make this correct. Instead I spent about $3 on a radiator hose and hose clamps. No issues thus far... DARN IT... why did I just say that!! :D Maybe my frame is just twisted enought that it all happens to work!!

Funny, got all this money in the bike and worried about $47. I guess it is all about pecieved value..

Is there really that much difference with the KX boots? I am planning on going to a newer style Haggerty with for bigger intake and 30 carb.... Hope there is not a clearance issue like you guys are having

Haggerty Racing
09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
the problem with the tilt is the boot,kx 65 tilts up and the kx 60 does not. thats on the first design,better secure them now than have problems at the track. as far as the larger carb size ,there are 4 different styles of intake,some with there own cast nipple.i have adapters for all styles and in any size.any questions from any one can call or email me at any time. cant get on all the time but try every nite to check emails. thanks wayne

mydirtkids
09-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks Wayne for the info! Good work and thanks for the R&D! Not sure if you sell your own product but do have some questions and need some stuff. Sent PM

Coley'sdad#8
09-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Problem solved, ran up to Paris and got the kx60 boot from Grissom, fits great, carb nice and level, haven't got fenders back on yet to see if I have to trim or not.

thequadfather+2
09-17-2010, 05:23 AM
Chris you may have to trim just a little if you dont want the filter to touch. It's not bad but I did come back and trim the inside just a little to keep the fender and filter from touching.