PDA

View Full Version : So what are we doing for throttle cables and carburetor caps now?

wilkin250r
09-15-2010, 05:43 PM
You know those issues that you haven't dealt with for a long time?

Last time I had to deal with a throttle cable issue, OEM cables were still available. Obviously, this was several years ago.

But now they're not available anymore. Cables are easy, there are lots of aftermarket cables available. But what about the carburetor caps? They were integrated into the cable on the OEM versions, so is there somebody selling replacement caps to use with a normal cable?

I'd hate to think I have to buy a whole new carb, just to replace $10 cap, in order to use an aftermarket throttle cable.

Beyond a new carb, what are my solutions?

TLR-Online
09-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Try Motion Pro:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/search/by_motorcycle/all/1986/Honda/TRX250R/All/

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/01-0021/

machwon
09-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Your dealer should be able to get you a cap, then again Sudco is difficult to get parts through. I'm not sure if parts unlimited sells them. Carbpartswharehouse will have them but they are usually expensive, shipping would be another 10. Do you need an 38/39 or a 34mm cap?

JTRtrx250r
10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Ive got 1 still in the plastic, its just the cap w/ the little wire/clip thing inside. I ran a 38 Mikuni so I most likely just bought it for the cable

I remember the cap and cable coming together...but is the cap in its own seperate plastic? (wondering why I have just the cap still new, haha)

anyway, I have 1 for you if you still need a cap Wilkin. Not sure if its easy to put the caps back on the stock cables or not..always just taken them off

If you want it, I'll have to open it and be sure it fits the stock carb, but pretty sure its the 250r cap

let me know

hartwill
10-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I know my motion pro twist throttle came with the cap. and the whole set up is only about 30$ on eBay this may be an option for you.

wilkin250r
10-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
anyway, I have 1 for you if you still need a cap Wilkin.

Maybe. The paint is curing on the motor right now (7-days for full cure), then the engine is going back together. So I'm probably getting some sort if cable/cap combo this next week.

And Hart, the quad has a twist throttle right now, but I hate them. The whole reason I'm looking at all is to get AWAY from the twist throttle.