PDA

View Full Version : Which intake would be better for my 310?

speedfreek
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
My cylinder is a esr 310 ported for mid to top end (9porting), the pipe is a trx11 top end pipe. Right now I have a ported rad valve but I bought it many years ago and was wondering if anything newer was better. My 2 choices are the esr reeds and the v-force.

I'm wondering would I feel a difference if I changed to one of these other intakes?

Which one would you choose for my bike?

I'm either having my carb bored out to 40.5mm or just going to buy the newest design soon.

Fear250r
09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure how the esr is, but with what you have I would switch to a v-force.

albertp86
09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
II have the v force 3 on my ESR 310 and love it. Great response. I would go with ESR if it was just top end drag if thats what you are into.

As far as carb. I have a 40.5 on my 310. I switched from a 38 a/s. WOW, what a differance. You are going to love a bigger carb. I might check out the Mikuni carbs.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-16-2010, 08:30 AM
When your thinging of changing reed cages, keep in mind what your intending to use that engine for.

A woods type engine, low rpm bottom end, that Rad Valve is just fine, because it is made to respond well at lower rpm ranges. Those reeds are thinner & respond quick to the slighest amount of flow.

For higher rpm ranges, like for dune riding or drag racing, the V Force or ESR cage would be a good choise.
Reeds on those cages are thicker, so in turn they open slow but close real fast.
If on a drag engine the reeds dont close fast enough, you loose intake back out the carb & in turn loose power.

Now if you take the Rad Valve & try to rev it high, more than those reeds are designed for, you end up with a flutter of the petals are high rpm because they are so thin, which in turn lowers power.

Got to think what your intending the engine to do.
Neil

speedfreek
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Neil.

You have explained everything I need to know. Looks like I will get the esr or v-force. I like to mainly drag race. I think the esr or v-force reeds will help me out on top end. It will complement my ho rev pipe and mid to top end porting.

Now another question. Does anyone know which one flows more or is better than the other?

Looks like the esr reeds are on sale for $200 and the v-force go for $140

Looks like there are 2 different design claiming both to be v-force 3's. One is black and one is grey with both being different. If I choose the v-force, which is the newer one?

C-LEIGH RACING
09-16-2010, 01:23 PM
There was a cage awhile back, a DRI-1 I think it was had the greatest flow & 6 petal I beleave it was.
Years ago the ol Mossburgers flowed more than any other cage on the market & the DRI 1 seen, look just like the old Mossburgers.
Neil

rustyATV
09-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Just for something different: I've heard it said that the '97 CR250 reed cage flows better than most. Don't know what the basis for the claim was, but it is made for a 38mm carb where the TRX stuff isn't.

Personally, I run a Boyesen for a '97 CR250. Even though I'm set up for woods, I do pretty well drag racing.

TheIceMan
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
I run the stock '97 Honda CR cage/intake on my 295.

speedfreek
09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
There was a cage awhile back, a DRI-1 I think it was had the greatest flow & 6 petal I beleave it was.
Years ago the ol Mossburgers flowed more than any other cage on the market & the DRI I seen, look just like the old Mossburgers.
Neil I looked up these cages and they look good but when I saw the pyramid cage I thought, how could anything flow more than this? I mean it's just a huge hole AND it had reeds on the side! Less surface area means more air flow right? How can a reed cage have all these different pathways and flow as much as the pyramid?

This gets my brain going. Looks like I'm going to do some research and call a few big companies.

wes350x
09-16-2010, 07:49 PM
I run the VF 3 on my 400r and a CR cage on my 310. They both do very well. Ive always wanted the DIR1 cage but never tried it.

09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
speedfreek, I sent you a pm.

speedfreek
09-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 8686
speedfreek, I sent you a pm. I will keep you in mind, thanks

Well I called ESR today and they said their reeds gave more mid to top end than the v-force. Easily. I'd like to get in touch with v-force or whatever the company's name is. Is it Motosunami(sp) ? to see what they say about theirs vs ESR.

speedfreek
09-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Just thought I'd post some pics. The first two are advertised as v-force 3's but they look different. The last one is an esr cage. Any opinions are welcome.
Delta V-Force
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/250R/vforce3.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/250R/vforce.jpg
ESR Reed cages RB2000
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/250R/esrreeds.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/250R/BilletReedBlocks-2T.jpg

09-18-2010, 07:14 PM
The latest VForce3 Reeds for TRX250R’s or ATC250R's look like the black one in the center picture with 2 large pedals per side, or 8 pedals total except, they do not have the pedal limiting plastic curve on them as shown in the picture.

They work very well for Mid-Top end performance on 250CC-350CC displacement cylinders.