PDA

View Full Version : Extended steering stem pro's and con's

shnit
09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Question is fairly simple... i ride a 400ex, with pro taper atv high bend bars (not really any higher than stock)... after coming back from this weekends trip my back is killing me...

I ride a lot standing up and so the extended stem seems like a good investment as i would be able to stand strait up and not hunch over.. i'm 6'2"

BUT, sitting down what are your guy's opinions? My bars are fine sitting down, its just the standing up. so is this going to give me the huge chopper feel?

Would love your guy's opinions

Scro
09-15-2010, 06:10 PM
It will feel awkward at first, but you will get used to it. At 6'2", I would suggest a +2 stem. A buddy of mine is about that height, and it fits him nicely. I'm 5'6", and run a +1. It really helps to get elbows away from your body, when the bars are full lock and you are leaning into a turn.

bluerid
10-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Agreed. Pretty much everyone who owns a honda quad will probably need to get an extended stem because they're stems are so short. I heard that the chroming process makes the stem weaker than usual so I wouldn't get chrome. Even if that's not true I still wouldn't get chrome unless you have a show quad. Also most manufacturers who make aftermarket stems have an anti-vibe design which is a plus. You will need new clamps but they usually come with those anyway. One of the only negative things about an extended stem is that more of the stem is sticking out so there's more leverage for it to be bent. I've rolled my quad with a stock stem many times and never bent the stem, at least not enough to cause a difference. I rolled a quad with an extended Houser ONCE and I bent the stem way beyon funtion.

ricksmx865
10-20-2010, 05:59 PM
I ran a +2 stem on my 450r, I'm 6'1" and it was the only way i could get comfortable

ROBS08YFZ450
10-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I really like my +2 stem

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/ROBS08YFZ450/101_3681-1.jpg

BlaineKaiser450
10-24-2010, 08:53 PM
I can't think of any negatives to an extended steering stem. I am 6'1 and I ran a +1.5 and was very happy with it.