PDA

View Full Version : Problem adjusting 450R shocks

CJM
09-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Stupid Q, but is it possible to remove the compression adjustment screw and just replace it without redoing the shock (IE taking it apart, will it lose oil that kinda thing)?

I noticed today when i finally went to adjust them that the ebay person i got them from sold them to me with one of the screws all damaged-it does turn but its slowly breaking apart and seems like brass?

CJM
09-15-2010, 07:49 PM
cmon no one knows???

Steve, Ron..someone?

dustin_j
09-16-2010, 11:58 AM
You will have to release nitrogen pressure to do it. Then, if the comp adjuster is left as the highest point, you should be able to remove the current/broken adjuster and replace while only adding a small amount of oil. Then you'll need to recharge with nitrogen. Not sure how easily you'll be able to find a compression adjuster though. You may want to upgrade both shocks to a high and low speed adjuster from Hygear. I wonder how well the adjuster works since I've never heard of anyone using them.

If the shocks are used you'd be doing yourself a favor getting the oil changed at the same time. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dustin

honda400ex2003
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
cmon no one knows???

Steve, Ron..someone?

lol shocks arent my specialty at all. I am learning also from the thread. :D steve

CJM
09-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Dustin.

Basically the shocks have very little use time, they were SUPER clean when i got them but I never noticed the one adjustment screw is all chewed up. I was trying to come up with a way to adjust it and not mess it up any further but Im at a loss since its really nasty looking.

With a very large screwdriver (read: FAT TIP) its adjustable but you gotta take it easy.

Perhaps Ill have GT thunder or CD redo them one day, for now Ill just leave it be. I thought perhaps that spot wasnt under pressure and you could just remove it.

dustin_j
09-17-2010, 06:59 AM
If you can still adjust it without causing further damage, you should be alright to use it. All oil in the shock is pressurized by the nitrogen. In a bladder shock (like stock shocks) the bladder will continue to expand and you will just lose more and more oil if you remove anything.

01 400EXer
09-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Is is possible to clean up the chewed up portion with a dremmel tool or even cut a new slot the other direction?

tri5ron
09-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Sorry it took me so long to respond.
This may be of some help to you...

http://amshowa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=79

Contact them and see if they can give you any tech info, and possibly even send you out a new adjustment screw.
Hope this helps.
Ron

dustin_j
09-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Try calling Showa like Ron suggested; however, I wonder if the cost of the part will be prohibitive. Maybe they could help you cross reference part numbers to find a different stock shock to buy, just for the adjuster. I could help you through the process of swapping if you want to do it yourself.

Post a picture, how bad is it? You say you can still adjust it, so why change it?

CJM
09-17-2010, 04:48 PM
I can adjust it, but I must press in with the screwdriver to make sure it doesnt slip and even then its so so. Basically the edges of the slot are practically destroyed

I could cut a slot a wee bit deeper in it-I may do this after I think about it. The screw should be ok then. I would weld it, but fear heating it up that much wont be a good thing.

ETA: now that I think about it, cutting it out slightly deeper with a dremel should be ok, Im assuming the head is probably a good 3/16" thick or so. Worst case, I could tap the thing a bit and put in a set screw I could JB weld or loctite in too. But cutting a deeper groove with a dremel should work.

Thoughts on deeper groove?

Worst case, I might send them out this winter to GT thunder to be revalved for my weight or something. But again that costs money for just a trail rider.

tri5ron
09-17-2010, 05:05 PM
CJM,
Call Showa, and ask to talk to someone in customer support.
tell them the screw is stripped.
Play nice, and you might be surprised.
They may just send you a new screw for free.

It's not like it's a very expensive part.
Yes, you will need to get it recharged with nitrogen later,...
BUT, if your going to send them out for a revalving ANYWAY,... then why not send them out, with a replacement screw, that is not stripped out?
It's REALLY not a big deal to do.
If you send them out, they will be getting recharged anyway.

Hell, it's worth a shot, and it's just a phone call.

CJM
09-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Thats a good idea Ron, will do.