PDA

View Full Version : how are these quads on the track?

m0t0xk1d
09-15-2010, 05:54 AM
nest season i will be rracing a ds450. how do these feel overall? I wont get the chance to ride one before i buy it because i do not i know has one that i could ride... How is the motor? ive heard that it has no bottom end... its it hard to ride and compensate for? hows the mid and top? how is the handling also? ive read that the quad fits taller people better. but how tall? im 5'9". I will be riding on stock xmx suspension in the neatv production b class. Ive been getting more and more nervous about getting a ds with all the frame cracks and recalls... how often is it really that the frame cracks? anything else i should be looking for? i know of the clutch also.

blaster99
09-15-2010, 06:39 AM
You will be fine on one. They handle great, you just have to rev it a bit more to get power out of it.

Mr. Big Time
09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
they dont have great bottom end, but changing gearing or doing motor work will help. Also, holeshots are more timing than power, ive gotten plenty of holeshots or being real close to holeshots. Also I have only bent 2 frames and that was from pretty bad crashes. I have also hit really big jumps many times and havent cracked a frame yet. As far as the clutch goes, call motoworks and get there aftermarket one or if you are financing and dont have the cash for the clutch just have them add it to the loan :) The quad is great and you will love it, the faster you get the more you will want to mod things, like the radiator and small things. Just call motorworks, those guys are great and will take care of you. After all, there job is spending all day everyday to make the bikes run better.

Blizzard24
09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
I see your location is Maine, contact BCS in Mass, they have everything you need for the DS

m0t0xk1d
09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes The bike will be going to BCS this winter for the oil mod, their clutch and the cam mod. WE actually know Donald and Jay at BCS pretty well as they built my 300 and we've had my bike thier several times.

I like bikes that rev real high. i tend to shift more and keep the bikes in high rpms. how high does the bike rev into the rpm? What weight are the X MX shocks valved for? are they fr you weight or a generic weight?

anythings i should do right when i get it? i plan to do all recalls/ updates, Stage 1 motoworks kit, BCS Reinforcement kit, and clutch and cam mod. anything i should do to prevent anything?

blaster99
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
The wiring harness will need to be cut. Jay can help you out and tell you everything that needs to be done. The motor revs pretty high, if you like to shift you will like this quad. The shocks are valved for a 175lb rider I believe. I weigh 150, and they are still a bit too soft for me. The are super plush so I love them. If you find yourself bottoming out all the time with the compression all the way up.. just get them re-valved and they will be mint.

300ex#996
10-07-2010, 05:57 AM
matt why are you going right to production b? i dont think many kids will be in it. just go to 4 stroke or open if you're doing b. that's what i'm doing haha :devil:

m0t0xk1d
10-07-2010, 06:22 AM
well as long as there is 5 people i have a chance for the contingency. but if there isnt five people i will be doing 4 stroke and open. I plan on running 4 stroke must races anyways. just depends how close it is to production.

blaster99
10-07-2010, 08:01 AM
There should be atleast5 guys in production B. If the top 3 from C moves up and a few new guys there will be a decent amount of people.

motox_rider695
10-07-2010, 09:52 PM
i kno this sounds dumb but whats the difference between like production and 450 classes?

i was looking to do the same, buy a new can am and do the contingency and race those classes also

blaster99
10-08-2010, 04:55 AM
For the new england series the production class is more of a stock class. You can check out the rule book on the neatv web site. 4 stroke is a mod class. The production class rules from the rule book arent always followed, so if you have a question its best to call Howard the president of NEATV, and he can clear up any issues. There are a lot of mods you now can do that are not in the rule book, such as the BCS radiator mod and other things like that.