PDA

View Full Version : for all the people that powdercoat

TheX1992
02-06-2003, 04:35 PM
what kind of guns does everybody use for powdercoating? i was thinking of buying the hotcoat gun. or the yellow one that you always see on ebay if you type in 'powder coat'. any of you guys try these? if not what other ones do you use. let me know im thinking about picking one up and i wanna know what works best for the dollar. thanks

tjd400
02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
I have both of those guns and they work about the same. The hotcost maybe a little better. The real diff is in the price. I just got my new gun today it's the model 1100 hotcoat pro gun which should work alot better than the other two.

CHAUNCY
02-06-2003, 06:38 PM
I was lookin into this a while back and wanted the hot coat 1100.
It seemed pretty good from what I hear and I am still lookin into gettin into the world of powdercoating. Prolly by this year I will be gettin one.I hope:ermm:

Pappy
02-06-2003, 06:42 PM
the hobby guns are fine for small parts.

i use 2 of the model#1100 guns

racin 400
02-06-2003, 06:51 PM
I am gonna be using a columbia coatings hobby gun.Should be good for small parts.:devious:

flyin#5
02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
how much do these cost??

racin 400
02-06-2003, 07:02 PM
$149 is a good starting kit or the 86$ 1s are a good starter hobby kit.Then u gotta have a aircomp and a oven.Its always good to have a sand blaster too.;) But for real small parts u can just buy a toaster oven that gose up to 400 degrees.The part has to be pre heated i think at 350 degrees for 5 mins then spray it then cook it for the powder specs.Take it out let it cool and bam ur done.+before u start applying powder u have to degrease it fully and clean the part very well.I think i hit all the issues.

Woodsrider
02-06-2003, 08:37 PM
I have the Chicago Electric gun and have done parts as big as a 16 inch wheel. I am happy with it so far, but I want the 1100. If your not trying to get a small side business going buy either of the hobby guns. If you are, then I would have to say get the 1100 right off the bat. My CE gun has paid for itself twice over but hasent quite paid for the sandblaster yet. I am into my whole setup $700 and should have everything paid for by the end of the month. Then it is all free money. Once I get it all paid for I am getting the 1100.

Oh, I have only PC'd 1 atv part since I got started and it was my heatshield:rolleyes: everything else has been for street rods and ricers.

RABMotorsports
02-06-2003, 08:42 PM
I think we are having the guns on sale soon. I know they said something like that in the meeting today. The standard Hotcoat gun something like $129 we are putting them in a ad in National Dragster for $99.99 but not for a few weeks. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys with Hotcoat or Eastwood stuff. Thanks

TheX1992
02-06-2003, 08:52 PM
thanks for the responses guys. i MIGHT start a small business but i wuold like to try and do a few parts first to see if i really like it or not. i mean i hear all good things about it but everybody is different. i have a warehouse my friends dad owns and theres a few rooms that he doesnt use that he parks his semi in. i was thinking about using that for a shop. then we have sand blasters and crap. i mean its a metal working business he owns he has everything lol. i can get an oven. i just need the gun. he has like 4 air compressors too. FH Racing is stepping up :). so what do you think. get a hobby one to try or spend the money and get the 1100?

quadfamily
02-06-2003, 09:13 PM
I didn't know yo had to bake the powder coat! How do you bake a frame?

killed300ex
02-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
I didn't know yo had to bake the powder coat! How do you bake a frame?

In a very big oven lmao j/k you can make walk in ovens kinda like a freezer thats what my dad uses at his work its the biggest oven iv eveer seen its like 20x20 lol
killed

upstate rider
02-07-2003, 05:40 AM
As long as the thread was about power coating for those that have done it. I was wondering if anyone has tried chroming there parts 1st and then power coating them after so you get that almost see through shine with the color in it?

Pappy
02-07-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by upstate rider
As long as the thread was about power coating for those that have done it. I was wondering if anyone has tried chroming there parts 1st and then power coating them after so you get that almost see through shine with the color in it?

you dont have to chrome the part...you use chrome powdercoat as a base and a translucent color over the chrome pc base.

hash1250r
02-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Try looking on Eastwood.com or Columbiacoatings.com sometimes they have their guns and their kits on sale.Some body told me to look their .Thats where i got mine.

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by killed300ex
In a very big oven lmao j/k you can make walk in ovens kinda like a freezer thats what my dad uses at his work its the biggest oven iv eveer seen its like 20x20 lol
killed

how would you 'make' an oven? im kinda curious. i need something besides my ez bake oven :chinese:

upstate rider
02-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
you dont have to chrome the part...you use chrome powdercoat as a base and a translucent color over the chrome pc base. Thanks Pappy , I've seen it and liked the looks but wasn't sure how they got it

Rip_Tear
02-07-2003, 04:17 PM
First time I check out one of the Powder Coating threads. Pretty cool, basicly what I thought. I definately would like to try PC'ing some of my stuff later on. Figures I find out you need an oven after my mom gives away our old one! :eek: Well I am sure I can find another one. Sounds cool, a sand blaster isnt that expensive, and I already have 2 compressors...

flyin#5
02-07-2003, 04:35 PM
wow, i thought the guns would be more but i guess it would get pretty spendy if you have to get a huge oven for frames. and thex1992 im not too far from you so if you start that business ill have ya pc some stuff for me!

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by flyin_400EX
wow, i thought the guns would be more but i guess it would get pretty spendy if you have to get a huge oven for frames. and thex1992 im not too far from you so if you start that business ill have ya pc some stuff for me!

yea and if you include another 10 bucks on top of the work ill show ya the good ridin spots :p

flyin#5
02-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
yea and if you include another 10 bucks on top of the work ill show ya the good ridin spots :p

haha dont worry i have plenty of good riding spots of my own. for free powdercoating ill show them too you:D and my uncle lives in EC and my sis's go to college there so it would be right there.... how convenient:devil

MeatHead
02-07-2003, 05:01 PM
I was just curious, what is better for curing the powder coat. Electric heat, or gas heat? And if you use gas, is it better to build a direct fire, or radiant tube type oven. I ask this because I am curious about what the gasses would do to the powder. It seems to me that gas would be cheaper, but electric would give a cleaner cure, thus a better powder coating. Does this make sense to those that do this?

As for "How do you build an oven?" How big of an oven do you want to build? One that you could drive your car into? or just one that you could put a quad frame in? I use to work for a company that builds industrial ovens. Large ovens that you could park your car in. They laid off 30 engineers, and I was the next engineer in line to go, so I took off. I could design the electrical and temperature control circuits, but the actual oven itself, the walls, heater box, louvers, exhaust size, etc. would have to be done by some one else. I don't want the responsibility/ liability if anything doesn't work right. To keep the liability away, I wont even tell you how to build the actual oven box. But if you want to know the correct way to do the temperture control just let me know.

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by MeatHead
I was just curious, what is better for curing the powder coat. Electric heat, or gas heat? And if you use gas, is it better to build a direct fire, or radiant tube type oven. I ask this because I am curious about what the gasses would do to the powder. It seems to me that gas would be cheaper, but electric would give a cleaner cure, thus a better powder coating. Does this make sense to those that do this?

As for "How do you build an oven?" How big of an oven do you want to build? One that you could drive your car into? or just one that you could put a quad frame in? I use to work for a company that builds industrial ovens. Large ovens that you could park your car in. They laid off 30 engineers, and I was the next engineer in line to go, so I took off. I could design the electrical and temperature control circuits, but the actual oven itself, the walls, heater box, louvers, exhaust size, etc. would have to be done by some one else. I don't want the responsibility/ liability if anything doesn't work right. To keep the liability away, I wont even tell you how to build the actual oven box. But if you want to know the correct way to do the temperture control just let me know.

i might have to look into that. what kind of material do you build it with? im sure i could make up some of my own designs and go bigger if i need to down the line. im looking at up to the size of a quad frame right now. what do you use to run it... gas or how much power do i need to crank to that sucker. i understand you about that liability thing. now a days like my dad says the main goal of peoples lives is 'who can i sue next to get money'.

oh and flyin....do you come to EC often then? im there quite a bit. i have yet to run into a fellow exrider. we'll have to get together sometime

MeatHead
02-07-2003, 07:43 PM
Usually ovens are a panel construction made out of sheet metal, with some sort of high temperature insulation as the filler. Then the panels are assembled. Also for the really good ovens, the heater elements/burners are in a heater box that is attached to the oven, and a blower blows the hot air through ducts built in the panels with louvers that can be adjusted to control the temperature range inside the oven. This allows you to get the heat even in the oven. If it is a gas fired oven, you need a flame control unit, purge timer, flame detector, and other safety devices. If you were to build one, and did not have ALL the required safeties, I can guarantee that your insurance would not pay out one dime if there was a problem. You also need some sort of a temperature control unit, like a Honeywell, or something cheaper like a Watlow. You also need a high temperature sensor to turn the oven off if it get too hot. But you need these for both electric and gas.

Electric is easier, you need some sort of an amplifier/controler for the heater element. Usually an SCR of some make. As well as the before mentioned temperature controllers. As for how much gas/electricity it will use, that all depends on the construction, and how fast you want it to get to temperature, as well as how tight you want it to hold its temperature.

After thinking about it. You may be better off contacting an oven manufacturer and finding out how much they sell their standard ovens for. If you buy something that is standard, the price is usually MUCH lower as the design is already done. Also there are companies that buy used equipment cheap from companies, then fix them if needed and sell them cheap. If you want to really get into for profit, you would be much better off getting a oven that is built by a professional. It will have much better heating characteristics.

Ralph
02-07-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by killed300ex
killed

could you bake me like a realy, REALY big brownie? like 3x3x3 ft. in size???

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
could you bake me like a realy, REALY big brownie? like 3x3x3 ft. in size???

:uhoh: someones got the munchies

CBW
02-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MeatHead
You may be better off contacting an oven manufacturer and finding out how much they sell their standard ovens for.

www.hotcoat.com

$7,999 for this electric model....you can upgrade to nat/LP for another $2000 or so....and upgrade to a larger oven that could cost as much as $31,750 for the HPC 8-20-8 powder curing oven

TheX1992
02-07-2003, 09:05 PM
7,999 for a starter kit? i might as well just buy their infared system for like 600-700