PDA

View Full Version : broken swingarm

manuzl_
09-13-2010, 07:07 PM
after the first moto i saw thisssss

suggestions ?

blaster99
09-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Damn dude.... I have never seen that before. New stock swingarms are on ebay. I know bcs has one in stock too.

florentino
09-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by manuzl_
after the first moto i saw thisssss

suggestions ?

take all plastics off the bike and check your frame.

check all the bolts. and check the big bolt that holds the motor

and the swing arm.

that can happen to any bike.

i seen a yamaha swing arm in half.

Blizzard24
09-14-2010, 06:00 PM
check our bearings in your shock and linkage... your bearings might have seized up causing your swingarm to break

florentino
09-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by CanAm450ryder
Learn how to land a jump!!!! geez people who dont know how to ride come one here crying about broken parts.... ive got 50 hours of hard trail riding and mx on my 2008 ds and havent broken a thing . shi+y riders and owners who do no maintenance give the ds a bad name.

wooww 50 hrs thats alot of hrs. you must be riding like a big puss. once you start racing things break real easy.

there is a reason why we post broken parts so we can all learn and help the others.

TNT
09-18-2010, 06:49 AM
The best way to land a jump for the quad is on all 4's to distribute the load to the structure and shocks evenly, I've rarely seen that. I don't think this had anything to do with landing a jump wrong.

This broke right where I'd expect it to, a far distance away from the rear tires where the bending moment is greatest. We have not seen this often out here, but over time fatigue sets in and sh** happens.

This is a weak light weight AL casting w/low fatigue life. Houser makes them out of tubular 4130 steel but none for the DS. If you look at their HON design they put a rib at this location for this reason, and the linkage. I'd go with steel if you can find one, see what the weight difference is, if not stock is fine this is an isolated incidence.

manuzl_
09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
i think that swingarm brokes because the bearings in my shock and linkage have seized up after some races and causing my swingarm to break

and every jump i landed with de 4 wheels

manuzl_
09-18-2010, 02:48 PM
what do you think about the walsh swingarm ?

TNT
09-18-2010, 03:54 PM
what do you think about the walsh swingarm ?

I'm not that impressed by it, reason is there is not much to support this area that you cracket laterally. Look at the Houser Honda, see the difference they use a cross brace there. Over priced too, for $900 you could buy at least two stockers used maybe more and be fine.

Blizzard24
09-18-2010, 06:35 PM
i think that swingarm brokes because the bearings in my shock and linkage have seized up after some races and causing my swingarm to break

and every jump i landed with de 4 wheels

Thats what I suspected... either the shock shaft snaps or the swingarm would crack.

TNT
09-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Good idea to go and look for pits and cracks in those bearings after each season, damage looks pretty expensive.

Blizzard24
09-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Terry, more than just pits and cracks... the bearings should be replaced fairly often. Once they seize everything binds up and they can seize due to corrosion from mud and water.

blaster99
09-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
Terry, more than just pits and cracks... the bearings should be replaced fairly often. Once they seize everything binds up and they can seize due to corrosion from mud and water.

Definitely. having good bearings is so important. Once they wear and a little play starts to build, things will start breaking. They should be greased all the time, and if there is no grease fitting they should be changed twice a year, at least.