PDA

View Full Version : MotoWoz.com - Revolutionizing the Shock industry

MX26
02-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Check them out. I hear they will own everything.

MotoWoz.com (http://www.motowoz.com)

Ralph
02-06-2003, 04:21 PM
those look GREAT

MX26
02-06-2003, 04:52 PM
They're $1400 for the front, $1400 for the rear, and from what my friend tells me they're worth every penny.

02-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by MX26
They're $1400 for the front, $1400 for the rear, and from what my friend tells me they're worth every penny.

Does the crack come inside them or in a seperate bag...:eek: LMFAO

How could they be that good??? new company to the market and their prices are higher than all competitors that have prooved their value... Good luck to em...I do like the blue colors...:D

wilkin250r
02-06-2003, 05:52 PM
What's so special about them that they are worth $1400?

Juggalo
02-06-2003, 06:28 PM
i'm gonna e-mail the guy and see if he'll come here and talk to us.

Mxbubs
02-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Sniff, Sniff....Whats that smell?

MX26
02-06-2003, 06:45 PM
It is a new company, so do you think they can produce a ZPS style shock for less than $1000 when he's not into Mass Production yet? The $1400 includes the R&D time he puts into each shock. As soon as the word gets out about these shocks, the price will come down.

Motowoz uses bigger lines so more oil moves at a higher rate of speed.(Keeps heat down, no fading). The guy that builds them used to work for King. If you don't know, they are truck racing suspension company, and these shocks are built to the same coilover specs and design as the truck shocks. 5/8" shaft, self cleaning Heim joints, carpine bump stops, ZPS, triple rate, fully adjustable, with full threaded bodies. If you've never ran a threaded body style shock, they are VERY nice. Works offered the threaded body when I had mine and they were awesome for adjustability. It would take 5 minutes to adjust from track to track. Soon there will be an internal bypass coilover shock for ATV's on the market.

$1400 is a bit high, but Temecula Motorsports and Alba both are running these shocks. If they weren't quality, Temecula wouldn't run it.

A4StrokeGuy
02-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Those things make me druel!!!:blah I'm going to have to wait a few months before i order a new set of shocks, might have to give them a try!

Jordan

muff
02-06-2003, 08:32 PM
so perdy....i want some....what? i can get 2 complete sets of elkas for 1 set of those :huh

Juggalo
02-06-2003, 09:40 PM
it doesn't look like the hoses on em are steel braided either...

airheadedduner
02-07-2003, 12:51 AM
I don't see why they would perform any better then anything else on the market. I could buy a full set front and back mod from TCS for one end of those. It all comes down to $$. I mean, does it mean that they are $550 better then TCS, I think not. They do look nice though. Its all in rider preference:p

OCCRA288
02-07-2003, 07:33 AM
When I buy New Shocks and A-arms, I'll be going with a Houser/Axis or Houser/Derisi setup. 1400$ for a rear shock, kiss my @$$

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 09:15 AM
if any of you guys were serious racers, and they are proven here within the next few months, u would prob. stop whining about them, comparing them with other shocks, and then you would prob. sell your elkas, TCS, etc. to get them:rolleyes:

02-07-2003, 09:44 AM
I wonder if penske racing owns them too and charges the extra $3,000 for the name...LMFAO

Sorry but I don't care who makes them or how good they are..$2,800 for 3 ATV shocks is the most stupidist thing I've ever heard of..that's a the price of a used car..:huh

Funny thing is ,,,,,when they get released and a few top pro's are running them..you'll see Doug Gust scream by on his junky elka's..roflmao

02-07-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I wonder if penske racing owns them too and charges the extra $3,000 for the name...LMFAO

Sorry but I don't care who makes them or how good they are..$2,800 for 3 ATV shocks is the most stupidist thing I've ever heard of..that's a the price of a used car..:huh

Funny thing is ,,,,,when they get released and a few top pro's are running them..you'll see Doug Gust scream by on his junky elka's..roflmao

LOL:D he has a point

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Lets just remember a few years back, when works were the BEST SHOCKs. And u caould get top of the line shocks for $600-800 and everyone would say, god i would NEVER pay over $1k for shocks. Well look where we are now. I garuntee there is something about these shocks that will make them an unbelievable shock, and thats why they are more $$. I guess we will have to wait and see.

MX26
02-07-2003, 11:46 AM
Very well said Extreme.

I guess people with a different opinion on shock setups are totally wrong, since Elka's are the best thing since sliced bread. That's probably because they're the cheapest ZPS style shock out there... And everyone knows shocks work better with a little more green in your back pocket. Is anyone except me sensing biased people?

Yes, the brake lines are braided and then coated so they will never rust. $1400 is high, but like I've said before, the price will go down when the R&D work gets done. The bypass coilover is what will make these shocks great. The person that I know that's running them says they are on par with TCS, but perform better in whoops and braking bumps due to the bigger lines. Faster moving oil means a faster moving shaft, less heat and less fade. A faster moving shaft also means that the faster you ride, the better the shocks absorb the hit.

Once again, it seems that many people on this board think that Elka's are the only brand worth spending money on, so yeah I can see where you'd be offended by a newcomer bringing a new product. Time will tell.

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 12:04 PM
no MX26,
THAT WAS WELL SAID!!! Alot of ppl on this board rip on me because i like Axis, and they say "if its not your way then its junk" Which is not true. But with Elka im not a fan because almost every time one of my buddys got elkas, they all hated them. I can dial my Axis in to a very good point fo rme. But i dont know what the heck the put in those elkas, it just seems to get worse with adjustments. So yes i DO have a good reason to dislike Elka at this point. And if you are going to pay the 7-900 for Elkas, i figure ill just pay the extra 2-300 for a shock that is proven. But we are all humans and we are all bias to certain things. But there are ALOT of ppl on this board that have tunnel vision that Elkas are the best, but i bet 90% of them never even sat on a quad with a set of dialed in Axis or PEPs.
Here we go, let the flaming begin on me:D

02-07-2003, 01:25 PM
:macho I"m a fan of any aftermarket shock...I like to poke fun at some things but I know good stuff when I see it..them new shocks look badazz for sure...i just hate seeing the cost's of products for our quads that are just plain crazy..:(

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Ill promote ANY PRODUCT OUT THERE when its proven to me that it works. And i have dealt with ALOT of differant products in the year and a half that ive run a bike shop, and thats just why iim not a HUGE fan of ELkas, cause to me they havent been proven. ANd i think thats perfectly respectible. Thats why i respect the guys opinion that have run most of the shocks, for more then just a few minutes. Like Jeff, im sure he ran most of the shocks out there, and he picks his elkas over all of them. I respect that alot, becuase hes been there and done that with the others. But alot of ppl say Axis isnt worth the money, but how would they know?

02-07-2003, 01:46 PM
I guess you miss understood me...my point is that it hurts ATV racing when a set of good shocks can run $2,800 no matter what brand...

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 01:48 PM
oh i understand what your sayin, but like it was said b4, they will go down. But he could also be trying to cover all of his expenses at the very beginning, unfortunately it usually doesnt work like that. I hope thats what hes doing anyways. But i didnt say that was a good price. I think its outrageous too, lol. But if they are proven to be awesome shocks, u know there are going to be a TON of ppl that buy them.

Extremeracer167
02-07-2003, 01:50 PM
sorry rico or anyone in particualr if u think im singleing you or or getting b*tchy with you, im not, just had to vent i guess, bad day:D

Dave400ex
02-07-2003, 02:30 PM
There is nothing to flame about, NO ATV SHOCKS ARE WORTH $1,400, PERIOD. That is retarded. I feel bad for the guys that spend that much money on shocks. Until I see some top Pro's or the Prices go way down, I have no respect for that company selling them for that much. Man just think if him and Doug Roll got together. They would want $20,000 for a rolling chassis.... :macho

mrusk
02-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Man just think if him and Doug Roll got together. They would want $20,000 for a rolling chassis.... :macho

LMAO. Its funny how for 2800 you can get a 3 year old cr250 and take it to the track and win. In the quad world 2800 gets ya 3 shocks.

matt

Dave400ex
02-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Yeah that is also a good point. Even after you have $2,800 in 3 shocks, if you were MXing you would need A-Arms, and an Axle at least before you would want to race to win. You could get truck shocks cheaper then $2,800. Heck for the price of a Sparks pipe you could get some Flowmasters for your truck too...

Juggalo
02-07-2003, 03:06 PM
well i just got a very informative e-mail from jesse the owner of motowoz. check it out:

David,

Thank you for your e-mail. Let me try to fill you in on our company the best I can.
MOTOWOZ is a partnership between myself, and well.... My partner.

I am a pro ATV racer, and have been for about 10 years. My partner is a mechanical engineer who has worked for some of the most advanced off-road companies in the industry. I noticed that there was speculation that he worked for KING. Neither myself nor my partner has ever worked for KING Shocks. My partner did work as a design engineer for many years at another larger high performance off-road shock company.

I convinced my partner to join me in this venture in 2001 after being disappointed for years with the selection of ATV shocks available on the market. As a professional ATV racer it is very difficult to find an ATV shock that will perform that way I wanted it to. After working with many prototypes we finally developed the product that acheived the goals I had set that I thougth would make this the best shock in the industry. We have been testing our shocks for over a year (somewhat secretely).

Let me tell you a little about the shocks.

Shafts...
Our shafts our 5/8 inch diameter. This has become pretty standard now among the high-end shocks. I don't know of anyone who is using a 7/8 inch shaft. This is huge. There really is no need to have a shaft that big. Besides, it would be very heavy.

Bodies...
Like the rest of our parts, Our bodies were designed by us from scratch for ATV racing. They are (like all our parts) manufactured by us on state of the art CNC machines right here in the USA. Our bodies are threaded from one end to the other with "Stub Acme" threads for durability and longevity.

Preload...
Preload confuses a lot of people. Although "Zero-Preload" is a big buzz word these days, most people are a little confused about what it means. Zero-Preload would mean that the spring on a shock is not compressed at all when the shock is extended. If this were really true, the spring would be loose, and even rattle. In reality, set-ups that are called Zero-Preload are really just multiple rate shocks that start with a very soft initial spring that has a lot of sag, and "very little pre-load". Our shocks also run this way, but do have a threaded pre-load adjuster so that should you choose to add pre-load to them, you always have that choice. There are circumstances where adding pre-load will really improve your ride.

Hoses...
We get a lot of questions about these. First let me explain the average steel braides hose. Steel braided hoses are simply steel braided strands around a plastic hose. If this hose is bent too tight, the inner plastic hose can kink, and the remain kinked even when the hose is straightened out again. Because of the external steel braids, you would probably never notice this. Our hose is made of two layers of rubber, and two layers of steel strands. All this is covered by a "textile" braid (blue). This is the same type of hose used on expensive off-road race cars. It's used for a reason. It's very tough. This is really a secondary reason why we use this hose though. You may already know this part, but I'll explain it anyway. The volume of oil that must travel from a shock to a reservoir is the exact same volume as the shaft that enters the shock. Anothe way to say it is this... A shock is already full of oil, so when you hit a bump, and the shaft goes into the shock, it must force out that much oil to make room for the shaft. In the old days, shafts were small, and short. (We now have much longer travel). This all means that much more oil must tavel from the shock to the reservoir. Well, oil can only travel through a small hose so fast, so at times when you hit a high speed bump, the shaft can only enter the shock as fast as the oil can get through the hose. This means that hour hose diameter can start to limit your shaft speed, and your shocks can't move fast enough to absorb fast hits. That's why we went to a larger hose so that we can control shaft speed with the shock valving like it's intended to.

Cross-overs...
When building multi spring shocks, you must control how much each spring can work. Most companies do this with cross-over spacers. If you place a spacer between two spring guides, the spring can only compress to the size of the spacer. This works pretty well. By replacing the spacer with a shorter spacer, the spring can compress further. This is the MOST effective adjustment you can make to the feel of your shocks. The problem is that you must take your shocks off your bike, then springs off the shocks to change this spacer. Then you also have to ahve the right size spacer. We have improved this area by replacing the spacers with threaded lock rings. In order to change the amount a "tender" spring can compress, you simply adjust the threaded cross-over rings the way you would a threaded pre-load ring. Just few turns really makes a difference you can feel. The top set of cross-over rings mostly affects the ride height. The lower set will control how soft you want your ride.

Over-all design. many of the ATV shocks today were designed for something else. Many of the shocks that have been around a while were originally designed for motorcycles when they used two in the back. Other new companies are selling snow-mobile shocks as ATV shocks, Others are using shocks or parts of shocks that were designed for Nascar or Indy Cars. We set out to design and build shocks that are for ATVs.

As you can probably see, a lot of time and testing went into making these shocks what they are. Aside from building a shock that is better, we originally wanted to also make a shock that was a little less expensive. I admit it. We failed there. Because myself and my partner have such intimate knowledge of the industry, and we invested in the right technology, and equipment in the beginning, our production costs are lower than most, but because we use such quality materials and build such an advanced and complex product, it is no possible to do so at a lower price. We do realize that our shocks are nearly $100 more per shock than Axis or Elka, but we feel that the performance gain will be well worth the difference, and just to make sure you get your money worth, we are commited to backing up every customer with excellent customer service.

I thank you again for your e-mail, and I hope I have answered all your questions and given you a better understanding of our product and our company.

I have also attached a photo of one of our team riders (Wayne Matlock) from a testing session last week near the Superstition Mountains in California. Waynw was on the Bombardier Factory team for 2002, and is now on the ALBA Suzuki team for 2003.

If you have any questions I can help with, please feel free to send me an e-mail,

Jesse

MX26
02-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Extreme, once again, very well put. Hey I'm not out here to say that MotoWoz will make Axis and Elka feel like Works, I'm just saying that these shocks are VERY good quality. As you can plainly see by the email that Juggalo got, the guy knows what he's doing. He races a Leager Protrax 250R out in So. Cal, so the guy knows what works and what doesn't.

Rico and all others who jumped on the Elka boat: Once again, I'm not bashing Elka. I have rode an Elka equipped bike and it felt very good, but like Extreme said.. I've heard my fair share of "cons" on the suspension. Maybe they're setup problems or user error, but it seems like Elka owners are a little less happy than the PEP(just for legendary comparison) campers. Did Elka not just hike their prices up? I think the reason that so many people are backing them so religiously is because they were cheaper than anyone else. Nothing wrong with that AT ALL.

Back to the Elka problem subject. Elka is a relatively new company, and just like MotoWoz, they've got alot of money and time invested in R&D work, so logically they're gonna take VERY good care of their customers. They are also, unfortunately, going to have some upcoming problems. The way they will prove if they're a good company is how they deal with those problems. Temecula Motorsports has been running their shocks for a while, and if anyone knows anything about Temecula they will know that they require the elite, and they don't have to skip out on price. After all, that hellicopter that follows them to races costs a pretty penny to keep in the air;)

I'm sorry if anyone out there has any speculation that I didn't reply to.. Just skipped my mind.

MX26
02-07-2003, 04:37 PM
mrusk, Until that 250R of yours has bumped up against some starting gates, I will not bother replying to your unexperienced opinions.

beerock
02-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
5/8 shafts elkas and peps have 7/8
triple rate with zps elka and pep have that...
treaded shock shafts... elkas have those 2
and elkas don't even need the fatter lines bc they got piggy backs..
the elkas and peps also are about 5/8s the price of those things 2!!!!

they also to appear to have very skinny shafts on them in the pics...

there 5/8's tommy.

I have to say after reading the email.

these guys deserve the extra money, even though the shocks really should cost less. YOU ARE GETTING MORE!!!

NO ONE has the crossover ring like them. and that can make track set up a breeze.(if anyone can follow what he said about thier crossovers) that is definately a technological break through.

I still think Alot of people on this site think works are junk.
but there far from it.

of course if you compare a at steeler to a elka or pep, etc it wont perform as good.

put a works stadium, billit body against a elka tcs ETC and i bet it would be VERY hard to decide.

works have been around longer then anyone and have the only patented valving system.

those motowoz shocks sound liek they are better then anything out right now.

Dave400ex
02-07-2003, 05:12 PM
I have no doubt these Shocks are good, but some top Riders are going to have to ride them before they can get well known and some experience. The only thing I don't like is the Price. I think they should be able to sell the fronts for $1,100 at the most...

Doibugu2
02-07-2003, 05:24 PM
Did I miss something? Didn't the guy say his shock was going to be about $100 more than Elka? Wouldn't that make these shocks just over $1g? That doesn't seem to bad, compared to others. But it still is very expenesive.

Dave400ex
02-07-2003, 05:29 PM
The shocks are $1,400 for a front set and $1,400 for a rear.....

ridered03
02-07-2003, 05:37 PM
man evan though those are pretty pricey, they still look pretty damn good!!

02-07-2003, 06:22 PM
ill just stick with my PEP's:cool:

Those shocks look really nice and from what beerock said it sounds like they have some great features too.

beerock
02-07-2003, 08:01 PM
if they perform as good as the pep and axis I could almost garauntee that they will be changed over FAST.

that cross over feature makes changing the suspension set up form being a 30min to hour job to a 5-10 minute job.

that gives racers the ability to set there quads up that much better(or worse depending on mechanics susp knowledge)

racerx573
02-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
5/8 shafts elkas and peps have 7/8
triple rate with zps elka and pep have that...
treaded shock shafts... elkas have those 2
and elkas don't even need the fatter lines bc they got piggy backs..
the elkas and peps also are about 5/8s the price of those things 2!!!!

they also to appear to have very skinny shafts on them in the pics...

Actually PEP, Elka, Axis, TCS, and most other shocks use 5/8" shafts. The Works Steelers use 1/2".

Juggalo
02-07-2003, 10:22 PM
well i know now that when i get the money i am either going with moto woz or peps. at first i'll admit i was skeptical but after all that info i think those shocks are gonna rule.

MX26
02-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Tommy, you're slippin bro. 7/8 is 1/8" from being a full inch... And you KNOW that a 1" shaft won't do a dang bit of good.

Beerock, I must admit that I was reluctant to see what you had to say. Usually we don't see eye to eye, but I must say that your thread is one of the best replies on this message. I think you are SPOT ON with the Works comparison. The top of the line Works shocks are no slouches.

Also, if you guys will take note of the clicker(rebound adjustment) right above the bottom shock mount you will see that these shocks are built for serious ATV racers. Rebound is one of the key factors in shock performance, and with that simple clicker it can be perfected in seconds.

In the beginning of this thread I was just spreading the word about a hot new company with a sure-to-win product. Now that I have learned more, I believe my Ohlins will work just fine until I pull the finances together for some trick new BLUE shocks.

racerx573
02-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Anyone know if any pros will be running them?

racerx573
02-08-2003, 06:05 AM
BTW Elka raised their prices the beginning of this month, and Chad, I always love what you have to say, you hold strong points.

Extremeracer167
02-08-2003, 07:34 AM
Well, i had a set of the Works Pro series piggybakcs when they first came out. Actually when i got my shocks, i was one of the first ppl to get them around that i know of. I heard about them, and when i called they told me they werent quite done with them yet. And they told me they would call immediately when they were. Well about a week later i got a call from them so i ordered them. They were actually REALLY AWESOME shocks. I payed about 850 for them. And they were a litle stiff but not a really harsh ride. The faster i got with them, the more they worked good for me. But out of all the shocks i ever had, Works steelers, pro series, and now Axis, the pro series had the most adjustment. If u wanted to set those things up for MX, that compression adjuster was outstanding. If u turned it about 15 clicks from all the way soft, that thing was like a rock on the front end. And it worked AWESOME for jumping. I must say, that out of all the shocks ive rode on so far, Axis and the Pro series were the best. I didnt like the steelers at all and only had tehem for about 2 months. Then my buddy got some Elka Elites prob. around......april of last year, and we could NOT get them setup at all. Then he got a set of PEPs, and those are a nice ride. But hes saving up to buy some Axis now. SO i guess its all in how much u wanna pay to go fast. Im sure if these shocks work that good, you will see some pros on them very shortly. And as said b4, If Temecula is running them, then they are some good products, becuase they do usually run the best stuff out there.

Dave400ex
02-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Yeah I agree if they are good we should see some Pro's running them. From the sounds of it they are kind of built more around MX racing though, so I would like to see how they do in the Woods. The only down fall to these is the price. Hopefully if they start selling a lot of them they can lower the price. If Temecula runs them, they are good. Temecula doesn't have to worry about money.....

MXisFUN
02-08-2003, 09:42 AM
I know alot of you guys are just beginners on here and think that money can buy speed. Its all in the skill son, I have $600 in suspension and will smoke 95% of you guys on this forum. So just shut up, go ride, and keep those elbows up so you look like you know what you are doing. uuh yea check the signature... you might want to get used to that.

Extremeracer167
02-08-2003, 09:47 AM
wow congratulations, u must be the first true hard***** to grace these boards:rolleyes:

Dave400ex
02-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah I guess he has been roosted one to many times. He must not realize some of the guys that are on thise site. Dana Creech for example ;)

MXisFUN
02-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
wow congratulations, u must be the first true hard***** to grace these boards:rolleyes:

umm yea I don't think you guys want to mess with me.....

Extremeracer167
02-08-2003, 10:26 AM
mommys callin you for your peanut butter and jelly sandwich JR!

Jekyl_22
02-08-2003, 10:38 AM
I love this stuff...:D

beerock
02-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by MXisFUN
I know alot of you guys are just beginners on here and think that money can buy speed. Its all in the skill son, I have $600 in suspension and will smoke 95% of you guys on this forum. So just shut up, go ride, and keep those elbows up so you look like you know what you are doing. uuh yea check the signature... you might want to get used to that.

im not rippin on him. but maybe if he changed the post to
"alot of guys think money buys speed"
left out " beginner"
left out "ill smoke 95% of you"

left out "check the sig"

then his post would be more of a logical post. somethin like this.

I know alot of you guys are STILL LEARNING and think that money can buy speed. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT, I have $600 in suspension and can stay up with guys running $2000+ in suspension.So just shut up, go ride, and keep those elbows up.:D :D

QuadTrix6
02-08-2003, 12:18 PM
hey MX26 why do you care what people think of these shocks ? is it your company ? ill believe there better when i see them perform. they might be the best shock out there but so far i havn't seen any real evidence. anyone can say these shocks are gonna be the best and yea they might have some new good ideas but lets just see how well they hold up under real racing conditions...PEP is Race Proven....10+ years in the industry i think ill stick with them for now, can't seem to rationalize a better shock..no flame intended and i'm not calling you out mx26, thanks for the new product info ne way

surfer
02-08-2003, 12:45 PM
the fronts are roughly 1400$ and the rear is around 900$, here is a description from jesse, the partial owner of Motowoz

I am a pro ATV racer, and have been for about 10 years. My partner is a mechanical engineer who has worked for some of the most advanced off-road companies in the industry. I noticed that there was speculation that he worked for KING. Neither myself nor my partner has ever worked for KING Shocks. My partner did work as a design engineer for many years at another larger high performance off-road shock company.

I convinced my partner to join me in this venture in 2001 after being disappointed for years with the selection of ATV shocks available on the market. As a professional ATV racer it is very difficult to find an ATV shock that will perform that way I wanted it to. After working with many prototypes we finally developed the product that acheived the goals I had set that I thougth would make this the best shock in the industry. We have been testing our shocks for over a year (somewhat secretely).

Let me tell you a little about the shocks.

Shafts...
Our shafts our 5/8 inch diameter. This has become pretty standard now among the high-end shocks. I don't know of anyone who is using a 7/8 inch shaft. This is huge. There really is no need to have a shaft that big. Besides, it would be very heavy.

Bodies...
Like the rest of our parts, Our bodies were designed by us from scratch for ATV racing. They are (like all our parts) manufactured by us on state of the art CNC machines right here in the USA. Our bodies are threaded from one end to the other with "Stub Acme" threads for durability and longevity.

Preload...
Preload confuses a lot of people. Although "Zero-Preload" is a big buzz word these days, most people are a little confused about what it means. Zero-Preload would mean that the spring on a shock is not compressed at all when the shock is extended. If this were really true, the spring would be loose, and even rattle. In reality, set-ups that are called Zero-Preload are really just multiple rate shocks that start with a very soft initial spring that has a lot of sag, and "very little pre-load". Our shocks also run this way, but do have a threaded pre-load adjuster so that should you choose to add pre-load to them, you always have that choice. There are circumstances where adding pre-load will really improve your ride.

Hoses...
We get a lot of questions about these. First let me explain the average steel braides hose. Steel braided hoses are simply steel braided strands around a plastic hose. If this hose is bent too tight, the inner plastic hose can kink, and the remain kinked even when the hose is straightened out again. Because of the external steel braids, you would probably never notice this. Our hose is made of two layers of rubber, and two layers of steel strands. All this is covered by a "textile" braid (blue). This is the same type of hose used on expensive off-road race cars. It's used for a reason. It's very tough. This is really a secondary reason why we use this hose though. You may already know this part, but I'll explain it anyway. The volume of oil that must travel from a shock to a reservoir is the exact same volume as the shaft that enters the shock. Anothe way to say it is this... A shock is already full of oil, so when you hit a bump, and the shaft goes into the shock, it must force out that much oil to make room for the shaft. In the old days, shafts were small, and short. (We now have much longer travel). This all means that much more oil must tavel from the shock to the reservoir. Well, oil can only travel through a small hose so fast, so at times when you hit a high speed bump, the shaft can only enter the shock as fast as the oil can get through the hose. This means that hour hose diameter can start to limit your shaft speed, and your shocks can't move fast enough to absorb fast hits. That's why we went to a larger hose so that we can control shaft speed with the shock valving like it's intended to.

Cross-overs...
When building multi spring shocks, you must control how much each spring can work. Most companies do this with cross-over spacers. If you place a spacer between two spring guides, the spring can only compress to the size of the spacer. This works pretty well. By replacing the spacer with a shorter spacer, the spring can compress further. This is the MOST effective adjustment you can make to the feel of your shocks. The problem is that you must take your shocks off your bike, then springs off the shocks to change this spacer. Then you also have to ahve the right size spacer. We have improved this area by replacing the spacers with threaded lock rings. In order to change the amount a "tender" spring can compress, you simply adjust the threaded cross-over rings the way you would a threaded pre-load ring. Just few turns really makes a difference you can feel. The top set of cross-over rings mostly affects the ride height. The lower set will control how soft you want your ride.

Over-all design. many of the ATV shocks today were designed for something else. Many of the shocks that have been around a while were originally designed for motorcycles when they used two in the back. Other new companies are selling snow-mobile shocks as ATV shocks, Others are using shocks or parts of shocks that were designed for Nascar or Indy Cars. We set out to design and build shocks that are for ATVs.

As you can probably see, a lot of time and testing went into making these shocks what they are. Aside from building a shock that is better, we originally wanted to also make a shock that was a little less expensive. I admit it. We failed there. Because myself and my partner have such intimate knowledge of the industry, and we invested in the right technology, and equipment in the beginning, our production costs are lower than most, but because we use such quality materials and build such an advanced and complex product, it is no possible to do so at a lower price. We do realize that our shocks are nearly $100 more per shock than Axis or Elka, but we feel that the performance gain will be well worth the difference, and just to make sure you get your money worth, we are commited to backing up every customer with excellent customer service.

beerock
02-08-2003, 01:11 PM
um that was already said:chinese:

Ralph
02-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by beerock
um that was already said:chinese:

lol i guess they have prewriten answers...

muff
02-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Lrd Mx400ex
lol i guess they have prewriten answers...

yea i guess so, I dont blame him tho, it'd take me forever to remember to say all of that stuff

BadA$$440
02-08-2003, 06:03 PM
i think i will buy works pro seriers or TCS shocks instead of $2,800 shocks that i have never seen before. Im not fast enough to pay that much for shockscuz i know it wont make me THAT much faster. Now if i wont the lottery evey week, then would consider buying them ( maybe a couple pairs:D ) but until that happens, i will settle for works ( or TCS ). Im sorry, but i think $1,200 is ALOT for 3 shocks, never mind $2800., i could buy a used 400ex for that price

p.s. not faming anyone, just stating my opinion

ill_lil_romey
02-08-2003, 08:38 PM
After reading this post it leads me to the conclusion that the marketing world has us all brainwashed!! A few threads back I say someone say that back when works were the best they were only 400-600 and some people said that they would never pay over a grand for shocks, but really look where we are now! And the production of things now is not even labor intinsive with all the machines and computers out there to do the work! WOW 80 bucks for head studs 500 for a complete pipe 320 for a slip on 1400 for suspension, JUST FOR THE FRONT OR BACK? WTF have we come to guys?:huh

Tommy 17
02-08-2003, 08:57 PM
some reason i was thinkin 7/8 not 5/8:o im a dumb@$$ i know haha

Ralph
02-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by ill_lil_romey
After reading this post it leads me to the conclusion that the marketing world has us all brainwashed!! A few threads back I say someone say that back when works were the best they were only 400-600 and some people said that they would never pay over a grand for shocks, but really look where we are now! And the production of things now is not even labor intinsive with all the machines and computers out there to do the work! WOW 80 bucks for head studs 500 for a complete pipe 320 for a slip on 1400 for suspension, JUST FOR THE FRONT OR BACK? WTF have we come to guys?:huh

...LEts STRIKE:huh :huh

MX26
02-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
hey MX26 why do you care what people think of these shocks ? is it your company ? ill believe there better when i see them perform. they might be the best shock out there but so far i havn't seen any real evidence. anyone can say these shocks are gonna be the best and yea they might have some new good ideas but lets just see how well they hold up under real racing conditions...PEP is Race Proven....10+ years in the industry i think ill stick with them for now, can't seem to rationalize a better shock..no flame intended and i'm not calling you out mx26, thanks for the new product info ne way

Yeah.. It's MY company... I just fly out to Southern California when I wanna work on the shocks and then fly back here to take my classes, job, and sit behind the computer.:huh

No.. Really. I was just spreading the word about a hot new product that I'm sure of. Surfer is my information source. He praises(and rides) them, so they've got to be good.

I was wrong in my initial pricing. I guess I misunderstood it somewhere. $1400 for front shocks and $900 for the rear.. Wow. TCS and Axis are running $1200 for the front and $1200 for the rear aren't they? Take a calculator to it and you're only paying $100 more. Hey I'm not positive on the prices, but that's what I had stuck in my head.

Also everyone that jumped on MXisFun.. I know the guy. Don't be so quick to reply with those remarks. I'm sure he can throw a little roost in your face... That is, unless you're faster than Johnny Hale

MXisFUN
02-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Jekyl_22
I love this stuff...:D

dude you're not the only one! the only reason I am on this forum is to make some jokes and mess around with you guys. c'mon you know you liked it! those shocks do look pretty awesome and good suspension ACTUALLY DOES make a big difference. oh yea I forgot to mention I ride a bike and am sponsored by a shop that does race tech suspension therefore that why it only cost me $600 in suspension work, for the best stuff they make. so I really do have awesome suspension too :-D anyways guys it was fun and I might hop on here every now and then to see whats up in the quad world. keep it real, have fun, and stay safe! later, Jake

BadA$$440
02-09-2003, 07:52 AM
TCS and Axis are running $1200 for the front and $1200 for the rear aren't they?

AXIS fronts cost that much. TCS are $850 for long travels, Axis rear is about $800. And TCS rear is also $850, i dont knw who you buy your shocks from but if your paying that much then your getting RIPPED

MX26
02-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Bad*****440
AXIS fronts cost that much. TCS are $850 for long travels, Axis rear is about $800. And TCS rear is also $850, i dont knw who you buy your shocks from but if your paying that much then your getting RIPPED

Thanks for the latest breaking news, Dan Rather. I really appreciate YOU telling ME how much I should pay for shocks?

Dave400ex
02-09-2003, 08:56 AM
Yes the TCS are $850 for front and rear. The PEP ZPS are $900 for front and rear. Then the Dual Adj/Triple Rate Axis fronts are $1,325. The Dual Adj/Dual Rate Axis rear is $925. Triple Rate Comp. and Rebound adjust Elka fronts are $1,000. Single Rate Comp. and Rebound adjust Elka rear is $725. Now Elka and Axis both have even higher priced Shocks yet I believe, but that is the best K&K had. So TCS is cheapest, then Elka, then PEP, Axis, and Moto Woz.

Extremeracer167
02-09-2003, 09:41 AM
Actually, the custom Axis fronts are only 1225, and the long travel fronts are 1325. And the Axis rear shock long travel with compression and dual rate is 775. Now those are all retail prices. ANd i believe that the Elka rear shock is a tad more then the Axis.

Dave400ex
02-09-2003, 09:49 AM
I just got the prices off K&K's site and those were the highest ones they had listed. I know Elka has a more expensive rear...

QuadTrix6
02-09-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by MX26
Yeah.. It's MY company... I just fly out to Southern California when I wanna work on the shocks and then fly back here to take my classes, job, and sit behind the computer.:huh

No.. Really. I was just spreading the word about a hot new product that I'm sure of. Surfer is my information source. He praises(and rides) them, so they've got to be good.

I was wrong in my initial pricing. I guess I misunderstood it somewhere. $1400 for front shocks and $900 for the rear.. Wow. TCS and Axis are running $1200 for the front and $1200 for the rear aren't they? Take a calculator to it and you're only paying $100 more. Hey I'm not positive on the prices, but that's what I had stuck in my head.

Also everyone that jumped on MXisFun.. I know the guy. Don't be so quick to reply with those remarks. I'm sure he can throw a little roost in your face... That is, unless you're faster than Johnny Hale

:rolleyes:

dezertfreak
02-09-2003, 10:35 AM
if its true that one of the owners used to design shocks for off road trucks (aka trophy trucks) then were all in for a pleasant suprise.
shock technology in trucks is far more advanced than shocks for quads. technology cost money
back in 1986 when i bought my 200X for $1800 brand new, ida never thought i pay $5600 in 2002 for an extra wheel and some more HP

Juggalo
02-09-2003, 11:30 AM
the guy said that that rumor wasn't true....

Juggalo
02-09-2003, 11:35 AM
i just got another great e-mail from jesse. so far this guy is really impressing me. quick responses and he answers all my questions in an informative and polite manner. i really want a set of these guys (what can i say? i'm a sucker for great customer service and a new trick product).

David,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I was lucky to be able to
spend a really nice weekend at Glamis.

Our shock sizes can be any length. We do have plenty of 16.25 inches in the
shop, and plenty of 19, and 19.25. Since we make our own parts, we try to
keep several different lengths of shafts and bodies in stock. That means we
can assemble them in different combinations to acheive a wide range of
length and travel combinations. We are also capable of making truly custom
shocks for a one off application.

Travel.
Our front shocks do have rebound adjusters. Our rebound adjuster is very
compact. This allows us to build a shock WITH a rebound adjuster, and still
have more travel in the same over-all length than most of our competitors.

Sponsored riders...
Yes, We would like to work with a few talented racers across the country.
We feel that having a good group of competition level riders to work with is
the key to improving our product, and keeping in contact with the sport. We
really enjoy working with individuals who truly love the sport of ATVing and
have a positive attitude.

OK, let me also fill you in on our short-comings. We are a new company. Our
product is top notch, and well tested. Unfortunately, we haven't found the
extra time to complete small details like packaging, owners-manual, dealer
information packets etc... We have the shocks ready to go, but a lot more
work has to be done in order to be ready to fill "mass" orders. I have been
holding out from advertising, finishing the website, press releases and
similar "marketing" type tasks, because we really need to get some of this
auxiliary stuff wrapped up. So I really appreciate the inquiries, and I am
really looking forward to working with some good racers, but I just wanted
to keep things honest. There are a few things (I consider them minor) that
aren't in line yet.

Thanks again for you inquiry, I hope I have answered your questions.

Jesse

terko440
02-09-2003, 12:17 PM
Just so everyone is up to date on pricing guys, I am sure that TCS shocks are now $750 because of the fact they now use their own parts rather than someone else's. So if you notice any dealers out there that havent brought down their prices yet either throw that in their face or just call TCS direct like you should anyways. OUT!

300EX_HMF
02-09-2003, 12:44 PM
all you guys look at that pic with the quad with them shocks on it! do those a-arms look stock????? i dont think they are because you can see on the upper left a-arm, there is one of those tow in adjuster things(right beside the wheel) and you can also tell by the way the shock is bolted up on the a-arms! what im trying to say is maybe you guys are over exagerating about the price of the shocks! and just maybe it comes with a-arms!! and them brake lines, those dont look stock either, if i remeber, most stock quads come with black break lines.