PDA

View Full Version : New chain on +1.25 swing arm???

Scott400EX
02-06-2003, 04:02 PM
I have my swing arm and axle installed and have a renthal R-3 520 o ring chain on it with 96 links. and i have 16/37 sprockets.
i had it at 98 links and it was too long and wouldnt take up the slack by turning the carrier
And its seems like its very tight hardly any slack in it at all.
I just want so opinions on why its so tight. Did ido somthing wrong?
Im sure it will stretch some after its been on there a while but is it ok to ride on it till it stretches when the chain is purty tight? you might can move it 5 or 6 mm up or down.

gimme some input

400MXer
02-06-2003, 04:25 PM
did ya try 97links?????

i'm kinda curious on the answer to this too because i'm ordering an RPM +1 1/4 swingarm and i would like to know how many links it takes too.

02-06-2003, 05:04 PM
On a +1.25 swingarm the chain requires 2 more links than stock...

tprender
02-06-2003, 06:34 PM
You can only do a chain in even links to get the pins to match up. Keep moving the carier around to get some kind of slack in the chain. If's it to thight the chain will break when the swingarm compresses.

Scott400EX
02-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Yeah i know about the compression thing and the chain breaking. I have the carrier as far foreward as it will go. the LSR carrier i have has a flange on the sode of it so that it stops turning when it gets to a certain point. and its at that point. This is a brand new chain so its going to stretch some. But i jsut need to know if you guys think its safe to ride it like it is? it have some play in it but not a lot. maybe 1/4 inch. Ive also sat on the quad and tried compressing the rear shock to see what the chain does. and it doesnt look too bad.

just gimme your input.

Stock length chain is 94 links, i have 96 now, and it was not easy to put on. i had to put it on the sprocket and use one of the sprocket mount bolts and turn the axle to get the sprocket to fully mount to the hub. It was a pain. But its on.
I had 98 links in the chain before i cut it and there was way too much slack for the carrier to take up.
Should i ride it and hope the chain stretches? or use the other new chain i have and see the difference?

Quadfather
02-06-2003, 08:24 PM
I just installed an RPM +1 1/4 swingarm, with stock gearing. I had a new 100 link chain, and I had to cut off 2 links, and it's perfect.