PDA

View Full Version : truck help..

fasterblaster09
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Well I just bought a truck today, it is a 1996 dodge ram 1500 single cab, with the 5.9 liter magnum (the 360). It has 175k miles. The truck runs and drives good, except when in overdrive, and ONLY in overdrive, it starts to shake between about 45-55 mph if you drive at a steady speed. The guy said he had a compression test done and said one of the cylinders isn't firing. He doens't know why, he's just been driving it for the past year like that since he's had it. You can be driving with overdrive on, and while its shaking, just simply turn off the overdrive and it all of a sudden stops shaking and runs smooth. any ideas on where to start?? thanks, neil

and any suggestions on a cheap place to get tires? and maybe rims too? some american racing type rims, with wide tires.

CJM
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
It is possible a tire/wheel is bent/unbalanced, but I doubt that since it only shakes at the speed when your torque converter locks up.

Cylinder not firing wont cause that, thats torque converter shudder-means your torque converter is probably toast. Welcome to why dodge trucks are cheap-the trans always fails. its doing it at 45+ mph b/c thats when your torque converter would normally be locking up and going into overdrive and shutting off OD unlocks the converter.

Do this: there is a check valve on the trans line, take it off and blow it out with air or remove it and patch with some trans line hose. This may help. You can also remove the trans pan and change out all the actuators and solenoids in the valve body and flush the trans-may or may not help.

Most likely you will need a rebuilt/new trans and torque converter. If you have the cash have a shop build you a HD trans and you wont have any issues again most likely.

As for the cylinder not firing-could be a bad wire, plug, distributor, distributor cap, injector, or a sensor. If the check engine lights on have it scanned at autozone and it will tell you whats wrong there.

But really dude your trans is probably toast like the other dozens of dodges Ive worked on int he past 10+ years.

fasterblaster09
09-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Just what I need, sold my car the other day because I got screwed with a bad tranny, so I buy this so I can have a ride to work and wala, again. I will just drive it as long as it goes. Ill just switch to overdrive on the highway when going above 55 or 60. thanks, ill pass by autozone tomorrow just to check

bbender85
09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
x2 on the tq convertor, especially considering the year of dodge (not trying to be a anti-dodge smartazz either).

while on the subject, DON'T have the tranny flushed.... fluid and filter change, sure, but a flush will flush out all the sediment that are keeping the tolerances between meshing parts decent on that older tranny.

CJM
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by bbender85

while on the subject, DON'T have the tranny flushed.... fluid and filter change, sure, but a flush will flush out all the sediment that are keeping the tolerances between meshing parts decent on that older tranny.

At this point its not going to matter really if he flushes it or not-I bet 100 bucks the trans itself is toast anyways.

But in reality, like I said find a reputable shop and drop coin on a well built trans they make for you-not some rebuilt one they just got laying around.

slightlybent47
09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
It sound like CJM is spot on, and it sounds like you may have to do like you say and shift manually for now. I hope it holds together for you, I know it sucks when that happends.

wilkin250r
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
The guy said he had a compression test done and said one of the cylinders isn't firing.

I don't know about the trans. But how in the world will a compression test tell you whether the cylinder is firing or not?

I assume you (or the original owner) meant low compression, right? Firing or not is a spark issue, not a compression issue.

CJM
09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't know about the trans. But how in the world will a compression test tell you whether the cylinder is firing or not?

I assume you (or the original owner) meant low compression, right? Firing or not is a spark issue, not a compression issue.

Low compression can be many things:
1. Bad headgasket
2. bad rings/piston
3. rings could not be seating right and gas is just washing them out
etc.

More pressing issue is the trans, he can run on 7cyl..but the trans will eventually totally fail and leave him stranded. I ran a 96 E150 302 on I would guess 6 out of 8 cyl for sometime, it drove horrible and just sounded like crap but I had no choice (long story).

fasterblaster09
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
after driving it more, it does run rough. And I just found out, it didn't come with the 5.9, it came with the 3.9 and they swapped out a 5.9 into it. I will enjoy whats left of it if it is the transmission, I had fun burning the neighbors mustang yesterday lol. the check engine light doesnt come on, like someone took out the bulb or its burnt, so I went to autozone and they said it wasn't pulling any codes.

CJM
09-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Ah well this is interesting, so its swapped with a 5.9L... I love when people dont tell you that kinda stuff.

Autozones junk might not tell you real stream info like a snap on modis/solus will.

I would enjoy it while it lasts, it may or may not have many issues later depending on how they did the swap.

fasterblaster09
09-15-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes well lthe guy I bought it from didn't know it had a 3.9, I had brought it to my uncle to show him and when he looked at the tag under the hood it said 3.9L, I felt like an idiot and just got done telling him how it sucked lots of gas and had good power, well when I got home I went double check and it sure had 8 plugs, so I called the guy I got it from and he thought it had came with the 5.9. It does feel like its from the motor shaking, if I had to guess from driving it.

fasterblaster09
09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
well I sold the truck today, I just couldn't afford the gas lol... I wasnt getting better than 10 mpg I know for sure. I had never had a vehicle with such a big motor and it was fun while it lasted, though I know My back tires wouldnt have lasted too long, I've mostly owned small cars. So im going back to a civic, I found a 94civic hatch si im probably getting tomorrow for 1500 for until I finish school and get a good job. Just thought I'd post a pic of the truck that i'll miss burning 'em up.

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/cto/1962228952.html

CJM
09-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Such as the way owning a truck is. poor mpg comes with the territory for gassers.

On the plus side, you dumped your problem on soemone else and dont have to worry about it.

fasterblaster09
09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
well the deal with the civic fell through. tomorrow morning im going check out a little 93 nissan pickup ext cab, 177k miles, standard, and no a/c which is a little depressing lol. they're asking $1200 negotiable

CJM
09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
well the deal with the civic fell through. tomorrow morning im going check out a little 93 nissan pickup ext cab, 177k miles, standard, and no a/c which is a little depressing lol. they're asking $1200 negotiable

AC could be added, those little nissans aint half bad either.

fasterblaster09
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
and the bed is slightly wrecked on the right side. I just need something reliable to get me to and from school for the next 2 months. I will see if I can get it for about $900. They said the a/c blows, just not cold.