PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk tires

ctdiesel99
09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Okay i need new tires. I have 22x11x9's on the rear right now, which are the ones i'll be replacing, and they are maxxis razr's. I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, as in if at all possible i'd like to keep it close to $100 for both rear tires. My question is what sizes should i be looking for and what would the benfit be of dropping down to a 20x10x9 (just for an example)? what other sizes should i be looking at, and what brand/style tire? i ride in fields alot, trails whenever i can get to them maybe 8-10 times a year, and on the road more than i'd like haha. so what would be the best all around tire for me without breaking my bank account? also who seems to have the cheapest/best deals online. I realize price/quality are directly related to each other, but im in the process of fixing this quad up, and don't have a whole lot of spare cash after all the other upgrades. Thanks in advance.

honda400ex2003
09-12-2010, 07:44 PM
you could check out some gbc x rex tires. they are the off brand razr and are supposed to be pretty sweet. Im not sure how much they are though. since you do alot of road riding, i am going to suggest to stay away from any holeshot. they are really soft and will wear really quick on pavement. my razrs have many road miles on them are almost new still. i like my 20s but that is preference imo. i had 22s on my 250 and they ballooned too much for me and had too much roll. I like the looks and the predictability of the 20s. the 18s are alright but too small for your case. i guess that is a starting base for you. steve

exrpnt
09-12-2010, 07:51 PM
smaller tires get better acceleration with a lower top speed and a little less ground clearance where a taller tire has more ground clearance with less acceleration higher top speed, personally i run 6 ply holeshots 21x10x9 i think its a pretty good size but it all depends on what kind of riding you do and where you do it, also ive a few pairs of kenda dominators which are a very resonable price, but they are only 4 ply,

ctdiesel99
09-12-2010, 07:53 PM
thanks for the input guys, keep it coming. i found these on ebay, and i like the price of them!!! item number: 110584715105

honda400ex2003
09-12-2010, 07:57 PM
yammi 450 or honda 450 stock backs. they are supposed to be pretty good also with that style of lug on them. steve

Ian400ex
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by exrpnt
smaller tires get better acceleration with a lower top speed and a little less ground clearance where a taller tire has more ground clearance with less acceleration higher top speed, personally i run 6 ply holeshots 21x10x9 i think its a pretty good size but it all depends on what kind of riding you do and where you do it, also ive a few pairs of kenda dominators which are a very resonable price, but they are only 4 ply,
Can't forget center of gravity (stability) in relevance to size.

jimmyjam400ex
09-15-2010, 07:48 AM
artrax mx trax 20 10 9 from motosport awsome tire had them on all summer n still look new n i do alotta road riding between trails this size is also verry nice on a 400 less balooning out n stiff side wall with the 10s n the r 92 from motosport find ur self a hat on sale for 8$ n evrything over 99$ is shipped free

CJM
09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Kenda Klaw XC 20x11x9. So far no issues at all, I like them alot as they hook up well in all types of terrain.

Chuck75
09-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I run a set of razor2 out back on my 97 and to tell the truth I dont really like them. its real good in soft sand and deep mud but cookin down the trails and tring slide the rear around is a little difficult and then theres the whole track riding. the local tracks say I would cause too much damage to the track. it sucks. I would trade them if someone was interested.

mkp
09-29-2010, 05:09 AM
When we have to take a decision about our car or bike it is always safe to get some suggestions from experts because everyday newer kinds of accessories are hitting the market. When we plan to get a new set of tires many considerations should be kept in mind. The size of the tire is an important criterion. If we use it often for the ride on fields, then Kenda Klaw XC should be the option. For good speeds, smaller tires are the best.

finsteratv
09-29-2010, 01:07 PM
i run stock 450r tires and im thinking about cst ambush's next. there by the same company that owns maxxis and ive heard great things about them. plus they are very well priced. with 20's in my opinion theyre more predictable when sliding etc. the 22's and have more roll and give you a higher center of gravity id go for 20's.