PDA

View Full Version : offroad toy?

racer36
09-12-2010, 04:58 PM
so im looking for a cheap off road toy, but cannot decide on what id want. ive been looking at samurais, trackers, s10s, just wondered if any of you guys had any input or experience with trackers or samurais. im leaning towards a smaller vehicle if there is any recomendations out there.

thanks

CJM
09-12-2010, 05:22 PM
jeep or toyota, there is no other real offroad toy imho in the compact size class. you want fullsize gm/ford.

Cheapest will be a jeep, but the toyota imho has better and stronger axles despite the frontend being independent suspension. Jeep does have the most aftermarket and is easy to mod tho.

I used to wheel toyotas with a passion. STOCK ones, basically just all terrain tires went places you wouldnt believe. Add a small lift and some mudders and they are unstoppable except in rockcrawling.

honda400ex2003
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
it all depends on if it is a weekend type of deal or not. for short wheeling trips anything will work. if you want to wheel for a whole weekend somewhere get a truck. you can load it up a bit easier with spare parts, tires, food, essentials. jeeps are the easiest to get lifts for as cjm said along with toyotas. they can be very capable if driven right. I think if i was gonna do one i would either go with a FSC OBS and go all out with cages and such or s10 zr2 model to start as a base if i was on a budget. it is lifted a bit already so it is at least capable off the bat and small enough to climb and has a good power plant with the v6. just my .02 though look on craigs or something and see what interests you most. something that catches your eye will be the decision maker i think. if you like it, anything can be modded. :devil: steve

racer36
09-18-2010, 05:38 AM
thanks guys, and yeah, i am kind of on a budget and this will be a trailered weekend toy, mostly to bundy hill if you guys have heard of it. I ended up taking my truck there to see what its like and ended up with a broke cv shaft (stupid lifted ifs chevy) and really would like to keep from doing that or anything else major to my daily driver. oh and the toyota idea, are we talking trucks?

CJM
09-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Yea toyota trucks man. Cant get anymore reliable than 22re fuel injected 4 banger (6cyl from 89-95 is so so most have head gasket issues cause they were designed for asbestos gaskets that of course cant be used now)

IFS or not they are very capable totally stock with like 31 or 32 in tires. I prefer them to jeeps b/c the running gear is stronger stock than the wimpy stock axles jeeps use.

www.ultimateyota.com Register there poke around-were a good bunch.

brian76708
09-20-2010, 12:17 PM
buy this definitely worth 6gs and is more then capable.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=184043

racer36
09-27-2010, 05:10 AM
that is one sweet ranger, but i dont have 6 grand, my daily driver is only worth 3500. haha

JTRtrx250r
09-30-2010, 05:13 PM
mines a 1st gen toyota (79)

we have a love/hate relationship:D

rcer450r
10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Just bought a jeep wrangler and took it off roading this weekend, it was a blast! Had water over the hood in a river had it over logs, stumps, in mud...etc never had one problem with it. They are great off-road vehicles imo. and are cheap to mod and still great to use as an every day driver. All depends on what you want to get though.

Dirtjunkie85
10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
I've got an 86 toyota pickup 5 spd single cab. I just did the solid axle swap last year and i'm surprised with how smooth it rides. It's nice and can go pretty much everyhwhere. Theres a couple things if i could i would def change and thats having extended cab and having a fuel injected engine. Other than that i'm very happy with my yota and i would totally recommend for anyone wanting something fun and reliable.

CJM
10-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by rcer450r
Just bought a jeep wrangler and took it off roading this weekend, it was a blast! Had water over the hood in a river had it over logs, stumps, in mud...etc never had one problem with it. They are great off-road vehicles imo. and are cheap to mod and still great to use as an every day driver. All depends on what you want to get though.

Dont go thru water that deep to much, your air intake is right smack dab on top nearly touching your hood.

rcer450r
10-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Dont go thru water that deep to much, your air intake is right smack dab on top nearly touching your hood.

Haha yeah I know, it wasnt deep enough to suck any water in but I took some precaution in crossing back over it cause it did scare me the first time I went through. Was deeper than it looked.