PDA

View Full Version : clutch not disengaging

JohnBeton
09-12-2010, 01:22 PM
A couple of weeks ago I trade one of my quadzilla's for an extra '87 250r.
The previous owner said it needed work but the engine had a fresh rebuild, except it had an electrical problem.

well... fresh rebuild my ***.
It has new crankbearings, seals and new piston.
But the counterbalancer was not alligned at all, there was no colar on the crankshaft between the seal !!, only 4 clutchsprings, ofcourse because the broke off one of those little arms of the inner clutch basket (where you have to bolt on the clutchsprings), ... ...

Lucky me I have got enough spare parts so I fixed everything up. But now the clutch doesn't disengage enough.
If I pul the clutch the clutch arm is almost turned all the way before the pressureplate moves ...
I know with '86 engines you have a small ball that goes in after the clutch shaft, but after '86 they don't have that.

Does any one know what I can try ? Or what might be wrong ?
I checked all schemes and the manual and everything is in place like it should be now.

Honda 250r 001
09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
The clutch pressure plate can only go one one correct way, it will slide on 5 ways, but only one will actually work. This may be your problem. You may need to remove the pressure plate and rotate it on the inner hub and see if its lining up with the inner hub.

JohnBeton
09-13-2010, 02:16 AM
tnx, I checked this, but this wasn't the problem.

Honda 250r 001
09-13-2010, 06:18 AM
So when you pull the lever nothing happens on your 250r correct? IT keeps going as if you never pulled the clutch? could be worn clutch rod, worn clutch arm, stretched clutch cable.

JohnBeton
09-13-2010, 06:24 AM
hi, no not exactly like that, i'll try to explain better (my english is not so good, i'm from belgium).

The engine is opened up to fix all mistakes by the previous owner.
When I manually pull the clutch arm, it's beyond the point the cable could possible pull before the pressure plate moves.

My idea is that the clutch rod is to short. But I have 2 spare rods and they are the same length. Only difference I noticed is that this rod has a groove machined on one side...
My 2nd idea was that they used a '86 clutch assembly, which is slightly different, but everything looks like '87 and up :s

JohnBeton
09-13-2010, 06:49 AM
ok, i was just checking the part schemes on bikebandit, seems like the rod with the groove in it needs a circlips in the groove and a little steel ball inbetween :rolleyes:
Gues the guy that rebuild this engine lost those pieces together with some other parts that weren't there anymore :p

So I'm off to my honda dealer

86 Quad R
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
if you can swing it. try and get the "89 update kit" for the clutch. it'll have everthing you need.

Pumashine
09-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by JohnBeton
So I'm off to my honda dealer

Hey John, if all you need is the steel ball I have a handful of them. You dont need the push rod with the circlip. The pushrods you have will work fine. I can mail you one if you want.

I am all for the 89 update. You can get them on ebay for around $80. Will fix your problem and give you a better working mechanism.

JohnBeton
09-14-2010, 02:23 AM
tnx pumashine, i found one with my dealer yesterday, the problem is allready fixed :)