PDA

View Full Version : blocked oil line?

MidnightBlade
09-12-2010, 12:21 PM
i started my quad for about a minute and checked the oil, it was about a 1/8 quart too much. ok, so i clean the carb and make sure the float valve is clean. thats all good so i start it again and forgot i had the choke on full. so took the choke off and started it and shut it off again, this time when i take the oil cap off the tank is over full to the point where it is coming out the dipstick hole. i have no clue what is wrong

dalejiw25
09-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Your bike should be at operating temp when you check the oil. Let it warm up and check it again.

MidnightBlade
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
i did

dalejiw25
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmmmm... I don't know, Never encountered that problem.

CJM
09-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Only time ive ever seen oil flw out of the tank was on a friends where the idiot must have checked the oil with it cold and added like 1-2qts to much.

hellshot00
09-12-2010, 01:27 PM
i dont know how true this is what i was told by the dealership wen i got my 400 but since the oil tank is external whenever you hit the throttle and rev it before checking the oil more of it will go into your crankcase causing it to look lower then it is so before checking the oil let it idle for 5 mins and dont hit the throttle at all correct me if im wrong though

guenther
09-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Let it idle for about 5 minutes and don't hit the throttle at all after started. Shut it off and then check.

tri5ron
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Interesting,
I am subscribing to this thread to see how this develops, and what is determined to be the cause.
I hope that Guenthers suggestion will show that you have nothing wrong.
Good luck.

togup
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
if it keeps spewing out the dip stick check your crank case vent at your air box

spurrinit
09-13-2010, 05:51 AM
How do you let it idle for 5 min without hitting the throttle? Mine will never idle when cold. Once it warms up it idles great.

dalejiw25
09-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by spurrinit
How do you let it idle for 5 min without hitting the throttle? Mine will never idle when cold. Once it warms up it idles great.

I believe you answered your own question here. Think about it.

dalejiw25
09-13-2010, 07:41 AM
The key words here are "Operating temperatures". How you get it to operating temp is your business. once it is at operating temp, let er idle a few minutes, Shut er down and check the oil. I check my oil pretty much hourly, or time permitting, whether I'm racin it or runnin the trails Just for peace of mind. This way I know if I've sprung a leak somewhere I'm not seeing while riding, Maybe got a ring goin bad and can't see the smoke behind me, What's the general condition of my oil, Any metal shavings, Clutch wear, There are more reasons to check your oil frequently than to not. JMO.

MidnightBlade
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
well i think im about haf retarted, pulled my oil lines, nothing. ok, erm... called my buddy who is a bike mechanic he told me to check my oil lines whick i just did, then he told me to check the oil filter. went to the garage, opened the oil filter cap and... HOLY CRAP...slugde...oh well its time for an oil change anyway. lol. drained all the oil, cleaned the oil filter and housing, filtered the used oil through paint filter to get out any dirt. had an empty quart bottle laying around, filled it up twice and dumped her in (didnt go to wally-world to get oil yet) i did have about an 1/8 quart too much oil in there the first time but that wasnt the problem.

tri5ron
09-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
well i think im about haf retarted, pulled my oil lines, nothing. ok, erm... called my buddy who is a bike mechanic he told me to check my oil lines whick i just did, then he told me to check the oil filter. went to the garage, opened the oil filter cap and... HOLY CRAP...slugde...oh well its time for an oil change anyway. lol. drained all the oil, cleaned the oil filter and housing, filtered the used oil through paint filter to get out any dirt. had an empty quart bottle laying around, filled it up twice and dumped her in (didnt go to wally-world to get oil yet) i did have about an 1/8 quart too much oil in there the first time but that wasnt the problem.
sludge ? Sludge ??, SLUDGE ???
Paint filter ?,
Cleaned a sludged out oil filter,
(how the hell do you do THAT,... and then you can look in the mirror ?) then REUSED it?
Put old oil back in?

Please tell me your kidding here,.... PLEASE !

guenther
09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
cleaned the oil filter and housing, filtered the used oil through paint filter to get out any dirt. had an empty quart bottle laying around, filled it up twice and dumped her in

Oh hell to the hell to the hell no you didn't! Drain that crap back out and let it sit until you can put a fresh filter and oil in it.

CJM
09-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by guenther
Oh hell to the hell to the hell no you didn't! Drain that crap back out and let it sit until you can put a fresh filter and oil in it.

yea, wtf man DO not put that crap back in there!

Why on earth would it be crapped up like that unless you aint changed it in forever??? Imagine the sludge that might be hiding inside!

guenther
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
MidnightBlade this is what I think you should do.

1. DRAIN THAT CRAP BACK OUT NOW!!!
2. Buy 4 new filters and 2 gallons of Rotella T 15W40. All can be found at Wal-Mart.
3. Add new filter and 2 quarts fresh oil. Ride the quad for 15 minutes pretty hard through all the gears several times and change the oil and filter.
4. Repeat #3 a total of 4 times.

This will cost you about $40 to do.

tri5ron
09-14-2010, 09:31 PM
you better start thinking about a full on engine flush with solvent, (RISLONE), drain, reflush WITH FRESH OIL, drain, refill with Fresh oil again, (NOT the flush oil you just used), and hope for the best.

Gee, I get this strange sence, that in the near future, we will be reading questions from you that are something like,,, "why does my bike blow whiteish-blue smoke ?", or "why do I have a loud knocking sound in my engine ?" :rolleyes:

on edit-
While I was typing, Guenther basically told you the same thing.
I still say, Start with the Rislone wash, then follow what Guenther says to the letter.
maybe, JUST MAYBE you will get lucky, and not be looking at bigger issues very soon.

togup
09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
check your air cleaner while your at it midnight, that much sludge in your case is an indication of suckin in trash from somewhere.

dalejiw25
09-15-2010, 04:55 AM
"well i think im about haf retarted"

By God, I believe you answered your own question here again.

CJM
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Dont need to get all fancy with the flush stuff, a 1/2 a cup of trans fluid run in there for 5 mins should remove most of the sludge if not all. Seafoam would bed better tho.

Even so, Ron is right there is a major problem brewing..how often do you change the oil now?? Like once a season??? Cause I aint EVER heard of sludge build up like that before in a 400!

MidnightBlade
09-16-2010, 06:33 PM
i change my oil once every few weeks. i already cleaned and flushed the engine, waiting to get oil and filter now. and my air filter is clean and oiled. got it all taken care of

guenther
09-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure what you are using for oil but you probably need to change brands if you are creating sludge like that.

MidnightBlade
09-17-2010, 05:04 AM
i use non-synthetic valvolene 10w-40. the reason i think there was that much buildup is the guy i bought it off of had it for a year but was selling to get a utility so his wife could ride. the guy he bought it from had it since 05. it was not qiute broken in when i got it, and still never had the oil changed. as soon aas i got it i changed the oil but didnt flush the system because i didnt think it was that bad. guess i was wrong

CJM
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
i use non-synthetic valvolene 10w-40. the reason i think there was that much buildup is the guy i bought it off of had it for a year but was selling to get a utility so his wife could ride. the guy he bought it from had it since 05. it was not qiute broken in when i got it, and still never had the oil changed. as soon aas i got it i changed the oil but didnt flush the system because i didnt think it was that bad. guess i was wrong

That does make sense, I would run some seafoam in the oil (a cap or two full for a good 15 mins then do a change-should flush all the crap out.

MidnightBlade
09-17-2010, 06:48 PM
i dont have any seafoam so ill use the tranny fluid again, how much should i add? last time i added about a 1/2 cup of auto tranny fluid to the old oil.

CJM
09-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Id try for a quarter of a cup, its a very small engine ya know.

MidnightBlade
09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
ok get back tomorrow with the results