PDA

View Full Version : Getting more money when selling quad??

Ridiculous
09-12-2010, 10:37 AM
just wondering what's the best way to get the most money when selling your quad?

the quad i'm thinking of selling is an 02 300ex. it runs OK but the body is real beat up, and the sub frame is what i consider 'repairable', and it's just pretty much in OK condition, but there's a lot of good parts on it also...

so i was just wondering what ya'll can tell me from experience.

i understand that parting out would take longer, which isn't a problem for me, just looking to get the most money...

thanks guys!!

CJM
09-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Parting out usually gains you the most money.

However finding the right buyer is helpful too. I sold a pile of parts and rolling chassis 86 zuk 230 sport for 150 bucks, the motor was in pieces, the thing looked like hell. I expected to get a 100 for it but I was happy some guy offered 150.

sunco
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
U have a tall order. Ok quad does not = alot of money. If u sell it as is , u get a little money but if you fix it up & polish you'll get more. I think they = the same. One way might be a quicker sale. good luck with that.

honda250xrider
09-12-2010, 11:03 AM
parting out whole bikes is a hassle. I would sell it as is.

Trying to find a buyer for all the little parts is hard and most of the parts anymore for the 300ex are a dime a dozen.

Scro
09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Generally, if there are more aftermarket parts involved, you will get more of a return by parting it out. When parting out, you are going to be left with parts that nobody needs (brackets, bolts, etc.). If it's mostly stock, you would be better off selling as a whole.

250rAL
09-12-2010, 11:44 AM
The best way to get the most out of it is to take care of it in the first place. I just sold one of my machines in only two days and I got my asking price. The people were still calling after it was gone.

sunco
09-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Some peeps r out of touch as to the going price.

Example - some guy is trying to sell an 07 450R for 5700. I just bought one for 3000. almost half his asking price. All w/i 2 months time

Ridiculous
09-12-2010, 02:21 PM
thanks for your input guys!

i'm not set on selling it yet.

it's my girlfriends, and i was wanting to get her something a little nicer.

maybe i'll just get it running right and be happy...maybe that's the best thing to do considering she doesn't ride much anyway

yellowzo3
09-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
parting out whole bikes is a hassle. I would sell it as is.

Trying to find a buyer for all the little parts is hard and most of the parts anymore for the 300ex are a dime a dozen.

100% true. You'll be able to sell the engine, wheels, and stuff like that... But you'll end up with half a quad sitting in your shed and no buyers for any of the parts. Not to mention packing up every single thing to ship around the country...

Parting out only works if you have aftermarket everything on your bike. If you have a stock bike just sell it as a whole. You may make a few hundred more parting it, but it'll take you 5 times as long and you'll be running to the UPS store everyday to ship stuff.. Not to mention all the deadbeat buyers you have to deal with (giving you the runaround... telling you they want the parts and never paying or hearing from them again).

bbender85
09-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Generally, if there are more aftermarket parts involved, you will get more of a return by parting it out. When parting out, you are going to be left with parts that nobody needs (brackets, bolts, etc.). If it's mostly stock, you would be better off selling as a whole.

Originally posted by yellowzo3
Parting out only works if you have aftermarket everything on your bike. If you have a stock bike just sell it as a whole. You may make a few hundred more parting it, but it'll take you 5 times as long and you'll be running to the UPS store everyday to ship stuff.. Not to mention all the deadbeat buyers you have to deal with (giving you the runaround... telling you they want the parts and never paying or hearing from them again).

x2, x2. (x4 i guess? :D )

muddy400EX
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
parting out is just alot of hassle. only worth it if its a pro level bike

TCracin440ex
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
i parted an old 92 honda 250x back in like 02 or 03 and i still got parts leftover that was just un desired. ive got like 2 full boxes of parts that nobody wanted, not including all the hardware was left over. i got my moneys worth but sometimes s&h was a pita esp boxing up the big shyt like the plastics, and frame